Is there any real difference between a 2x12 combo and a head with a 2x12 cab? If so what are they? Also, I am wondering what the pros and cons are in a head and cab, and a combo.

I am looking at purchasing a new amp soon; for practicing and jamming, and I am wondering which is the better buy.

I am looking at a peavey triple xxx or 6505. Also, I am planning on getting other amps in the future, most of them heads. So would it make sense to get a head and cab now, and just switch off the heads when I want to in the future?

thx in advanced
In most cases, combo's are better. Unless you're playing a decent sized gig.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
its been beat'n to death look it up....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
It depends on where you are gonna be playing. If your playing gigs, a stack would be better. Stacks are more expandable, especially if you're gonna be buying other heads in the future.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
I think a 2x12 cab n head would be good if you have/need more than one head. The only thing I would be worried about is the weight.
A 2x12 cab weighs a lot less than a 2x12 combo.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
I personally have a head and 2x12" cab, because it's easier to carry them separately than one huge box that does it all, and also since I'm currently on my third amp head since I built the cabinet. In the end though, it's up to you; buying a combo will probably save you money now, and if you think you'll have the amp for a long time, it's a great idea, but if you're probably going to be moving through amps, or just acquiring more in the future, it would be nice to not have to pay for speakers or a new cabinet each time. Plus, I personally like the sound of a closed back cabinet vs. open back (most if not all combos). Again though, it's completely up to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Head and cab is cool. cuz you can change them seperatly if you want something different. and if you're going to be gigging in the future, they will become useful. But i'd say most heads are made for gigging so therefore are pretty loud.

But still, if you mic' a combo, you can do gigs. So its simply up to wich amp you prefer.
Buying a separate head and cab allows you to get the exact tone you want. You choose the right sounding head and the get a cab with speakers that sound right with it.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build