Ok here's the story.

For the last year my dream guitar has been a PRS. Opeth, The Blackout, Mark Tremonti, Santana...so many good bands use PRSs. Anyway I've been saving up and can finally afford the PRS SE custom I've been looking at.

However about a week ago I discovered that Omar Rodriguez-Lopez now has a signature Ibanez. I tried it out and it sounded awesome, and it's £190 cheaper!

I'm now really torn over which guitar to choose. Should I buy the cheaper ORM1 and spend the other £190 on pedals, or should I stick with the PRS? Has anyone heard of any problems/major plus points that would help swing the vote?

And please no-one say "buy a new amp with the £190" or something, I'm happy with my Peavey Valveking
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Jul 29, 2008,
id take the prs se for the sake of having a neck pickup, and its a nice guitar.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I've always had this type of problem...i want something for so long, and then just before i get it another thing pops up that catches my eye.
Whenever i've bought the "other thing", i still wanted the original.

If it was me i would get the thing you've wanted for so long, and if it isn't what you had hoped for you can sell it and buy the Ibanez.
Quote by RatmN'Roses
have you tried the prs yet?

Yeah I have.

Personally I found the Ibanez slightly nicer to play, but that's cause the stock strings felt closer to my own gauge choice, the ones on the PRS were a tad to thick.

See I really want to get more pedals so I can be more experimental ie get Delay, Ocatve pedals etc, but then again nearly everyone has praised the SE whereas I can't find any reviews for the ORM1.

Another thing is the playability factor. The ORM1 is smaller and lighter, and I found it much easier to move around with (meaning I could easily run and dance around onstage easily :P), however the PRS has more frets and a thinner neck (at least it felt that way), so it may be easier to play solos etc.

I've sat weighing the guitars up over and over and I really can't decide. Does anyone have any experience with either of these guitars? How they've felt about them after a few months of ownership, how versatile they are etc.

If it helps to know, the music I mainly play is post-hardcore/rock (hence the ATDI/Mars Volta obsession). However I also play metal, death metal, pop punk...pretty much anything. I really need a guitar that'll "work" in any situation.
buy a new amp with the $190
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
prs ses are pretty expensive here. if you ask me, they aren't worth it.

i haven't tried that ibanez, though. if you prefer it, it'd make sense to get it, i guess. what kind of budget are you talking, and for what type of music?

it's hard to beat the washburn x50pro or wi65 pro for the £200-£400 price bracket if you ask me... come stock with duncans, buzz feiten, grovers etc. machinehead is blowing out wi65pros for £239, while gak is selling the x50pro for £300.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
prs ses are pretty expensive here. if you ask me, they aren't worth it.

i haven't tried that ibanez, though. if you prefer it, it'd make sense to get it, i guess. what kind of budget are you talking, and for what type of music?

it's hard to beat the washburn x50pro or wi65 pro for the £200-£400 price bracket if you ask me... come stock with duncans, buzz feiten, grovers etc. machinehead is blowing out wi65pros for £239, while gak is selling the x50pro for £300.

I'd mainly be playing rock/post-hardcore music with it (at least in terms of recording/live music). Kinda Biffy Clyro crossed with glassJAw.

I need something that's got a heavy crunch to it, but still has a more subtle edge to it.

If I had more money I was also looking at a Jazzmaster, but that's another story (unless someone knows where I could get one for under £400).
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
I'd mainly be playing rock/post-hardcore music with it (at least in terms of recording/live music). Kinda Biffy Clyro crossed with glassJAw.

I need something that's got a heavy crunch to it, but still has a more subtle edge to it.

If I had more money I was also looking at a Jazzmaster, but that's another story (unless someone knows where I could get one for under £400).

i'd definitely consider those two washburns i suggested.

i'm not too well up on the music you like, but i'm going on the fact that you said "heavy crunch but still with a more subtle edge".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd definitely consider those two washburns i suggested.

i'm not too well up on the music you like, but i'm going on the fact that you said "heavy crunch but still with a more subtle edge".

Ok I'll try and look for them so I can test em out too and then make an informed decision.

Usually I would ignore people on new suggestions but I think you were the one who told me to get a Peavey Valveking so you hath earned my trust. :P
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?