Epiphone question- I know from the product reviews that the Les Paul 100 is thinner and smaller than the standard Les Paul, but what's the big difference between the Les Paul Studio and the Les Paul Standard on the Epiphone line? Is it a body difference, a humbucker difference, or is there a different wood that's used? Is the difference negligible or big enough to warrant looking at the Standard instead? Money is a moderate concern.

I've always owned Strats, but I'm kind of done with the "Fender sound".
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Last edited by eminentgonz at Jul 29, 2008,
My Studio and Standard are very similar - mostly on the ethsetics is there a difference. The Studio has the non-covered pick ups, Dot inlays, and no binding....the Standard has the nickle covers on the pick ups, trapezoid inlays, and binding. Little better quality, but mostly on the ethsetics then anything

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Oh, so that's why some have that metal cover. I thought there was something special in the metal cover that linked the pickups that allowed them to humbuck. That's was the biggest visual difference I noticed.

Can those covers easily be installed on a Studio later? The humbucker is a big selling point.
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Last edited by eminentgonz at Jul 29, 2008,
both are humbuckers - they are exactly the same, one has the nickle covers, one does not. When I installed my Duncans in my Standard, I took the covered PU's and put them in my Studio, no sound difference, just looks cooler (my Studio is solid black with all chrome hardware so the covered PUs just added to the look)

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
If you are going for good sound AND good look, the standard is a better choice, and honestly worth the extra $$

The studio is still good, but the standard is a little better in terms of playability - but looks a little more refined. The studio is more of a at-home practice model vs the Standard as a gig worthy alternative.

hope that helps

ps - check out my profile, I have pics of both my Studio and Standard - keep in mind the pic of the Studio is with the stock pu's, not the chrome ones I recently put in.

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Last edited by Tyler Durden at Jul 29, 2008,
A mate of mine had a Epi Studio with covered 'bucks on them...

I dunno where he bought it though..
Cam Sampbell's my hero