Page 1 of 2
Right now I have an entry level guitar, which I love and is great, but its not really great for gigs and such but I'm not all that rich. Is there a good alternative to the Les Paul for hard rock that costs less than $1,200 or so? I was looking at some Fender HSS models, which are more affordable, but from my experience, Fender is better for clean or light distortion. Thanks in advance.

Note: I play a lot of Led Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Wolfmother, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Rage Against the Machine, and Audioslave. I occasionally play Red Hot Chili Peppers and some modern metal.
Gibson SG?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
for that much you can get pretty much any type of guitar you want, go to a shop, and play every guitar there in your budget, then go to another shop and repeat until happy
epiphone les paul elitist
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
The HSS Strat is more versitile, so go for it. You should try it out first though...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
japanese copies (edwards, tokai etc.) are pretty sweet, normally start around the $800 mark. that's if you want a copy (as opposed to a different style of guitar which can be used for similar styles of music).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I had the money, I'd blow my load on an Ibanez PGM301, Paul Gilbert's guitar. Such beautiful tone for classic rock.
high end ltd ec or the standard ec esp
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by Morphox
If I had the money, I'd blow my load on an Ibanez PGM301, Paul Gilbert's guitar. Such beautiful tone for classic rock.

Quote by BrianApocalypse

Exactly what I was thinking.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Fender HSS and LP's are my taste.Fender HSS can cover a wide array of tastes though maybe not a master of a certain genre but covers different types of music pretty good.

I never showed these before on a guitar forum and it is from a camcorder speaker so the sound is not as good as if in the room but I guess these will give you a idea that the HSS can rock hard.The amp has alot to do with it to.My black Strat I have double EMG humbuckers and it gets a thick sound.The blonde strat are stock Fender pickups.

My CD player RPM's ran just a little fast so I tried to tune up just a tad to match the player but it sounds a little off at times I think.

I do these vids to critique myself and see where my weaknesses are,like the Kravitz tune I just kinda rambled on the solo,I can do better than that but the vids help me see and hear things I wouldn't notice otherwise like wrong bending and stuff.

But the HSS is capable of handling classic rock up to metal,it just depends on the amp mix and distortion.Im trying to learn a boat load of different covers old and new to play out with so I am not trying to get a perfect recreation tone for all styles just something Im happy with overall.

click to view

But I do love a LP also

If what you truely want is an LP, your not guna be happy with the sounds you get from a strat, even if it is HSS. You could always go with an SG, and used gear can be great too. Just search around music stores and play some stuff.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
If what you truely want is an LP, your not guna be happy with the sounds you get from a strat, even if it is HSS. You could always go with an SG, and used gear can be great too. Just search around music stores and play some stuff.[/QUOT

exactly!!

you didnt say what your budget was..other than you didnt want to spend $1200 if i am reading your post correctly.

you shouldnt have a problem finding a used gibson les paul just under $1000.

try before ya buy

good luck
and ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000, in Amber Sunburst. Or soemthing remote to that.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
^ i include japanese epiphones in the "japanese copy" bracket
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
japanese copies (edwards, tokai etc.) are pretty sweet, normally start around the $800 mark. that's if you want a copy (as opposed to a different style of guitar which can be used for similar styles of music).

Or if you're a bargain hunter and/or lucky and/or visit Japan, you can find some for about half that price.

Quote by Dave_Mc

Don't forget the Orville by Gibson and Burny copies. The cool thing about the MIJ copies is that they have the proper headstocks.

levisson blade rh4 will have everything you need
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
^ enough with the blades already! they're really nice guitars, but i don't think they do a LP-alike...

Quote by Ippon
Or if you're a bargain hunter and/or lucky and/or visit Japan, you can find some for about half that price.

Don't forget the Orville by Gibson and Burny copies. The cool thing about the MIJ copies is that they have the proper headstocks.

oh yeah, of course (to both counts). I just couldn't be bothered listing them all.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, I meant that he should look at the brands you recommended and then the Epiphone in addition.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
schecter totally fits the bill. my c1 plus with dimarzio super distortions can get some beefy les paul tones
Check out Fernandes Monterey Deluxe, if you look around you can get it fairly cheap like $600. You can check out the specs (better then a Les Paul Studio) on their website (google it). I got one instead of a Les Paul and it's AMAZING. But hey don't take my word for it, check it out youself.
Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief.
my favorite looking guitar atm is the michael kelly patriot series
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
if i were you i would definately try to get a hold of a greco/tokai/burny/orville/edwards/etc japanese made "lawsuit" Les Paul

many of the 80s japanese copies are cheaper and equivalent/better quality than modern USA models

but ofcourse, its a challenge to try one before buying it, since most are only available on ebay

or you could always get a Carvin, they are amazing
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
get a PRS or a schecter
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
yes...gibsons realy suck!!!..there gawd-awful things of tremdous despair!!..and because i feel sorry for anyone who ownes one of these pieces of crap..i am willing to replace any gibson lespaul or gibson sg with the equal copy of your choice!!!....

and i am dead serious!!!...

why am i doing this good deed for my guitar brotheren???

cuz i love ya's!!

xoxoxoxo
Quote by jessexxx
yes...gibsons realy suck!!!..there gawd-awful things of tremdous despair!!..and because i feel sorry for anyone who ownes one of these pieces of crap..i am willing to replace any gibson lespaul or gibson sg with the equal copy of your choice!!!....

I know gibson's factory set up isnt so... up to par... but gibsons are the best
How about the Agiles from rondomusic.com?
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I don't know, schecters and ibanez are great, but their appearance throws me off a little. Maybe I'll just have to suck it up.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Page 1 of 2