I'm looking for something that is high output but is still able to pull of cleans. I mostly play metal (everything from Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, etc. to Machine Head, DevilDriver, etc. and everything in between) but sometimes I do need to clean my tone up a bit because I dabble in blues, jazz, and classic rock. I hate active pickups so they are definitely out of the picture.
how about a higher output bridge pickup coupled with a lower output neck pickup? as long as you don't use the in-between setting much (both pickups on), that can work pretty well.

what guitar is it, and what's your amp? can't really recommend anything until we know that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge or a Bill Lawrence XL500, DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck

I have the 2 DiMarzios and they can do all stuff pretty well and the super distortion is really high output, i put the bill lawrence cause i have head of a lot of metal guitarists using it and that it sounds great clean
Quote by Dave_Mc
what guitar is it, and what's your amp? can't really recommend anything until we know that.

Its an Epi G-400 with Grovers - excellent guitar... don't need to upgrade to a new one, just needs some better pickups.

I actually run my guitar into two amps via an EHX Switchblade - a '74 Fender Bassman half stack for the cleans and an Ashdown Fallen Angel half stack for the dirty channel - right now I'm using a DigiTech Death Metal for the really heavy stuff but I'm booting it and getting an Ibanez TS-9... the Death Metal is a piece of gear left over from my SS days that I just never got around to upgrading.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Its an Epi G-400 with Grovers - excellent guitar... don't need to upgrade to a new one, just needs some better pickups.

I actually run my guitar into two amps via an EHX Switchblade - a '74 Fender Bassman half stack for the cleans and an Ashdown Fallen Angel half stack for the dirty channel - right now I'm using a DigiTech Death Metal for the really heavy stuff but I'm booting it and getting an Ibanez TS-9... the Death Metal is a piece of gear left over from my SS days that I just never got around to upgrading.

Setup in my sig works really well and both pups are relatively high gain. Good luck!
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I've always had great success with the "do it all" Seymour Duncan '59/JB setup (some like the Jazz/JB over '59). Its very versatile, the JB is a high output humbucker that actually has quite a bit of character and is super versatile, enough gain for most metal but can clean up decently well by rolling off your volume. Good for lead playing, lots of high mids, cuts through real well. Pretty cheap too.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

thanks. are you in the USA? that'll affect prices, availability and value, basically.

also, i'm not too well up on sgs, but from what i hear, you want to either go with low output pickups, or high... in-between allegedly can sound muddy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In the bridge I'd suggest my beefbucker. It's got the output of an EMG but it's also got acoustic like cleans. In the neck you will want something around 10k to 14K with an alnico 5 magnet. I'd suggest my a Seymour Duncan custom 5, bare knuckles Emerald, or one of my warm heritage pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Alright. Thanks to everyone who pitched in with their thoughts. I was leaning toward either a Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo or a DiMarzio Super Distortion/Some other DiMarzio but I really wanted to get some more opinions before I made any decisions.
How much are you willing to shell out?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
location and budget for a start

but still. on the assumption that you actually play heavy metal and jazz and arent just saying it to be 1337, then i'd be for a pup suited for each in both positions

i havent come accross a high output bridge pup with decent cleans, but then again, you wont be using the bridge for jazzy tones anyway. for the blues aspect, you'd prolly be after an alnico pup for nice loose low end, but a ceramic pup would be favoured for metal. i'd prolly say a swineshead warthog (alnicoV) for the bridge, its not too hot for blues, especially when combined with another pup, and can easily do metal no bother
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
location and budget for a start

but still. on the assumption that you actually play heavy metal and jazz and arent just saying it to be 1337, then i'd be for a pup suited for each in both positions

i havent come accross a high output bridge pup with decent cleans, but then again, you wont be using the bridge for jazzy tones anyway. for the blues aspect, you'd prolly be after an alnico pup for nice loose low end, but a ceramic pup would be favoured for metal. i'd prolly say a swineshead warthog (alnicoV) for the bridge, its not too hot for blues, especially when combined with another pup, and can easily do metal no bother

There is no budget or I would have already stated that.

Also, why would I say that I play something if I actually didn't?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
There is no budget or I would have already stated that.

Also, why would I say that I play something if I actually didn't?

nothing personal, just i see so many noobs going "look at me, i play more genres than you thought even existed, how cool am i"

anywai, if you dont have a budget, you could probably do a bit better than swineshead.

duncan springs to mind

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
nothing personal, just i see so many noobs going "look at me, i play more genres than you thought even existed, how cool am i"

anywai, if you dont have a budget, you could probably do a bit better than swineshead.

duncan springs to mind

Well first off why would I care about impressing a bunch of people on the internet? lol

And second I'm not a noob when it comes to actual guitar playing, just when it comes to tone shaping - I've never really given a **** about my tone but now I'm in a situation where I'm going to be doing some recording and stuff where having good tone is actually an important factor.
super distortion/PAF pro combo would be perfect for you
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by al112987
I've always had great success with the "do it all" Seymour Duncan '59/JB setup (some like the Jazz/JB over '59). Its very versatile, the JB is a high output humbucker that actually has quite a bit of character and is super versatile, enough gain for most metal but can clean up decently well by rolling off your volume. Good for lead playing, lots of high mids, cuts through real well. Pretty cheap too.

+1
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

duncan springs to mind

Jazz maybe, but heavy metal? Even though I'm new here, almost every thread I've seen is "I want super high gain for t3h br00t4lz m3t4l.

to the OP:

if budget isn't a problem, check out WCR Filmore's. Basically hot wound PAF clones. WCR makes some of the best pickups on the market (imo)

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore.html
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm looking for something that is high output but is still able to pull of cleans. I mostly play metal (everything from Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, etc. to Machine Head, DevilDriver, etc. and everything in between) but sometimes I do need to clean my tone up a bit because I dabble in blues, jazz, and classic rock. I hate active pickups so they are definitely out of the picture.

Bareknuckles..
bill lawrence should do the trick. i heard that dime used it for his clean parts too, and his cleans sound nice. i've never really heard of bare knuckles, but u should try em out. and the JB '59 set is very versatile. i dunno really wat to tell u, i dont think ur gonna end up with disapointments
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.