I've had my epi elitist les paul for less than a year and don't get me wrong, it's a great guitar, but I'm wondering if it's really worth having $1200+ invested in, especially when I'm a student and cash is scarce
I've been looking at the Ibanez S series and a few Schecter lines and wondering if I would really lose anything in terms of sound, quality or playability if I got one of those for about half the price of the LP that I still owe a couple hundred on anyway
anyone have experience with these products side by side? it's not even a gibson, but am I still paying that much for a name?
the only real difference between epiphone and gibson is epiphone is made over seas and gibson is made in the U.S. but they will both last u ur whole life and u will never need another guitar u might want 1 anyway tho
personally, i dont think that its is worth it. if it were me i would sell it and get a epi les paul standard plus top for 700$ cheaper. if you want a gibson name you could get a les paul studio for 200$ cheaper.

Peace

Look at some strats too they are the best
Quote by shadesofanger
Wait...Fat is a trend? I am soooooo getting into this trend now.

BLINK 182=EPIC WIN

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
it's definitely worth it, they are GREAT guitars, keep your elitist, better than a lot of gibsons, better than anything under what you paid for it
keep the god damn epi
hello
I would get another guitar. Just look online at musiciansfriend.com find something that is cheap and has great reviews, and buy it.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
I would get another guitar. Just look online at musiciansfriend.com find something that is cheap and has great reviews, and buy it.

don't buy something based on reviews - especially not reviews on a site thats trying to sell the product. they'll only show you the good reviews.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
don't buy something based on reviews - especially not reviews on a site thats trying to sell the product. they'll only show you the good reviews.

Really? You can pull up ANY guitar on Guitar center and see it ABSOLUTELY trashed!

Snap, crackle, pop
I read everything I could find about this guitar before I bought it. I really wanted to like this guitar but the three way switch on this and every other Epi LP I played was horribly noisy. Combined with a poor set up and a salesman who swears "even the $2000 Gibsons do that" and the only cases they stock are the SKB for $115 instead of Epi's $59 hard case. I returned it the next day. That switch noise is unacceptable even in a $100 guitar. Evidently, Epiphone concentrates their efforts on cosmetics more than performance. The salesman I dealt with the next day was VERY helpful. I finally left with a Custom Tele FMT at a very good price. I may never buy another Epi but I will return to the Tacoma, Wa GC.

Reviewed by DS on 7/18/2006 who plays Rock, blues, country.

0 people found this review helpful.
3 people found this review unhelpful.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes or No
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Last edited by Dav23 at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by Dav23
Really? You can pull up ANY guitar on Guitar center and see it ABSOLUTELY trashed!

Snap, crackle, pop
I read everything I could find about this guitar before I bought it. I really wanted to like this guitar but the three way switch on this and every other Epi LP I played was horribly noisy. Combined with a poor set up and a salesman who swears "even the $2000 Gibsons do that" and the only cases they stock are the SKB for $115 instead of Epi's $59 hard case. I returned it the next day. That switch noise is unacceptable even in a $100 guitar. Evidently, Epiphone concentrates their efforts on cosmetics more than performance. The salesman I dealt with the next day was VERY helpful. I finally left with a Custom Tele FMT at a very good price. I may never buy another Epi but I will return to the Tacoma, Wa GC.

Reviewed by DS on 7/18/2006 who plays Rock, blues, country.

0 people found this review helpful.
3 people found this review unhelpful.

exactly - while it goes against my original point a little, the majority of reviews seem to be either "WOW ITS THE BEST GUITAR EVER 10/10", or "its a POS don't buy it 0/10".

also a lot of those 3-way toggle switches are problematic.

edit: also notice how that review was at the bottom of the last page?

thats their way of hiding the bad reviews.

However on the first page of the LP special II reviews...

this Guitar is a steal

i just bought this guitar and it is absolutely under priced. The only downfall it has is staying in tune, so, i spent $35 for grover machine heads and it sounds as good as a gibson. i payed $185 dollars in all and it plays and sounds just as good as its bigger brothers. Its a great deal. I have been playing guitar for 15 years and have never found a guitar so good for such a great price.

Reviewed by Devin Hanson on 3/1/2007 who plays Classic Rock COuntry.
61 people found this review helpful.
12 people found this review unhelpful.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
exactly - while it goes against my original point a little, the majority of reviews seem to be either "WOW ITS THE BEST GUITAR EVER 10/10", or "its a POS don't buy it 0/10".

also a lot of those 3-way toggle switches are problematic.

edit: also notice how that review was at the bottom of the last page?

thats their way of hiding the bad reviews.

However on the first page of the LP special II reviews...

LOL true..true...
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Don't bother with epiphones, go to rondomusic.com, and get an al3100, tons better than an epi imo.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Eiephone SG's are not bad they dont have a bad sound at all. but f you put some EMG X like me you wouldnt really have to care lol
There is a bit of a difference between Epi and Gibson but it is small. Epis are made of mahogany but not the very expensive Honduran species. Then there is the pups but from the answer I got from Gibson they are made to the same specs as Gibsons pups just made overseas. I think Epis QC is actually better than Gibsons not only do they go thru a huge inspection progress before they leave China Gibson goes over them once they hit the states. I heard from a guy that worked at Gibson they will not mark a guitar as a second all Gibsons unless there is a huge flaw go out as grade 1. This probably explains why I play so many that just are bad. As far as Electronics Gibson now uses Chinese pots and switches so I don't even think there is a difference there anymore. My 2009 Explorer has the same numbered pots as my Epi flying V that is a few years old. Epi elitist are top of the line and from my info they still make them in Korea Check the serial number at the Guitar Dater project page. Supposedly they are a little better than the Chinese ones but I find them to be about the same now since Gibson built a plant in China that only builds Epis.

As far as putting in investing 1200 bucks in your Epi that is not bad especially if your pleased with it. I have seen people put 100s of bucks into $120.00 Squiers that will never be worth more than $90.00. As far as resale value you'll never get your money back but truthfully I buy and sell a slew of guitar and you can't sell a Gibson for what you paid or put into it. Trust me I buy them all the time and resell them I might make $100 to $200 on a guitar but I pay the absolute minimum. The only time Guitars go past their original selling price is when they are rare or vintage.

For example If you buy a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus for $2700.00 at GC in a year you would be lucky to get $1700 for it and unless you buy into GC buy back plan they would offer you $1200.00 to $1300.00 for it a little more in trade. I see Gibsons for sale all the time and they really do not hold the value the way people here say they do other wise I wouldn't make a dime.

John
Quote by JoePerry4life
Don't bother with epiphones, go to rondomusic.com, and get an al3100, which is made in the old epiphone factory; tons better than an epi imo.
fixed.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Yeah tons better because of the price vs quality. I'd take a made in korea agile over a made in china epi any day.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
epiphone elitists are some of the best guitars out there, made overseas out of high quality mahogany, not the alder maple mahogany mix you usually get, then they are shipped to the US to the gibson factory for pickups and set up, the elitists are actually on par with the old japanese epiphones which were dead ringers for gibsons. amazing guitars, obviously never by a guitar by reviews try them out. i dont like buying online, every guitar is different, even guitars back to back off the factory line, same model, will sound completely different. you have a great guitar, if you happy with the playability and sound, youll never find another one like it. id say keep it
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Do people here know about the Epi Elitists?

They're MIJ, not Chinese or Korean. They use the exact same wood and electronics as Gibson. They're just assembled in Japan, which is on par with American-made instruments. The main difference between an Epi Elitist and a Gibson standard is the finish. The Epi uses a poly finish and the Gibson uses a nitro finish. Is the Epi worth $1200? Yes, it's a good value. Does that mean you should keep it? Not really. If you're thinking of a Schecter or Ibanez, those are very different from an Les Paul. An S Prestige would be about the same quality as Epi but they're more expensive. A lower end S would be worse. The Schecter can't really compete in quality, but it doesn't try to. They make mid-range guitars and that's about it. You're only in high end territory when you get to Schecter Japan which we don't really have access to. Agile is nowhere near Epi Elitists. Agile make good guitars for the price. That doesn't mean they're amazing. Just good if you're on a budget. You already have a better guitar, don't downgrade. You can sell a guitar for something of equal or better quality and you'll be happy, but you'll probably want to kick yourself in the ass for downgrading.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 23, 2009,
Same old story... people don't seem to understand that Elitist's are not the same as Korean or Chinese Epi's. Statements based on the cheaper Epis and applied to the Japanese Epis are like saying Korean PRS guitars are the same as American PRS guitars.
If you like Gibson LPs you'll be hard pressed to match the Elitist in terms of materials, quality and as close to Gibson LP style, measurements etc than all others except Japanese built Burny, Orville and Tokai all of which will cost you more than $1200.00.
Moving on.....
The elistist are certainly good instrument but they are no where the same price range as the Agile.
Quote by Symtex
Take it from an Epi Ultra owner, Buy an agile.

Agile guitars are awesome; literally
I have to put my two cents in. Anyone that says epi and gibson are close in regards to quality wise is a fool. epi is an amazing guitar for the price. anyone that says different is entitled to their opinion, but i have a hard time putting down my eps. I got a used Dot studio off ebay for 180 and it is such a steal. even brand new its well worth the price.

no matter what you do to a guitar, if it's not vintage or rare it wont fetch a good resale price. it's like a car. once you take it off the lot, there is pretty much no turning back unless you have a place that has a good return policy.

only thing i have problems with epis are pick ups. they are great if you don't play gigs or use stacks and all that jazz. a lot of feedback. i plan on switching out all the pick ups in my epis and the epis i get. just goign to put gibson pick ups in them and they'll be straight. there isnt anything wrong with epiphone, i just think some people are too quick to hate.

as far as agile goes, ive never played one. id like to try them out, but since theyre pretty much epiphones i dont see them being bad or better than epiphone. ive talked to a few reliable people that i personally know and that actually know a lot about guitars and say they aren't any better than epiphone.

play what you what suits you best and support who you want, but in no way is epiphone a bad guitar.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 23, 2009,

I'm sorry,but there's just too much ignorance in this thread and it needs to be cleared up.

He isn't talking about a low end Chinese Epi,he's talking about a high end Epiphone Elitist that was made in Japan with the same materials and quality standards as Gibson models.

The Epi Elitist models sh*t all over Agile,lower end Epi,and even some Gibson models.

Please people,pay attention and do research before telling someone to get rid of a guitar for something else.If he actually listens to some of you dolts he'll be getting rid of a great guitar and bargaining down on some lower quality guitar that can't even compare to his original LP.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut

I'm sorry,but there's just too much ignorance in this thread and it needs to be cleared up.

He isn't talking about a low end Chinese Epi,he's talking about a high end Epiphone Elitist that was made in Japan with the same materials and quality standards as Gibson models.

The Epi Elitist models sh*t all over Agile,lower end Epi,and even some Gibson models.

Please people,pay attention and do research before telling someone to get rid of a guitar for something else.If he actually listens to some of you dolts he'll be getting rid of a great guitar and bargaining down on some lower quality guitar that can't even compare to his original LP.

You can keep saying it as I did in an earlier post but people just won't get it! Some guy owns a $400 Chinese or Korean Epi and judges Japanese Elitists based on their guitar! What can you do?!!!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
You can keep saying it as I did in an earlier post but people just won't get it! Some guy owns a $400 Chinese or Korean Epi and judges Japanese Elitists based on their guitar! What can you do?!!!

Hope they don't run the world...
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by KenG

Just try to correct them and hope TS notices I guess.

Trying to battle stupidity on UG is like trying to overcome the ocean in a f*cking rowboat.....you just have to hope for the best and keep trying.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I have briefly skimmed through this thread but with regards to epiphone guitars something astounds me.

Their hollow/semi-hollow body guitars are excellent, both tonally and also in playability. I cannot seem to understand why their solidbodies guitar often suffer from bad quality control, things falling apart, muddy pickups etc. They've got a major section of their guitar range being produced really well and sounding great - dare i say it, even being market leaders - while the remainder of the range is not up to scratch.

What is behind this disparity, even when they were all made in Korea, and why doesn't epiphone remedy this?

Note, I am speaking of epiphone generally, and not on epiphone elitist guitars. I don't know too much about them but if they're made in Japan, from good quality materials then the fundamentals are there for a good guitar.
I never says anything against the Elitist Series. I just said that there is a big gap price wise between the Elitist and the Agile. If I was in the market to spend 1200$ on a axe, Elitist would be first on my list. Theses days, I can only afford 400$. Agile is the best 400$ guitar on the market.
Quote by KenG

It's not that bad. It gives us "educated" consumers a better market. People like the TS might listen to the people here and sell their Elitists. No one will buy them because they're Epiphones according to how little people here know about them, so we'll get them for cheap. We'll just keep those gems for ourselves...well yourselves since I don't like Gibsons.
Quote by Kitty-madness
Agile guitars are awesome; literally
That is both the worst use of the word ''awesome'' and the worst use of the word ''literally'' I have ever come across. How are they "literally awesome"? Does being in their presence leave you short of breath? Do you find yourself unable to talk, overcome with a mixed feeling of fear and enlightenment when you see one?

I have yet to come across any American who uses ''literally'' correctly. This has been, by far and away, the worst case.

Quote by Duv
Their hollow/semi-hollow body guitars are excellent, both tonally and also in playability. I cannot seem to understand why their solidbodies guitar often suffer from bad quality control
There's three parts to this:
1) They produce more solidbody guitars (or solidbody style at least, I'm including chambered and weight relieved guitars in this catagory) than they do archtops. The rate of terrible guitars produced is the same for both types of instrument but because there are more solidbodies out there in the first place, you are more likely to find a bad solidbody than a bad archtop.
2) Epiphone's inital reputation was built on archtop guitars and many people believe their early archtops to be the best semi and full hollowbody guitars in existance. Quite rightly, some of their archtops are still built off their Elitist line while all the Elitist solidbody guitars stopped being produced a couple of years ago. There is a good chance that someone might pick up an Epi archtop and it'll be an Elitist model; whether they're aware of this is another matter (as this thread proves, few are).
3) Epiphone make a number of really low-end LPs and SGs that are bound to contribute to their poor reputation in quality, but they don't really produce a true low-end budget archtop (closest they come is the Dot Studio which is still £100 more than the LP and SG Specials). So while they do have plywood craptastic guitars to sour the reputation of their SGs and LPs, they don't have such cheaply made archtops to begin with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The Elitists are a great guitar. If you have any queries about Japanese build quality - put a Japanese car next to an American car and tell me which one has the better build quality.

Seriously though - hang on to the Epi. You are going to burn cash simply by selling it (as it is now "used" and not worth what you paid new for it) so changing guitars won't leave you that much better off.

Schecters are good guitars, but very flavour of the month (that's right, "flavour" has a "u" in it!!!) so in a few years time when some other brand becomes flavour of the month they will be a dime-a-dozen and not have much resale.