hey ppl would you please help me out here. i mostly play high gain/metal/alternative rock and would want a guitar under 500$ with a locking trem. i have pretty much decided on the jackson dxmg.. which one would be the best one out there?
there is also the jackson randy rhoads model. it looks pretty cool, but i do not like the neck on it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
possibly an epi LP custom?
its only a tiny bit over ur budget, and its probably better than ur jackson there.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
n yeah i would prefer passive pickups unlike the c-1 fr as i would play some clean as well..
Quote by itsxsteves
possibly an epi LP custom?

...he wants a floating trem
man can u guys please help me out, what do you think of the dxmg, all the suggestions are usless, the randy rhoads starts from 600$ and the epi LP is a fixed bridge
Quote by aberrant
You can play clean with active pickups.

of course you can but they dont sound as good as the passives unless they are truly awesome and i have a budget of only 500$ and the ones on the c-1 fr are duncan designed, not real duncans and besides the dxmg has real EMGs
Your budget is probably too low for a good guitar with an expensive bridge like a floyd rose unless you go used or get a floyd rose styled bridge not a genuine one. The more expensive the hardware is the less money left for the "bones" of the guitar (Body & neck tone woods, fingerboard type, workmanship etc.)
Moving on.....
Quote by vaibhavrana
man can u guys please help me out, what do you think of the dxmg, all the suggestions are usless, the randy rhoads starts from 600$ and the epi LP is a fixed bridge

FWIW- I really like the feel of Jackson guitars. My main gig guitar is a $199 US Jackson Performer with a Mojave Amp Works bridge pickup. The trem has worked flawlessly for years, & I beat it to death playing numerous Van Halen covers. IMO, Jacksons are a great value. If you like the one you're looking at, get it. Mine's been trouble-free & sounds killer.
BTW-This really does belong in the EG forum...stevo's right.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by vaibhavrana
hey ppl would you please help me out here. i mostly play high gain/metal/alternative rock and would want a guitar under 500$ with a locking trem. i have pretty much decided on the jackson dxmg.. which one would be the best one out there?

Did you mean a real Floyd Rose, or a Licensed? New or used? You are going to be hard pressed to find a decent new guitar with a real FR for under $500 US.

Jackson's licenced FR trems are pretty good. Check out the DK2M. You might be able to find one in your budget.
Quote by KenG
Your budget is probably too low for a good guitar with an expensive bridge like a floyd rose unless you go used or get a floyd rose styled bridge not a genuine one. The more expensive the hardware is the less money left for the "bones" of the guitar (Body & neck tone woods, fingerboard type, workmanship etc.)

yeah, he's right. you're going to get good hardware (i.e. EMG's, LFR, Locking Nut, etc etc.) but the craftmanship might not be all that great. it's going to feel cheap and not what you expected because most of the money went to the lesser scale of the tone spectrum, imo. but that's just my 2 cents.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
USED. You may get a Korean guitar with an OFR, but the trem will outlast the guitar. A used, MIJ guitar (Charvel, Jackson Professional, Ibanez RG, various Peaveys and Washburns) are much more solid choices if you want a good Floyd on a budget.
Quote by CJRocker
USED. You may get a Korean guitar with an OFR, but the trem will outlast the guitar. A used, MIJ guitar (Charvel, Jackson Professional, Ibanez RG, various Peaveys and Washburns) are much more solid choices if you want a good Floyd on a budget.

bingo. older ibanez rg's sell real cheap in pawn shops and guitar shops. i bought a 98 rg570/1570/whatever it is with the original edge (which from what i hear, that's the best licensed floyd) for about 215. pickups are a little weak, but that's easy to fix.
Quote by CarbonDeath
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Outlaw-PX3T-Electric-Guitar?sku=512668

Guitar with real a floyd and decent pickups for less than $500. Its a good guitar too, I play it every time I go into my store.

Basswood Body (cheapest wood) & no mention of how maple neck is contructed (laminated? quartersawn?). It would be an OK guitar as far materials go (not necessarily good), may play better than it sounds too.
Moving on.....
Quote by 667
This guitar does not have a real Floyd Rose.

Tailpiece type: Floyd Rose original tremolo

Unless he means it could be the Korean variant, which is possible. If Jackson uses them on their imports, I wouldn't be shocked if other companies do.
Id say go for either a used Ibanez with Edge Pro Trems or anything with an original Floyd.The licensed ones usually wont last you long before you realize u spent 500 + on a guitar with an unstable bridge. Schecter or BC Rich have good guitars with reasonable prices. Might go beyond 500, i got my C1-Blackjack for 700 and it has em SD Jbs and 59 + its neck thru.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp (check C1-blackjack FR)
http://www.bcrich.com/warbeast_nj_dlx.asp
http://www.bcrich.com/warlock_nt.asp
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG1570
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-m.html
could get you ideas
Quote by Ghold125
Tailpiece type: Floyd Rose original tremolo

That just means the geometry and hardware will accept an original Floyd Rose (if you want to upgrade it later).

This is from that ad...

"The B.C. Rich Outlaw PX3T electric guitar features a bolt-on maple neck 2 Rockfield Mafia humbucker pickups with coil tap a basswood body with a deeply arched top a rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets hollowpoint circle inlay a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo and two end of body strap buttons for a custom strap fit and instrument positioning."
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Jul 30, 2008,