I'm thinking of doing Maths with philosophy at uni but I'm not really sure what I'd be doing in philosophy.

Can anyone enlighten me? What type of things do you learn about?
Is it interesting? Do you like it? etc....

I wanted to do Maths to get a broad subject which will get me a good job, but it sounds a bit boring doing a full maths course so I thought I'd do philosophy with it for some variance.
i signed up for a philosophy course for uni, i think it may depend on the school as far as what you learn, but being a first year class it'd all probably be basic stuff
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
i have to take intro to philosophy first semester. i think i'll be fine but some of that stuff is so boring and pedantic. generally though i like stuff like philosophy.

i'm assuming you just go through the major philosophical movements throughout human history. start out with greco-roman crap. maybe some indian crap. eventually get into renaissance/enlightenment crap. then existentialism crap.
#DTWD
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I'm thinking of doing Maths with philosophy at uni but I'm not really sure what I'd be doing in philosophy.

I wanted to do Maths to get a broad subject which will get me a good job, but it sounds a bit boring doing a full maths course so I thought I'd do philosophy with it for some variance.

A Maths course like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MiMWJ1xBo8w
6th member of "its not rape, its surprise sex" club
I find philosophy courses are a bunch of BS that teach you nothing I had a prof who was telling me that he could barely afford to pay his bills. But, I suppose it depends on what you want to do...I would recommend taking some elective courses to find out for yourself.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Nope.

Check out my blogs. I have a cheap introduction to theory of knowledge and can hook you up with some random stuff on perception, morality, politics and other stuff if you wish.

It's interesting as hell, but, I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, Maths can get you places. I've seen it happen. As much as I've seen people dislike the lack of variety, I've met many people who did it at Uni and just loved it so much, it grew on them a lot.
i took philosophy of religion but just because i went to a catholic college and all we did was sit there and debate about the differeances in the religions of the world for 4 months. it was a waste of time but hey i did earn an easy A+. i think most phil. courses are just trying to teach you to think and open your mind to new things, for the most part there easy and hey if anything you can boost ur GPA a lil bit.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Craigo
Philosophy > you.

It's more relevant to life than you think, whether it gets you places or not.

Depends on what you study. Learning about Cicero isn't going to help the Ethiopian farmer feed his family.
Quote by Jhendrix01
Depends on what you study. Learning about Cicero isn't going to help the Ethiopian farmer feed his family.

critical thinking is critical thinking is critical thinking. if he's taking philosophy he's probably going to a liberal arts college where he will get schooled in pretty much every subject on a basic level. it's the people who go to vocational/technical schools that get cheated out of a useful education.
#DTWD
Quote by Jhendrix01

Did you even bother reading my post? I said it was relevant, not helpful.
It's very interesting - check out Craigo's blogs.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I did Philosophy as part of my joint degree. In the first year the modules I took were called Mind & World and Metaphysics & Religion; they basically gave an overview of the main bits of Western philosophy. Does God exist, what's the nature of human experience, etc etc. If you take it further, you might be able to do Ethics modules, Arts-based ones like Aesthetics, and look deeper into epistemology. It's worth reading up on your uni's modules before you go.

I chose it because like you I didn't want to focus on just one subject. I initially just wanted relief from Art History lectures but I ended up taking it for joint honours because I found it so interesting to do.

So basically your first year will introduce you to the big philosophical questions, depending on your lecturers' fields of expertise. At my uni the course was designed to bring people who didn't take it for A Level up to speed, but yours might be different I guess. Where are you planning to go?
Read a bit of Craigos blogs.
Sounds interesting but from what you said I am reluctant to do a philosophy course.

I just did a year of a Mechanical engineering course and I'm bored with it, and can't decide what to change to. I don't even know if I will find maths any less boring, but I seemed to do okay in the maths modules of the engineering course, and it kept my attention.
The course will be at Nottingham university.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Read a bit of Craigos blogs.
Sounds interesting but from what you said I am reluctant to do a philosophy course.

I just did a year of a Mechanical engineering course and I'm bored with it, and can't decide what to change to. I don't even know if I will find maths any less boring, but I seemed to do okay in the maths modules of the engineering course, and it kept my attention.
The course will be at Nottingham university.

Hmm...

You're gonna be doing pure Maths with little application to other stuff you know... I've seen some dislike it then love it. I know someone who earns about 60,000k a year from doing a masters in Maths with something else I can't remember, and they all speak of it with such interest.

I'd also recommend taking out some A Level books from a library or something. Good way to channel in philosophy quickly. Just go for the revision guides. Check what's good, get it. From what I've heard, the first year is slower in progression...
Quote by Craigo

Did you even bother reading my post? I said it was relevant, not helpful.

Great. *Thumbs up*
Quote by Jhendrix01
Great. *Thumbs up*

Commendable.

Philosophy doesn't us anywhere in a pure form, but we apply it all the time to everything, whether you realise it or not. Don't moan on something you don't even know.
I know quite a few philosophy grads...they seem to have enjoyed their course but they're generally a strange bunch. I did philosophy at A-level but after an interview decided not to take a degree in it.
Quote by Craigo
Commendable.

Philosophy doesn't us anywhere in a pure form, but we apply it all the time to everything, whether you realise it or not. Don't moan on something you don't even know.

I don't understand what you mean by "Philosophy doesn't us anywhere in a pure form" and I am certainly not moaning. Get off your high horse and stop trying to pretend you are the end all be all know it all. So philosophy is relevant to everyday life. Big deal. You can make that argument about any field - physics, biology, chemistry, psychology, sociology, etc. I initially advised the threadstarter to take a few electives to see if philosophy is his thing. Don't attack me because I'm not interested in what you have to say.
Last edited by Jhendrix01 at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Are you sure that you're in education for the right reasons?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.