So my brother was watching TV and this song came on. Normally I wouldn't think twice but this really caught my ear...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PstAbCdK8U

Around 0:30 into it, what exactly is going on there? Can you theory gurus analyze this for me? Is there a word for it? I feel like it's a common thing that I really like, but anyway, what is happening? It's so pleasing to my ear.

Thanks
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I believe the term for this is "Blatant Cocksuckery" and putting this up makes your the most blatant cocksucker of them all..
Uh, I think it just changes to the relative minor key. Or something .
drake bell needs to die. power chord wanker. XD
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by adamrandall
drake bell needs to die. power chord wanker. XD

Don't be so harsh. Just because he doesn't play amazingly difficult stuff, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense musically and can be seen as great composing. I'm not sure if he does write his own material but, his music is catchy and is selling records. Can't be too ashamed of that.

And as for the guitar @ 00:30, that's just what people call a riff or a lick. Taken out of a scale that is relative to the key the song is in.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
Don't be so harsh. Just because he doesn't play amazingly difficult stuff, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense musically and can be seen as great composing. I'm not sure if he does write his own material but, his music is catchy and is selling records. Can't be too ashamed of that.

im so ridiculously jealous. he has super nice guitars that he only has because he's loaded.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by adamrandall
im so ridiculously jealous. he has super nice guitars that he only has because he's loaded.

What the hell is wrong with that? Do you want him to STEAL nice guitars then? He's also a good singer and has an acting career. Are you telling me that if a rich actor like Keifer Sutherland bought nice guitars (which he does, it's a hobby of his), you would hate him because of that?
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
And as for the guitar @ 00:30, that's just what people call a riff or a lick. Taken out of a scale that is relative to the key the song is in.

EDIT: I also realized you could be talking about the drastic chord changes. That could be due to a secondary dominance. I'm not quite sure though. As someone else also said, he could be switching to the relative minor.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
What the hell is wrong with that? Do you want him to STEAL nice guitars then? He's also a good singer and has an acting career. Are you telling me that if a rich actor like Keifer Sutherland bought nice guitars (which he does, it's a hobby of his), you would hate him because of that?

yes, yes i am.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Maybe I didn't clarify. I'm talking about when she sings "I will make you change your mind". The way the music interacts with the vocal melody.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I believe it's the use of the III-vi, or V i in the relative minor key, cadence. The III chord is, in the relative minor key, the V chord, which creates a strong pull to the i of the relative minor. The third of the chord is a raised dominant, which is a kind of dissonance we're very accustomed to and that generally sounds nice. Try playing a C F G F E7 Am progression and see if that's what you're talking about. The G# in the E7 chord is where the interesting stuff is.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Retro Rocker
Is that the chick from School of Rock?

Yeah, that's Miranda Cosgrove.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by Dr Nick
Uh, I think it just changes to the relative minor key. Or something .

Yeah I think that's right. On brief listening that's what it sounds like.

You could try and find a tab for it and have a look at what's going on. I always find it a lot easier to work out what's going on when I can see the patterns and notes on paper or on the screen or something and work out what's happening.
sig goes here
Quote by grampastumpy
I believe it's the use of the III-vi, or V i in the relative minor key, cadence. The III chord is, in the relative minor key, the V chord, which creates a strong pull to the i of the relative minor. The third of the chord is a raised dominant, which is a kind of dissonance we're very accustomed to and that generally sounds nice. Try playing a C F G F E7 Am progression and see if that's what you're talking about. The G# in the E7 chord is where the interesting stuff is.

Thanks mang.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?