This might be blasphemy, but I am looking for a distortion pedal for my AC30CC2. The top boost surely can sound nice but I am looking for something a bit different.

The cleans on this amp are magical (which is why I got it). Really sweet, bright and cutting. This together with a telecaster neck pickup is the perfect combination. I tried my RAT through this amp and it doesn't work too well. First of all, it sounds so harsh that when I turn the RAT off, my perception of my sound has changed and the cleans of the vox sound a bit dull in comparison. It also sounds like it's just added on top of the sound, it doesn't blend with the natural sound of the amp. I have heard it confirmed from a lot of people that RATs don't always play nice with AC30s so that should be nothing out of the ordinary.

So, what do I want instead? I want something that blends nicely with the AC30 clean sound. Something that is medium-gain, fat (important) and bright but not harsh. Your regular well indie rock distortion.

I also want something a bit lower gain. I've been looking at Boss BD-2 or OD-3. They seem to be very transparent which is something I want. I tried a BB preamp with this amp and it's just chaotic. Lacks clarity and sounds dull. Also tried a tubescreamer and no, it doesn't do it for me.

So, what am I looking for?
Do you want a Brian May tone (the obvious choice)? If so, Greg Fryer makes a few things which I guess are best suited for an AC30.
Screw those Boss pedals.

I use an Ibanez TS808 that I like a lot with the AC30, despite the pile-on of mids. Fulltone's Fulldrive 2 sounds totally awesome with the Vox. It lets the amp's tone shine thru, but really tightens and drives it.

Consider a vintage sounding fuzz and/or a treble booster with the AC30, too. Those types of pedals just really work with it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I think this deserves a bump.

Thank you slats. Don't like tubescreamers at all. Is the FullDrive tubescreamer-ish?

Fuzz is soon taken care of (will build a modified germanium Fuzz Face and also Fuzz Factory) and i have a treble booster here at my desk.

Meddled, I'm not sure. I like his tone, but I am also looking for some different tones.
Put the Treble Booster pedal through the normal channel.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Fulltones are much more transparent than the tubescreamers. Really worth a look, especially with the AC30.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by MrCarrot
Put the Treble Booster pedal through the normal channel.

Will do

Quote by slatsmania
Fulltones are much more transparent than the tubescreamers. Really worth a look, especially with the AC30.

Sounds perfect. The mosfet version or should I hunt down a regular one?
The Fulldrive is a great pedal. Its got 3 'modes', ones a clean boost, ones a 'flat mids' overdrive and the other one is a tubescreamerish middy OD. My favourite is the flat mids one - it take the overdrive and tone of your amp but just pushes it further and thckens it up.
I don't know what your budget looks like, but here's my list of favorites for the AC30 (they are picky, aren't they?)
-Lovepedal Eternity:
Pros: sounds very amp-like, has a treble boost knob
Cons: Expensive.
-Crowther Audio Hotcake:
Pros: designed for the AC30, has a very wide range of gain available
Cons: gets fuzzy at the top of the gain range, small dynamic loss
-Rangemaster Clone (tons of brands, most are very similar)
Pros: Compliments the AC30 tone very well, cuts through a mix
Cons: requires more volume to sound its best, adds some hiss
-Clean boost. I know it's boring, but the AC30CC has a pretty good master volume, and you can get some awesome tones with a good guitar and a clean boost by kicking the bright channel hard with a boost.
Pros: Transparent (duh!), cheap, fattens up the tone
Cons: boooooring.
I really did not like the Fulltones at all. The OCD has nice dynamics, but it sounded very processed to me. The FDII was ok but to me it didn't have any balls.
scott, the flat mids settings sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Colin, thank you. I will try to find a hotcake. If it's designed for the AC30, it'll probably work great. The AC30 is very picky about which pedals it can handle so that sounds promising.
^It's also for, you know, metal. Read the first post.
I also want something a bit lower gain.
if you're going zvex, try the box of rock over the box of metal. imo, its a much better unit.
^ The BOR is super-Marshally, though. It's kinda the point, and I dunno how that'd sound through an AC30.

I'm fully behind a Dallas Rangemaster clone. They sound beaut through any amp.
Quote by Roc8995
^It's also for, you know, metal. Read the first post.

He could always turn down the gain, but anyway I posted because they demo it on the exact amp he owns. A lot of people haven't heard what a distortion pedal sounds like through a Vox AC.
Quote by rhettro
I don't know how much you want to spend, but on the Zvex website, they demo their "Box of Metal" pedal on a Vox AC. It's $299 though.

http://media1.zvex.com/FLASH/BOM/index.html

I saw that demo earlier. It sounds surprisingly good for being through an AC30. That might be a pedal I'll get in the future, but it's damn expensive.

Quote by al112987
if you're going zvex, try the box of rock over the box of metal. imo, its a much better unit.

I will be making a DIY box of rock next week. Seems like a great pedal.

Quote by cokeisbetter
^ The BOR is super-Marshally, though. It's kinda the point, and I dunno how that'd sound through an AC30.

I'm fully behind a Dallas Rangemaster clone. They sound beaut through any amp.

I saw a youtube demo of a box of rock through an ac30 (gone now ) and is sounded really really good.