Page 1 of 2
I bought a new 3 foot speaker cable today and put it between my brand new Krank Rev Jr. and the cab replacing the 6 foot speaker cable since I thought it would get a better signal with the shorter speaker cable. I live in the United States the ohms is on 8 and the voltage is on 100/120, and the 3 foot speaker cable was in left/left. All of the sudden I was playing and when I would stop my amp would be saying "beebeebebebeeepebeeebepebeebp" and the head was WAY HOT!! did I fry my Rev Jr?!!!! I haven't turned it back on yet as it is still cooling down.

I always let it warm up for a minute when I turned it on, never turned it on without the speaker cable hooked up.

Please tell me what happened and that it will be alright.
Last edited by ZackRadical at Jul 29, 2008,
Whew I let it cool down and turned it back on, no noise, but I'm sure I took a lot of life off those tubes....damn I just bought the thing.
What could be wrong with the cable that it could be bad? It was working fine at first, then ten minutes later the heat and the noise.
Quote by ZackRadical
What could be wrong with the cable that it could be bad? It was working fine at first, then ten minutes later the heat and the noise.

If it was a gutiar cable you would have been in the clear but a bad speaker cable and tube amp dont mix... And could have been a bad solder connection, short or something else causing the impedance to be off and so on and so on... Thats why i usually spend the cash and buy the good stuff when it comes to speaker cables. But even then you never know...
So does anybody know how I go about buying replacement tubes for this amp? I'm hoping it's only the tubes that were hurt here Which tubes would I buy?
Bah, they probably came with sovteks anyways. Good riddance.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Bah, they probably came with sovteks anyways. Good riddance.

That's like saying "well, he only drives a Honda. I hope he wrecks, so he has a reason to buy a BMW". That makes me sad. Cheap speakers, pots and tone caps, pickups, cables, and pedals are all just as important to do something about.
Hey when you turn on your tube amp how hot are the tubes suppsod to get? I just turned it on and played for about 15 minutes and the tubes are hot to the touch.
Even when I just turn it on and let it sit with the volume off, after 5 minutes the tubes are hot to the touch, is this bad? What can I do about it?
Tubes are supposed to be hot..
Why are you touching them when they're hot? idiot..

No offense.
Signatures are overrated.
Well, I wasn't dumb enough to burn myself. They got so hot earlier the amp started breaking. I am worried.
Yeah my rev jr seems to get VERY HOT too.
I think I'll remove the metal grill on the back of the amp and see if it improves things, you might want to do the same.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
it was became so hot that when I would stop playing and sit idle it was making these beeping sounds i felt the top of the head and it was incredibly hot
Take the back grille off and leave it off, this lets more of the heat out. If the beeping is gone now then don't worry about it. As for you frying the tubes, I wouldn't be too worried about it as it was only very hot for a short time which probably did not much at all. But maybe a tube change is in order. It made ALOT of difference when i replaced all of my tubes in my dsl100.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Alright, I'm glad to hear it. If I were to change the tubes, which new ones should I buy? Can I get a link?
What tubes does your amp take?

What kind of sound are you looking for?

What don't you like about your sound now?
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
I just bought my Rev Jr about 2 weeks ago. It has Sovtek tubes. I'm not sure what kind it takes. I like the tone punchy, crunchy, tight and of course, heavy. I like the tone of bands like Pantera (I know I'm not going to get that tone because Dimebag used SS amps) Annihilator, and Testament.
Ok in the instruction manual it says it takes Sovtek 5881/6L6 power tubes

It says the preamp section is fitted with Stock high grade/low micro-phonic tested 12AX7 preamp tubes.
Okay well Tung-Sol preamp tubes are said to be really good. I put JJ's in my preamp and it made SO much of a difference. I'm trying to find some Tung-Sols just to find out if they really are that good but no luck just yet. For the power section your amp takes 6L6's (I think). Have a look at the tube sticky in this forum.

You can also mix your preamp tubes around. I tried a mix of JJ's and EH but i found the EH made it a bit muddy, so i put in all JJ's with a gold pin in the V1 slot.

Because your amp doesn't take many tubes, you could experiment with the tubes without it being a big loss of money.

Find out how to bias your amp for the power tubes. With the preamp tubes, you could order some now and put them in as soon as you get them. It's just a matter of taking the old ones out, and putting the new ones in. It will proabably make your amp sound alot better.
Quote by atr5557
It's night time here right now so I can't fire up my amp. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to turn it on to see if I really messed it up or not. It still works, but the thing that I'm worried about is it heating up to extreme temperature in like 15 minutes. By extreme I mean the power tubes are ready to explode.
Quote by ZackRadical
It's night time here right now so I can't fire up my amp. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to turn it on to see if I really messed it up or not. It still works, but the thing that I'm worried about is it heating up to extreme temperature in like 15 minutes. By extreme I mean the power tubes are ready to explode.

Power tubes get extremely hot. So hot that if you touch them with your fingers, your skin can stick to the tube and rip it off when you pull away because it's so hot. With my dsl401, it got very very hot. The front plate was very hot. I took the back grille off and nothing ever went wrong. Your amp has an enclosed space in which the tubes are, which means it will become hotter than other amps and happen quicker than other amps. Just take the back grille off and leave it off so there is proper air flow.

How new/old is the amp?
Quote by atr5557
I just bought the amp two weeks ago. I bought a new 3 foot speaker cable table (16g, whatever that means) to replace my 6 foot speaker cable (which works fine but I'm not sure about anymore. I put on the new speaker cable and played guitar for about 20 minutes, stopped for about 15 minutes, and then played for another 15 minutes and the amp head became so hot that when I'd stop playing it was making this sound like this "beebeepbeebeeepbeeebeppbeeebp"
Quote by ZackRadical
I just bought the amp two weeks ago. I bought a new 3 foot speaker cable table (16g, whatever that means) to replace my 6 foot speaker cable (which works fine but I'm not sure about anymore. I put on the new speaker cable and played guitar for about 20 minutes, stopped for about 15 minutes, and then played for another 15 minutes and the amp head became so hot that when I'd stop playing it was making this sound like this "beebeepbeebeeepbeeebeppbeeebp"

Oh, you're saying it made the noise because it got hot. Sorry, i misunderstood. have you played it since it made that noise? If not, play it tomorrow, with your old cable. Let it warm up for ten minutes then play though it for an hour or so? Stop playing for a bit (leave power on) then come back and see what happens maybe. If nothing has happened so far, plug in the new cable you got, and then go from there. One thing to remember is, you just bought the amp, so you can take it back and they can get it repaired. I had a BIGGG mishap with my amp.

I originally went to get the dsl50. They said yeah, we will order it and should be in in two weeks. Four months later the amp was finally in my house. When i went to play it that night, all excited, it didn't work. I tried everything to figure out the problem. That night we travelled (me and mum) to the store which is 45 mins away. Turns out the channel switch in the amp was faulty which caused the channels to get muddled up or something. It went good then bad when we took it back and tried it at the shop to see what was wrong. I asked him what price he could do for the dsl100 which they had in stock and i got it for only 85 dollars more and he gave me two packs of strings.

When we got home i plugged in the amp, all was fine. The next day i noticed a big crackle through the amp and if i tapped on it, i could hear the crackle. We took it back, got it sent away and got it repaired and it was in my house a week and a half later. It was a loose solder joint in the EQ pots.

Finally i have a great amp.

Through all of that I've learned ALOT about amps and what to test for when trying out an amp.

Sorry for that blabber.
Quote by atr5557
Here's an email I recieved from Eurotubes a week or two ago. I said that I would like to get a more gain out of the amp and also have it run a little quieter.

The Krank Revolution Jr uses a pair of 6L6's and four 12AX7's so we use the JJ 6L6GC’s and ECC83S preamp tubes in them which are less brittle in the highs than the stock sovteks and the JJ's have a more harmonically complex mid and a deeper and tighter low end so it's a nice up grade. I would use a graded and balanced ECC83S in the phase splitter hole which is the preamp tube that's closest to the power tubes ( the farthest preamp tube from the input jack ). This will eliminate any dead spots due to phase cancellation.

The only other option would be if you want any of the preamp tubes premium graded for gain which would run 4.00 more per tube. The high gain ECC83S's have about 10% more gain than standards which adds a bit of bite and a sharper dynamic but does not hurt the clean tone. The other attribute that these tubes have is a faster filament rise time which is great for a Malmsteen, Petrucci or Satriani type style and is also good for fast palm mute and metal styles. If you decide to use these I would use them in all three positions with one balanced for V3 which would add 9.00 to the cost below.

A full retube with a matched pair of the JJ 6L6GC's and three JJ ECC83S ( one balanced for the phase splitter ) would run 65.50 and we can ship and insure the order by Priority mail for 8.00 with a 3 day delivery anywhere in the US.

You might want to use the same reccomendations.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Thanks for the help you guys. I just wonder why they'd put such crappy tubes into this thing.
Alright my amp is fine!!! I'm just curious how much life I took off of those tubes

Howey, it sounds like I'm going to end up getting some better tubes from Eurotubes in a couple of months.

They say the Krank Rev Jr uses 4 12AX7 tubes but I only see two.

I'll definitely go with the JJ 6L6GC power tubes and the ECC83S preamp tubes premium graded for gain, unless somebody can recommend me better tubes. I know nothing about tubes, so I hope this is my best bet, if it isn't name some other tubes and please explain why they are better.
Shouldn't have taken much life out of the tubes. Don't worry about it. If you notice the tone degraded then get some new tubes if you think it's necessary.
Quote by atr5557
They say the Krank Rev Jr uses 4 12AX7 tubes but I only see two.

Same man....
Its my first tube amp but I'm pretty sure that there are only 2 in there, I can see a metal cylinder which could possibly have one inside of it, if so that would still only be 3 :S
Oh well, can't hurt to have spares I guess.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Same man....
Its my first tube amp but I'm pretty sure that there are only 2 in there, I can see a metal cylinder which could possibly have one inside of it, if so that would still only be 3 :S
Oh well, can't hurt to have spares I guess.

If I'm correct the metal cylinder contains a tube. The other one could be hiding.

Quote by atr5557
That little bastard!
I will track it down :P
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Yes, please find out if this thing has 2/3/4 preamp tubes. I've always heard that it has 4 tubes total, (2 power and 2 preamp) but it sounds like there is at least 3, so there is probably 4 if Eurotubes says so....
I've just had a look on a few different sites and I'm pretty sure that there is only 3 pre amp tubes. One must be located inside of the metal cyclinder *god I'm such a noob when it comes to tubes :P*
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
This metal cylinder is often, and I'm saying often, the phase inverter tube. This tube is most likely to become microphonic, which is why the metal casing is around it, Inside the metal cylinder there should be a spring, which when in place, holds the tube firmly so if it does become slightly microphonic, doesn't pick up much sound and doesn't rattle.

Sometimes though the tube with the casing isn't the Phase inverter, but is the V1 tube, which is the case in my amp.
Quote by atr5557
Page 1 of 2