Hey, I was thinking of doing a strat project, and I was wondering about the logistics of using beer as a stain for the wood. Here are some questions about it.

#1: Would this work?
#2: What type of beer would I use? (please no buddweiser, they are dead to me)
#3: What type of finish would I use on it? I am looking for a satin clearcoat.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
What a ****in waste of beer.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Least you can lick it...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Guiness! For that Rory Gallagher look. I dunno, use different beers to get a sunburst look? It might smell putrid, soften the wood, and generally not look to good.
You can get a 30 rack of keystone light for 15 bucks.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by freshtunes
You can get a 30 rack of keystone light for 15 bucks.

+1
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
... try it on scrap wood. Guiness is really dark, it could work well
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Better idea, use Kool Aid. That **** will stain anything. And it comes in many different colors.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Sunburst. DO IT TO IT! make two stains/beers run together. do something light and something dark on the outside. plus it'll smell of alcoholism anytime you're around
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Would the smell come through a finish?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Awesome, clear coat might mask the smell over? :p
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Clear coat might destroy the finish! The darkness of the beer is caused by the length of time the hops are roasted, so presumably the hops particles are suspended in the beer somehow? Allowing the beer to exaporate would take the particles out of suspension?
I'd be concerned about the stickiness. True stains soak into the wood... beer would leave a bunch of crap on top. It does stain though, spilled a Sam Adams on my guitarist's living room floor that didn't have carpet on it... wouldn't come up, but of course that's particle board and already looked like hell anyway.
Quote by Meddled
The darkness of the beer is caused by the length of time the hops are roasted

No, sorry dude.
As a related side note, lots of top custom guitar builders use pure grain drinking alcohol. They order these really hard baked shellac chips then dissolve them in pure grain. They rub it directly onto the wood, especially necks, to give it that fast satin feel but with a better look. The reason they use pure grain is that if you work with rubbing alcohol much, that stuff gets into your system and damages your optic nerve. Use pure grain and you just get a little buzzed instead of blind.
Yeah the yeast would probably turn your guitar into a sexually transmitted infection yo!
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
i know from messing around in my art class that coke if the surface is soft and and it is poured over it it will give a scaly effect. as far as beer.. cool idea but i would use a dark lager of some sort.
If you want a dark beer, I recommend leinenkugel creamy dark. As far as choosing beer, i recommend you get some friends together, and buy a bunch of cases of some micro brew you've never had before and get really really plastered. Then, use that beer to dye your guitar so every time you play you will be reminded of that time you got really drunk on some uniquely flavored beer you'd never had before.
Quote by freshtunes
Better idea, use Kool Aid. That **** will stain anything. And it comes in many different colors.

....wow that's a good idea....

yea beer is used in cooking a lot, particularly with seafood which i then translate to mean is has acidic qualities because if you use something with seafood you typically want it to be acidic to help get rid of the fishy taste. therefore, might not be such a hot idea to soak a piece of wood in. try it on scrap wood though and see if it works!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by corndogggy
No, sorry dude.

Actually, hes almost right but not, see the grains that are used in the brew will mainly give it all the coloring and flavoring, the hops provide the bitterness and aroma.
Why don't you use a dark wood stain and drink the beer? And why no Budweiser? Please don't tell it's because some foreign company bought them. The beer is still being made in the same place, by the same people with new owners. boohoo

Hell it might even taste better now
Yes it is, I never enjoy seeing an American establishment being bought out by those waffle-eating Belgians.

There is still some debate as to wether or not this would work underneath a clearcoat, anyone mind clearing this up for me?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Belgians actually know how to make beer, unlike you yanks.

And there's no way beer will substantially colour a piece of wood.
Well that's capitalism, and the American way

It should work under a clearcoat. Try a piece of test wood first.
I'd do it with some cheapo red wine instead. You could just get a scrap wood piece, do spots on it with different beers and wine and stuff and then coat it and see what happens.