The thing that I know about action is that the strings are either too high or too low, but what does it effect if they're too high, My fender starcaster is a piece of **** and my cousin told me that my action is high, its perfect at frets 1-4 but then from there it just gets higher like a hill, he says it gets to about a quarter of an inch high , but when it is that high how will this effect me? specifics if you can, and my cousin says that I have to do something with the allen wrench because there is a screw at the top of my neck to change the action, is that all i got to do is just turn the screw to what ever height I want and it will be fixed or is there more to changing the action? please help..... thanks
Yeah, action is how far you strings are away from the body. Too low, you get fret buzz. Too high and it's harder to push the strings down
righty tighty, lefty loosey. if your action is too high, it'll make it harder to press down on the upper frets. if it's too low, it will buzz against the fret board.

EDIT: i should type faster. i just said the same thing as the guy above me
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
righty tighty, lefty loosey. if your action is too high, it'll make it harder to press down on the upper frets. if it's too low, it will buzz against the fret board.

lol yeah, will this make me play faster because it takes less effort to push the strings you think?

EDIT: so I all I do is turn it right? thats it? no taken the guitar apart or nothing....
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf

Your edit made me laugh
the screw at the end of the neck is the truss rod.DON'T TOUCH IT.
take it to guitar center or sam ash or some other music place and have the professionals do it.
by the way, i have a starcaster too,and all of them are pieces of sh*t.
Quote by serjiscoolz
the screw at the end of the neck is the truss rod.DON'T TOUCH IT.
take it to guitar center or sam ash or some other music place and have the professionals do it.
by the way, i have a starcaster too,and all of them are pieces of sh*t.

lol i agree 200 dollars with an amp, but it still gets a decent tone out of it for metallica and iced earth

EDIT: what is a truss rod?
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
lol i agree 200 dollars with an amp, but it still gets a decent tone out of it for metallica and iced earth

EDIT: what is a truss rod?

A truss rod is a rod that goes all the way through the neck on your guitar. It is there to stop the neck bending to much and can be adjusted so you can change how curved it is. To change action you need to change the height of the saddles or bridge. If you have turned the truss rod I would take it to a professional and get it setup properly because if you don't know enough about guitars then you could damage your guitar.