When do I play it? what does it mean? I know how to read the music, but this part I'm not sure.
Do you mean the chord diagrams at the top? if so that is just the chord progression you can play for the song.
Post an example of what you mean.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Do you mean when you see a page with lyrics and chord names above the lyrics like this ? If so, then you figure out the beat and strum the chords while you sing along or imagine the words until you reach the next chord and you change to that while keeping the beat.

I hope that made sense.
Last edited by LgLagro at Jul 29, 2008,

I just put random chords on it, but see where the "C" and "Dm" are? Do I play those chords just for that note?
Quote by silentdreamer

I just put random chords on it, but see where the "C" and "Dm" are? Do I play those chords just for that note?

I might be wrong, but I think those are just optional chords that someone could play along with you
that indicates the underlying chord progression, you mostly see that on lead sheets, it's mainly so an arranger knows what chords to use, or what chords to play under a vocalist/solo instrumentalist on a guitar/piano/organ/etc.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
That looks kinda like Amin, Dmin7, Amin, Dmin7.

The chords posted above are either what the rhythm plays or what the riff under it is based on. It should specify.

Edit: ^yes
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥