Page 1 of 2
So I don't know about the rest of you, but gas prices around here have dropped quite a bit (Down to about $3.50 per gallon). People have been talking about how much nicer it is that the price has dropped, as it was about $4.10 per gallon just over a month ago. I too, thought it was nice. And of course, it is nice. But, are people really saving that much? If someone was filling up a 16 gallon tank at the price of $4.10, it would cost $66. However, if someone filled up that same tank at $3.50, it would cost $56. That's only a difference of $10, an amount most people would spend without giving much thought, yet people view it as a huge difference. Anyone else find this odd? Even more so when people obsess over a difference of a few cents.

PS This isn't a topic to complain about how the prices are higher elsewhere, so please don't bring that up.
I think that people who drive their cars every day would feel a huge difference over a year, or even a month. So, they're not obsessing imo.
well, when you have to fill up your tank every week or two weeks, that extra 10 dollars is a lot if you put it into perspective. i think it's nice that gas is down to about $3.70 a gallon where i live, but it's still very high from what it was a year ago.
60 cents less per gallon means every 7th fill-up is now "free"

Although i'd prefer it to be ALOT lower still.
Quote by freedoms_stain
$10 is actually 1000 cents.

Obviously, but I was talking about people who will drive a mile to get gas at $3.50 instead of $3.55.

I think that people who drive their cars every day would feel a huge difference over a year, or even a month. So, they're not obsessing imo.

Yeah, it does add up, but people were talking about how hard it was to buy gas, and now (at least around here) they've stopped.
It is a lot considering how often you fill up.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by Jeremy Clark
60 cents less per gallon means every 7th fill-up is now "free"

Although i'd prefer it to be ALOT lower still.

oooooh, nice one. i wouldnt have thought of it that way, but i would have agreed it is much cheaper.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
It adds up. Around here I pay £1.33 a litre at the moment...so count yourselves very lucky
the gas company raises it to 4.10 then lowers it to 350 and suddenly 350 is a bargain when just 2 years ago u wouldnt have settled for anything above 3.00 its sad the prices will never go back down to normal trust me
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
You lucky buggers in America should consider yourselves lucky, it's averaging about £1.17 per LITRE here (about $2.30).
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
wait why are we lucky when it costs twice that here?

EDIT: oh i didnt see that u said per liter
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by andyd93
You lucky buggers in America should consider yourselves lucky, it's averaging about £1.17 per LITRE here (about $2.30).

Did you even read my damn post? I said this isn't the place to complain about the fact that prices ar higher else where. You probably just saw the title and jumped at the fact to complain about how "terrible" you have it.
Quote by Spamwise
Did you even read my damn post? I said this isn't the place to complain about the fact that prices ar higher else where. You probably just saw the title and jumped at the fact to complain about how "terrible" you have it.

I wasn't aware I had actually said you were complaining. I was simply saying that you are lucky to have it so cheap, and enjoy while it is still cheap, because soon things will change and you'll be like every other bloody country in the world.
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Well the thing is, is that its all psychological. I understand what you are saying, as "hey look, 10 dollars isnt that big a deal, I spend 10 dollars at 2 meals at Mcdonalds!"

But the thing is, thats because you are willing to spend that much money, since you've been doing it for years. Now gas on the other hand? It only went up $10 in half a year. So thats why you complain.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
It is nice that it is dropping but it still cost about twice as much to fill up my car now as it did only four years ago.
It makes a huge difference when you buy in balk
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by IRONMAIDENTLICA
the gas company raises it to 4.10 then lowers it to 350 and suddenly 350 is a bargain when just 2 years ago u wouldnt have settled for anything above 3.00 its sad the prices will never go back down to normal trust me

I am pretty sure that is the plan.

We're now conditioned to believe these crazy high gas prices are actually reasonable. It's just gonna keep going up, but no one will remember when it was pretty much half this price.

Except me. and now you guys. Let's fight the conditioning!
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
It adds up. It really does. Having a car, you'd understand
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by andyd93

A lot of Americans drive the gas guzzling Dodge Ram trucks and big old Chevy Suburbans, and filling these up takes plenty of money. My dad filled up his truck (20 gallons) and it cost him damn near $80. My view on gas prices:
Last year, some gas companies experienced record high profits. At the same time, we experienced record high gas prices. Why? I think the gas companies totally price gouged the consumer. The government should have stepped in, but Bush (i am a pro Bush guy btw) is a pro-big business man, so he let it slide.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by Megadeth2011
A lot of Americans drive the gas guzzling Dodge Ram trucks and big old Chevy Suburbans, and filling these up takes plenty of money. My dad filled up his truck (20 gallons) and it cost him damn near $80. My view on gas prices:
Last year, some gas companies experienced record high profits. At the same time, we experienced record high gas prices. Why? I think the gas companies totally price gouged the consumer. The government should have stepped in, but Bush (i am a pro Bush guy btw) is a pro-big business man, so he let it slide.

All down to engine size. I was in FL in march, and I can't remember seeing one hatchback or smaller car. I saw plenty of 1500 Rams with the 5.7l HEMI, but most of the time, people don't need such a big car. I understand if they need the space if they are DIY workers or construction workers or something, but then you seen these women taking their kids to school in a 18mpg H2 Hummer, I just find it kinda stupid... That's why you have such a bad economy as a country.
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Bastards I'm still paying $4.19.
Lousy British have to put things into perspective. I KNOW YOUR GAS IS EXPENSIVE, BUT ITS BECAUSE YOU KEEP VOTING FOR THE LABOUR PARTY AND THEY LOVE THAT VALUE ADDED TAX!

Sorry.....but gas is going to go down, all the rising gas price is MEDIA HYPE.
Quote by andyd93
All down to engine size. I was in FL in march, and I can't remember seeing one hatchback or smaller car. I saw plenty of 1500 Rams with the 5.7l HEMI, but most of the time, people don't need such a big car. I understand if they need the space if they are DIY workers or construction workers or something, but then you seen these women taking their kids to school in a 18mpg H2 Hummer, I just find it kinda stupid... That's why you have such a bad economy as a country.

Yeah, i know. My dad farms, so we drive a gas guzzling 5.71 Hemi but since we farm, I feel no remorse. Youre right. Most people don't need such a big car. Just the other day, my dad was telling me about he remembers back when usually, only a farmer or construction worker drove a big truck. Then, everybody wanted one. Now, nobody wants em, except for the farmers/construction workers, because the average consumer doesn't have a use for all the extra power/room. I saw a new Dodge Challenger the other day, and guess what? It might be a smaller car, but it has a 6.1 Hemi in it.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay

Quote by clemm
--clemm

n00b
Quote by Megadeth2011

because when the price of oil goes up by 20%, they increase prices by 20%, despite the cost of oil not being 100% of their costs.

you say bush is a pro-big business man. that is true. but more significantly, he's an oil guy. which is what is depressing about people blaming democrats for the cost of oil; the republicans own the oil companies...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Spamwise
...yet people view it as a huge difference. Anyone else find this odd? Even more so when people obsess over a difference of a few cents.
price changes always have strange psychological affect.

this holds especially true for older people who remember paying much lower prices.
the $.50 increase in price is probably more than your grandparents paid for a gallon of gas when they were young adults. they see a number like that and it rattles them.

to see a change like $.50 is about 13% based on a price of $4.00/gal.
that's over a year's worth of inflation, comparing to the rest of the economy.

a $.05 change in price is rather insignificant. but it still affects attitudes.
this is in large part because gasoline is often a fixture in the budget.
in many cases they can't cut back. people still have to drive to get to work.

if a person were to drive 20,000 miles per year. (this is not unreasonable)
and drive a car that gets 20mpg. (a little high, but not unreasonable)
they would burn 1000 gallons each year.
at $4 / gallon, thats $4000.00
if the price is reduced by $.50 that saves them $500 / year.
this is not insignificant.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
because when the price of oil goes up by 20%, they increase prices by 20%, despite the cost of oil not being 100% of their costs.

you say bush is a pro-big business man. that is true. but more significantly, he's an oil guy. which is what is depressing about people blaming democrats for the cost of oil; the republicans own the oil companies...

Ok, that explanation is the one. I knew Bush was an oil guy. Im a republican, and after seeing what the dems do here in Illinois, I'll never vote for a democrat.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay

Quote by clemm
--clemm

n00b
Quote by Megadeth2011
Ok, that explanation is the one. I knew Bush was an oil guy. Im a republican, and after seeing what the dems do here in Illinois, I'll never vote for a democrat.

you should see what they're doing in California. a ban on plastic bags!!! a tax on paper bags? wtf?
Quote by Megadeth2011

what do they do that you object to?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Berlioz97
Bastards I'm still paying $4.19.
Lousy British have to put things into perspective. I KNOW YOUR GAS IS EXPENSIVE, BUT ITS BECAUSE YOU KEEP VOTING FOR THE LABOUR PARTY AND THEY LOVE THAT VALUE ADDED TAX!

Sorry.....but gas is going to go down, all the rising gas price is MEDIA HYPE.

I'm not British, but I do vote for the labour party.
Ya sure, it costs more to fill up the car, but I do get free University education instead.

*continues to vote labour*
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Berlioz97
yeah that's why you guys had Oasis and we had Nirvana.

I'm Irish.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Berlioz97
you should see what they're doing in California. a ban on plastic bags!!! a tax on paper bags? wtf?

I don't think we have our budget for this year worked out yet. My dad's friend is in the House of Reps (he's a republican), and he tells us ALL the dirt. Our governor has said that the Governor's house is not in Springfield (the capital), it is actually in Chicago (where he lives at HIS house). Our governor calls sessions and then doesn't show, because he's in Chicago. When he does show, he flies in on a jet, and we are being taxed for his fuel, cause he can't live in the governor's house. All of his minions are on trial for stuff like theft, and appointing jobs to those who pay for the job. Then, many democrats won a lot of positions promising all this stuff. Well, we haven't seen ANY progress since they came. Obama was one of these a couple years back. The only thing he did was get pissed at the media when they made fun of his ears.

EDIT: I know our school was supposed to get money for repairs and stuff, but they screwed us over, so now the school isn't being paid a cent from the state.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay

Quote by clemm
--clemm

n00b
Last edited by Megadeth2011 at Jul 29, 2008,
It really doesn't feel that raising gas prices has reduced the number of cars on the road significantly at all. I think it's just putting more money in the gas companies and angering more drivers. So many people are so dependent on driving that they will be willing to pay even if its ridiculously expensive. But of course, saving a few dollars each fill up will really add up as the years go on, so naturally everyone's a lot happier with lower prices.
the price is still rising in the uk
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Guess what? I'm still paying 4.29 a gallon.
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
Page 1 of 2