I'm in a band as the bassist but I also like playing normal guitar and tbh, I'm slightly better than the lead guitarist at soloing. I was wonder whether I could make a guitar sound similar to a bass guitar but still be able to play it as a normal guitar. I have a telecaster rip off and that sound fairly bassy, what else ca I do?
you could buy an octaver
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
If I were you I would look for some sort of octave pedal that way you could be playing a bass line then rip into a solo in an instant. I'm not sure exactly what pedal you should go for but I think the Digitech Whammy pedal would work and you get a wah along with it. I'm not positive but I'd just try it out as most music stores have them.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
if the bass player is better at soloing than the lead guitarist, i think there it a problem
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Yes, you can go and buy an octave pedal. But only a bass is going to "sound" like a bass. Period.

And I question asking in the bass forum how you can make the forum instrument redundant, so you may want to ask the guitar forum for a bit more receptive advise. And I know what you meant, but you may also want to avoid the distinction of "normal guitar" vs bass in the future. Both are "normal" in a band.
There are some octave pedals cheaper than a Whammy, like the EHX Mini POG. And that can give you an octave up signal, an cotave lower, and everywhere in between.
Cheers, I'll get one soon as I can afford a cheap one.

"And I question asking in the bass forum how you can make the forum instrument redundant"

:O Nothing can make bass reduntant! It is the only eternal instrument! I'll always prefer playing bass guitar over normal guitar, I'm just looking for different sounds and variations.
Quote by Spaz91
Cheers, I'll get one soon as I can afford a cheap one.

"And I question asking in the bass forum how you can make the forum instrument redundant"

:O Nothing can make bass reduntant! It is the only eternal instrument! I'll always prefer playing bass guitar over normal guitar, I'm just looking for different sounds and variations.

Thank you for the clarification
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
if the bass player is better at soloing than the lead guitarist, i think there it a problem

I see no problem.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
So you're going to play bass lines on your tele copy all night? That would be weird to say the least. If you're itching to solo a little, just tell the other guitarist to just switch instruments with you for a few songs. That would be cooler than thumping on a tele. You're going to want to solo like a normal guitar anyway, and then what's going to happen to the bass?
just do solos on the bass
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
just do solos on the bass

this. bass solos arent heard that often, and when done right, are awesome.
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
if you are better soloing that the guitarrist take advantage of that!!! do bass solo!!! that always great
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Imo, look into just soloing on bass. There's a song by Incubus that has a very nifty bass solo in it, that is quite melodic and a very nice solo. It's an example that you can do sweet stuff on bass rather then getting a guitar and bassifying so that you can solo occassionally.

And as mentioned earlier, an octaver works but will not truly sound like a bass, and in my experience quite hollow, as Anarkee stated.

+1 to Caustic for the Who as well
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

you could get a double necked thing thats a bass on the top neck and a guitar on the bottom. best of both worlds, no need to get any pedals and you get real bass and guitar sounds.
Quote by Caustic

I see no problem.

Really?

I can!

IT'S A WITCH!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by jb_reborn
you could get a double necked thing thats a bass on the top neck and a guitar on the bottom. best of both worlds, no need to get any pedals and you get real bass and guitar sounds.

like mike rutherford from genesis!!

Will be pricey though!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Nutter_101
Really?

I can!

IT'S A WITCH!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

+1. Just look at Keith, he's horrified.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by jb_reborn

yes,

double neck or more higher strings.

you could buy a 5-string set of strings and tune You're current bass ADGB (assuming it is a 4 string, if not you probably get the idea anyway)

has anyone mentioned An Octave-up pedal? I think there's one on my Zoom pedal, But it sometimes gets notes wrong and makes the bass sound like a sitar!
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jul 30, 2008,
play the guitar through the bass amp and use a octave pedal.

lots of sludge rock bands do this
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Bass solo?
Or, 12 string bass.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by 14shadesofblue
play the guitar through the bass amp and use a octave pedal.

I've done this. I normally play bass for my church band, but in one song i play a distorted guitar lead, and we had no one else to play bass. It works, just make sure you can lock in with the drummer.