Ok, so I've played about 6 months now, and I've noticed that I almost exclusively use the "floating thumb" technique. I never conciously started doing this, it was just the way it began happening. Is this bad technique? Just looking for some guidance so as not to go astray.

Thanks.
No that's a commonly accepted technique for positioning your thumb. While I usually rest my thumb against the lowest string on the bass, I find myself using the floating thumb more and more. Some players think it facilitates a faster and more efficient plucking hand as well.
Yeah thats a good technique in my opinion, it helps to mute open strings which might be wringing out. I actually wish i used this technique more, but I get by

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Don't worry about it bro. If it hasn't affected your playing in a negative way, it probably won't matter. Like for me, I actually started muting strings with my right pinky, and now I can play and mute using both hand subconsciously, something that will help in the long run. Remember, unorthodox =/= bad
Yeah, i do wot JEP4 does but with my ring finger, givin me a sort of upright sound.
Quote by maroon5mustdie

I, myself, choose not to have sex. My parents probably did, so therefore it is uncool. Maybe next you can start wearing sweater-vests. Fag.