Hey all,

So my church youth group recently reacquired our bass (it was broken before) and i was wondering...

Is it alright to plug a bass (it's a Squier P-bass) straight into the PA? I've searched around google and stuff and it appears I need a DI box to balance out the signal, but I'm not sure if it will overwhelm the vocals and guitar or anything.

We don't have enough of a budget to buy an actual amp, so that's out of the question. So should I just go for straight in through a DI box or what? will the bass need to be EQ'ed differently in order not to blow out the PA speakers?

thanks
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Yeah you will need a DI. lespaulstudio has said all there is too say really.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
A nice DI box is the Hartke Bass Attack, has a good 3 band EQ as well as a Harmonic, effect mix and shape control. Has both clean DI signal output and one which is effected by the controls.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You dont *need* a DI box, you can plug straight into the mixer, into an unbalenced input, all the DI box really does is boost the signal so it can travel over great distances and give you some tone flexibility if it has an inbuilt EQ.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
awesome, thanks all.

two more things- is one of those fancy schmancy high end $200 DI boxes necessary, or will a $40 no-EQ one do just fine?

and also, lespaulstudio, what's the reason for needing to bring down the volume on the bass channel? drowning out other channels otherwise/improper EQ of the bass?

thanks again
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
^a $40 one will be fine, it just depends on what sorta tonal variety you need

You don't need to bring the level down persay but the input will be a lot hotter from a DI then the bass on it's own so you need to watch the gain level
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
How far are you from the mixing board, and how much tone shaping is built into each strip on the mixing board? You honestly might not get any better sound from a cheap DI than you will from just plugging straight into the board. Now a nice DI with some bass focused eq is a different matter, or if you have more than 25 feet of cable running between bass and board, then you probably want a boost.