So I'm thinking of buying a first guitar/bass, and was wandering, that if I chose bass, I would probable be a bedroom player, so I wouldn't really be in a band, and probably wouldn't be able to play with a drummer or guitarist. Technically, would this mean I wouldn't be getting te full experience of a bass, and just get a guitar, as at least guitarists can be self sufficent, (I know it is better with bass, but it can be) or at least more self sufficient than a bassist. So what do you guys think? Oh and how many of you bassists are bedroom players?
Bassist aren't bedroom players... They're mostly rare and get into bands more than 1 sometimes. And yeah bass isn't better or less good as a guitar. You're cooler to play bass than guitar though. Because everyone plays guitar, and there are also more people who are very good.
re: being a bed room player, those days will be short lived. i myself started on a bass i quickly found many guitar players to play with they are a dime a dozen. i have been playing for 2 years and though i was never in a formal band i have tons of people i jam with on a regular basis.
Quote by NKF176
So I'm thinking of buying a first guitar/bass, and was wandering, that if I chose bass, I would probable be a bedroom player, so I wouldn't really be in a band, and probably wouldn't be able to play with a drummer or guitarist. Technically, would this mean I wouldn't be getting te full experience of a bass, and just get a guitar, as at least guitarists can be self sufficent, (I know it is better with bass, but it can be) or at least more self sufficient than a bassist. So what do you guys think? Oh and how many of you bassists are bedroom players?

No, you wouldn't be a bedroom player, un;ess you choose to be that way.

You would more than likely find or form a band.

You would be getting the full experience of a bass if you got a bass and made the most out of it.

Bassists can be as self-sufficient as a guitarist, but like all instruments, they fit their purpose better in a band environment(then again, the purpose is what you make of it).

I'm a bedroom player most of the time, usually on weekends I'm out doing stuff with different bands in the area though, because I get called a lot.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
yeah definitely go with the bass.
guitar players are WAY to common,
& like they said the "bedroom days" will be very short
but make sure your comfortable playing with people before you try out with a band and all.

oh & playing with the music helps
if you go bass, it makes you want to do more. AND if you do decide to join a band it is easy, and even if you are ****e at bass, you'll always be the last to be kicked out of a band.
One of my mates has the worst bass player ever, in fact last gig someone said 'hey, maybe you should take up the triangle' after they played, but they want get rid of him cos it is too hard finding another bass player.
What do I think?

Play bass. It's more fun, it's interesting, unique, and makes jamming with others more... "accessible?"

You can alway switch over to guitar later on and imo I think it's made me a better musician and player as well as being a smarter decision in the long run.

I'm probably biased though, as I started on bass

I don't really get what you mean by bedroom player; although, yes I do play in my bedroom.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I play mostly by myself, with the occasional jam with friends, and I was happy with that for a while, but I'm so itching to get a band together and rip it up at some gigs.

I want a crowd
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat