Page 1 of 2
This is an edit, for not opening a new thread...
So after a lot of research, i mage to know a chilean tha is living there, and gave me some directions, etc... The thing is I'm being offered a room on CAMBERWELL GREEN, zone 2, for 400 pound the month, what do you think about the neighbourhood, the price, etc..?

I have thousands of offers over the internet, some cheaper, some higher, but at least there I know one of the guys that is inside, so I'm probably gonna take it, at least for the first month
More info of camberwell green would be aprecciate it (I have surf a lot on the net, but it's not the same of someone that lives there)

As the thread says, I'm leaving my country (Chile), life, and friends for 1 semester to try some "luck" on london...

I GOT GERMAN NATIONALITY SO I CAN WORK!

I'm going with some money, and my principal idea is to rent a room and to find a job to live with it, know a new culture, live by my own (I'm going completely alone)

So I have been "surfing" on the net, there's a lot of rooms availables, but london is very huge, so I don't know which area is good for what I'm looking for

I need some place that is cheap and have bars or pubs that are some way related to the music, because i would gladly get a job (even cleaning bathrooms) where bands plays getting the opportunity to know people and hopefully make a group or something

And not get raped!!

Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by tiky
As the thread says, I'm leaving my country (Chile), life, and friends for 1 semester to try some "luck" on london...

I'm going with some money, and my principal idea is to rent a room and to find a job to live with it, know a new culture, live by my own (I'm going completely alone)

So I have been "surfing" on the net, there's a lot of rooms availables, but london is very huge, so I don't know which area is good for what I'm looking for

I need some place that is cheap and have bars or pubs that are some way related to the music, because i would gladly get a job (even cleaning bathrooms) where bands plays getting the opportunity to know people and hopefully make a group or something

And not get raped!!

Better not move to London.
You have no chance. You'll be lucky to get a work permit if you're unskilled and London is incredibly expensive to live in.
london is the most expensive place to live, you will be lucky to find somewhere.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Buckingham Palace!
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
on top of big ben. great view of snotty british people
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
erm west London, ealing/chiswick area tht's where I live and it's all right here really loads of bars
Quote by Azza Dutt
Buckingham Palace!
I hear the rent is reasonable, but the maid service is appalling and the Queen is in charge of what's on TV and she won't let anyone change it off Living Gold.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I hear the rent is reasonable, but the maid service is appalling and the Queen is in charge of what's on TV and she won't let anyone change it off Living Gold.

Do you mean UKTV Gold? Or Living?

I lol'd though
Mmmmm I'm 21 and got some money to survive WHILE looking a job, is it so hard to get a simple one? I know it's expensive and s-h-i-t, london is my main idea, as being the capital and there is a train direct to paris (where my plane arrives) IF not, you could share more about your cities

Because this thing is happening RIGHT now, my plane starts on august 18, and going to be in london/england, arround 22 august
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by Habs
Estas loco.. jaja. Tenes residencia o algo?

I have german nationality, so as member of the EU i can get a job
Quote by Tom_hatton
Do you mean UKTV Gold? Or Living?

I lol'd though
I must confess I rarely watch TV and we don't have sky, but I had a recollection of boring old channels that grans watch and took a shot.
If you don't have a permit to work you'll find it basically impossible to work anyway. How much money have you budgeted? If you haven't already looked into it, you'll probably be shocked by the rent in most of London.
I have checked, and as far as i know, being part of the european union i don't need a permit to work

I got a great budject to survive (13000 US dollars) But the idea is not to waste them, the idea is to win money on london
Quote by tiky
I have checked, and as far as i know, being part of the european union i don't need a permit to work
Chile isn't in the EU
Quote by smb
Chile isn't in the EU

I got german nationality and passport, because my dad is german, got it long time ago

So please stop scaring me, because as far as i know being part of the EU i can work without a work permit (please confirm that, I'm tired of web :P )

And let's get back to the discussion

Is it hard to get a job decent enough to pay to live and eat on london? I can afford 1-2 weeks without getting anything, but after it would start hurt my budject, because as i said, my idea is more win money than loose it
Quote by haz_uk
avoid the south.

crap accents, guns, blacks and other buggery.

GO NORTH.

1. Much better accents.
2. And you don't have guns?
3. So people don't emigrate to the North?
4. Racist
5. Not a chance.
Quote by tiky
I got german nationality and passport, because my dad is german, got it long time ago

So please stop scaring me, because as far as i know being part of the EU i can work without a work permit (please confirm that, I'm tired of web :P )

And let's get back to the discussion

Is it hard to get a job decent enough to pay to live and eat on london? I can afford 1-2 weeks without getting anything, but after it would start hurt my budject, because as i said, my idea is more win money than loose it

Short answer; yes. It will be hard. Might be easier if you go elsewhere though. You should try sorting yourself out a job first before moving if you can.
Craigo and haz_uk don't transform this on a fight, better get good arguments, I'm really going to do all that I said, and help before arriving will be great for me
like no offense or anything but i think we have our fare share foreign people over here
Quote by Craigo
Short answer; yes. It will be hard. Might be easier if you go elsewhere though. You should try sorting yourself out a job first before moving if you can.

Well I don't know anyone on london, so getting the job first will be just surfing on the net

The travel "looks" a bit crazy, but is the thing that i need to make my life worth
Quote by Steve The Plank
Don't move to London, move 20 minutes outside it in a town called Guildford. Lots of musicians there, and it's a really nice/friendly place. I'm moving there in September.

+1
Quote by tiky
Well I don't know anyone on london, so getting the job first will be just surfing on the net

The travel "looks" a bit crazy, but is the thing that i need to make my life worth

Don't feel like you have to travel to validate yourself

There are other Cities you know. You have to appreciate that London is a prime location, and the cheaper areas are still pricey and can be run down really badly... It's not the best place in the UK, but, if you wanna go, no-one can stop you. Rent is gonna bitch you really hard. Try going with someone, it might help a lot.

I'd also have a back up share just in case anything goes wrong in the UK, plus another just in case you want to go back if it doesn't work out. But, plan like hell. Plan it all out.
like no offense or anything but i think we have our fare share foreign people over here

Grow up. *reported*
Quote by Steve The Plank
Don't move to London, move 20 minutes outside it in a town called Guildford. Lots of musicians there, and it's a really nice/friendly place. I'm moving there in September.

This is a decent idea actually. It'd be a better move than London, plus you can visit other places from here well enough.
Queres ir a London.. y no tenes idea si podes trabajar.. no creo q sea una buena idea!
Quote by S.A.Dange
Camden, trust me

that's actually quite good, there are some cheap studio's around Camden, and a lot of younger people who would be more understanding if things weren't going so good.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Quote by Craigo
Don't feel like you have to travel to validate yourself

There are other Cities you know. You have to appreciate that London is a prime location, and the cheaper areas are still pricey and can be run down really badly... It's not the best place in the UK, but, if you wanna go, no-one can stop you. Rent is gonna bitch you really hard. Try going with someone, it might help a lot.

I'd also have a back up share just in case anything goes wrong in the UK, plus another just in case you want to go back if it doesn't work out. But, plan like hell. Plan it all out.

Grow up. *reported*

No, you got the bad think, I'm a guy that don't like plans, and believe that things can be made on the road.

I'm going alone, nobody want's to quit university to join a friend, in fact going alone is the thing that will really make me to grow up (as you said)

The reasons for the trip are strong enough, but don't want to give the long argument that i gave to my parents and all my known people

And why i choose london? I don't have idea, it's just where the train arrives, and it's a start point, if you give me strong arguments on another city that could be changed

I have 20 days to find a good start point on the uk to keep improvising on the track
And it has to be on UK because i don't know another language, just English and Spanish, and Spain is not an option, i want to improve my english

Keep the message coming!
move to London, Canada is great
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Page 1 of 2