hey all, I was just curious how you all practice. I am finding lately that what I normally did when I first started back in December is no longer working for me. I do scales usually but I have seen a few people say that knowing all scale forms is not necessary but rather a few key scales and to know the theory behind them and creating scales of my own.
also I was wondering how you all practice power chords, I'm finding the shape alone weird so I guess I'll ask this question first. do you barre the fifth fret or do you just use your first fingertip on the fifth fret. I'm also finding it difficult to slide up and down the strings because of the shape of the power chord. I've been trying with just using my first fingertip on the fifth fret because I found it easier to slide, but I get hand cramps after a while, and I'm wondering if that's normal in the beginning.
my main concern right now however is just trying to find new and effective ways of practicing, I've found while my actual finger speed has increased a lot in the past three weeks because of the amount of scales I've been doing, I both don't really know what to do with the new speed that I have it, or what to do with the scales I have memorized.
can anyone help point me in a direction? honestly any suggestions would actually be very helpful
About the scales question...It's good to know the minor pentatonic and Major scales. Those two are kind of a must learn thing. Yes, know how to construct the minor scale and all those modes you want to learn.

Then, whatever other scales you want to learn is up to you. Two popular ones some people learn are Natural minor and Harmonic/Melodic minor. It would be best if you figured out them by yourself, just for more of an understanding.

I don't follow your powerchord question. It's just about practice.

Practice with the "1234" Chromatic exercise as a warm up, then any other exercise that I'm trying to work on, then I would do the scales/modes im trying to get down for song use, then probably some songs. I also practice with Www.metronomeonline.com
awesome, I don't know, lately I've been finding I have had a lack of direction when practicing.
and never mind about the power chord question I reread it and figured it out and realized it was actually silly :P
I suppose I should apologize to all forum members, I'm the only person out of my friends who enjoys playing an instrument so I might come on and ask what might seem to be very silly questions :P
Quote by Dac3
awesome, I don't know, lately I've been finding I have had a lack of direction when practicing.
and never mind about the power chord question I reread it and figured it out and realized it was actually silly :P
I suppose I should apologize to all forum members, I'm the only person out of my friends who enjoys playing an instrument so I might come on and ask what might seem to be very silly questions :P

It's fine, it's what this forum is for =]
The power chord thing is all about what you like. I usually use three fingers on a three noted pwrchrd but my brother uses two fingers in a barrel. And i think its all about how you like to play. I don't got any problems with the sliding anymore, so you just have to get used to it
Dividing your practice session into short time frames - two to five minutes - is beneficial on many levels. It helps clarify what you are hoping to accomplish. It focuses you on the task at hand. And it breaks up your large musical journey into small steps. Focusing on short-term successes can ward off the burnout that often comes with working on big new ideas. The sense of accomplishment this provides will make you look forward to your next practice session.

Reprinted from my Tip of the Day series.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you guys know the suzuki method? I'm trying to do that on my own with guitar. Learn different techniques by learning songs with the techniques. It should work well......but if it doesn't it's fun anyway
power chords. i use index finger on the thicker string and the ring finger on the thinner string. like A power chord on E string would be index on 5th fret and ring on 7th fret of the A string. i use my fingertip on the fifth fret, but my finger touches the A string, while my ring finger touches the D string... only two strings on a power chord please. THAT's a real power chord. people who use 3 strings makeit sound gay and not heavy enough.

and scales are useless if you dont know how to use them... theyre all for songwriting and improv.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
power chords. i use index finger on the thicker string and the ring finger on the thinner string. like A power chord on E string would be index on 5th fret and ring on 7th fret of the A string. i use my fingertip on the fifth fret, but my finger touches the A string, while my ring finger touches the D string... only two strings on a power chord please. THAT's a real power chord. people who use 3 strings makeit sound gay and not heavy enough.

and scales are useless if you dont know how to use them... theyre all for songwriting and improv.
That's a really stupid thing to say. Not every single song with power chords is intended to be heavy.
Actually practicing scales isn't that useful. All you're doing is training your fingers to follow scales, so your finger speed at playing scales may have improved but it's not actually helping your overall playing ability all that much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by apak

The d string in a power chord is the same note on the E string. Just an octave higher.

Also Steven, scales are sometimes helpful for building finger independence and strength. But generally, you're right. They are not very helpful unless you actually plan on using them for songwriting.
Quote by Ze_Metal
The d string in a power chord is the same note on the E string. Just an octave higher.

Also Steven, scales are sometimes helpful for building finger independence and strength. But generally, you're right. They are not very helpful unless you actually plan on using them for songwriting.

that's not quite what I meant, understanding scales is a great help when improvising and also helps you understand music making learning things easier. However, learning to play scales is not the same as learning to understand scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
that's not quite what I meant, understanding scales is a great help when improvising and also helps you understand music making learning things easier. However, learning to play scales is not the same as learning to understand scales.

Oh. Yes, that's right.