Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new guitar to replace my Schecter S-1 Elite. Not that I didn't like that guitar - it was fantastic for the price, and a very, very well-rounded guitar. However, I feel I've found the limits of a £450 guitar, and it's time to move on.

My maximum price would be about £800 (around $1500 i suppose). I mainly play sort of melodic hardcore stuff, lots of chugs and a few solos thrown in - think Alexisonfire, Funeral for a Friend, Thrice, Fightstar, early, punkier Avenged Sevenfold etc.

My current setup is: Bareknuckle pickups (Miracle Man and Cold Sweat) -> ENGL Screamer 50 Combo.

I'm looking for something made of Mahogany, preferrably with a Maple top. Pickups aren't an issue because I will be putting the Bareknuckles in (so no EMG circuits please). I don't want a really thin neck, as I have quite large hands - the Schecter neck suited me fairly well - but I'd like it to be fast and easy to play.

I'd like something with a powerful, fat and full sound, and which has a good sound for chugging - the music I play at home and the music I play with my band involves a lot of fast chugging, which I like to be powerful yet precise.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Well, most of the guitars I know of that have a mahogany body and maple top are les pauls. That's really the only advice I have for you, and also, a new guitar is probably not going to revitalize your playing. Only revitalizing your playing with new stuff will do that. good luck.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Well I think the Schecter Blackjacks and Hellraisers are absolutely awesome, but if you HAVE to use all that money, look into a used PRS or maybe ESP or LTD Deluxe.
Quote by Aziraphale
Well I think the Schecter Blackjacks and Hellraisers are absolutely awesome, but if you HAVE to use all that money, look into a used PRS or maybe ESP or LTD Deluxe.

don't PRS' have very wide necks?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
don't PRS' have very wide necks?

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it would be decent.

Should seriously consider one.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I also think you should get a PRS

and good for you for giving a decent description of what you want
cant beat a PRS
they have varying necks so try different ones out
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by el_jimbo

I'd like something with a powerful, fat and full sound, and which has a good sound for chugging - the music I play at home and the music I play with my band involves a lot of fast chugging, which I like to be powerful yet precise.

Suggestions? Thanks!

You might want to try thicker strings.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
You might want to try thicker strings.

Thanks for the suggestion - but I already use Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms.
Gibson SG Standard should fit your big hands and suite your needs fine.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
if you've putting in other pickups anyways, why not get a body and neck from warmoth and just put it together.

even on this side of the pond it wont run up that much to get all the parts you need and get them shipped over (i really wish there was a european equivelent or warmoth, but i cant think of one tbh)
i'm not sure to be honest. i know i say this a lot, but £800 is a funny amount of money. some £800 guitars aren't all that much better than the £450 ones. save a bit more and you might manage to get quite a bit better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe a carvin? Fully customizable. It's pretty cool, and if you want to build a guitar, you can buy one of their kits.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure to be honest. i know i say this a lot, but £800 is a funny amount of money. some £800 guitars aren't all that much better than the £450 ones. save a bit more and you might manage to get quite a bit better.

I don't have a problem going cheaper, so long as it's a good guitar and an upgrade - £800 is my absolute top, and I'm unlikely to be able to spare more for a fair while. I'm just interested to see if there's an upgrade from my S-1 Elite (which is a good, but not great guitar)...

If a £450 is really worth it, then all the better - more money for other bits and bobs!
i kinda meant more that some £800 guitars might not be all that much of an upgrade from your schecter. don't get me wrong, some are; just not all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cool cool - which ones might be? are there any other Schecters that might be an upgrade from my own, such as the Blackjacks/Hellraisers/Classics?
i haven't tried too many schecters unfortunately.

i can only really tell you what i prefer over schecters. i'd rather have an MIJ prestige ibanez rg, for example, or a jackson sl3. but that might not be your style at all. I'd also prefer a japanese-made copy of gibsons and fenders (e.g. tokai, edwards etc.), but again that's probably not what you're after.

if you're willing to go second-hand, keep an eye out for patrick eggles from the 1990s (the serial number should be on the back of the headstock if it's a 90s one, and it should be in the form of:

model number : month of manufacture : year of manufacture : random serial number (order of manufacture, basically).

e.g. NY 3 94 1234 would be a new york model made in march 1994.

those'd be a lot better than a schecter if you ask me, but again might not be what you're after. EDIT: i think the serial numbers changed in the late 90s when they were still good, to random numbers. but if the serial number is on the headstock, i think it should be ok.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by el_jimbo
cool cool - which ones might be? are there any other Schecters that might be an upgrade from my own, such as the Blackjacks/Hellraisers/Classics?

Try them out, I've got a C-7 Blackjack and I love it. The Hellraisers feel and look amazing, I'm just not a fan of EMG's. The Classic is the exact same guitar as the Blackjack pretty much (maybe the neck wood is different), it's just got another look to it.

And the PRS necks come in different dimensions, the "wide thin" option is very comfortable and shred-friendly, while not feeling brittle and toyish (as I found most Ibanez necks). So just go out and try a few.