ive been collecting info for a new tube amp lately. ive found that its cheaper to buy a new amp, rather than building one

a local shop has the crate v 18 1x12 in stock. i was wondering what you guys thought of it. is is possible to change a few things in it to get closer to a fender tone? i would buy the super champ xd for $30 cheaper, but i dont feel right about buying an amp off the internet ive never played.

i play with a small band, so i hope the 15-18w range has plenty of head room. i was told by the salesman that i should go no lower than 20w for my situation, thats another reason im leaning towards the crate.

thanks
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
I most certainly would not buy the V18 if you're looking for any type of "Fender-ish" tone. It's actually the best sounding amp I think I've ever heard from Crate, but has little to no headroom and has more of a British voicing. The V33 might suit you better, it has more headroom and a clean channel.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Id go with a V-33 or the Super Champ. Most places, even online, have a good return policy.
Quote by Kendall
I most certainly would not buy the V18 if you're looking for any type of "Fender-ish" tone. It's actually the best sounding amp I think I've ever heard from Crate, but has little to no headroom and has more of a British voicing. The V33 might suit you better, it has more headroom and a clean channel.

whats the difference between british and american tone? is the british a little grittier? isnt that fixed by changing tubes/resistors? im checking out the v33 right now...
My Rig

Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
There's a lot more that goes into voicing an amp than simply tubes and resistors. Find some Youtube clips of various vintage Marshall and vintage Fender amps for a better explanation than can be put into words.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
thanks guys
My Rig

Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby