I have recently been looking at a bass amp I can upgrade from a cheap Dean Markley practice amp that I have been using since I picked bass up in December. I also want to invest in a new one so for rehearsals, my bass player can use it, because I am mainly a guitar player. I own a Squier Standard Jazz Bass, and I asked some questions today at my local music shop, and they said that the Ampeg BA115, is used mainly for P basses, because of the more fuller sound, and that the BA112 is better for Jazz basses, because most jazz basses sound better through 10' and 12' speakers. I am mainly looking for a new amp that will make my jazz bass sound better, and also project more volume during rehearsals. An advantage I learned of both the Ampegs was the kick back on it. Which one should I get? By the end of the week I will have $255 saved up. At the music shop I was offered $260 for their only Ampeg, which was the BA112, or should I save up more for a BA115?
they arent really that loud apparently
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
for band practice they are both ok, unless guitarrist craks his 100watt tube amp, that always annoyed me during band practice
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
for band practice they are both ok, unless guitarrist craks his 100watt tube amp, that always annoyed me during band practice

for practice I use a Hot Rod Deluxe, which is 40 watts.
Ive got the BA115, and I play my jazz bass and schecter stiletto through it, and they both sound great. I think really the only difference between the two is wattage, so buy whichever one you think you need. I've used my 115 for a talent show in a high school gym, and at a small gig with about 50 people, and it did fine.
Quote by fjaloser
Ive got the BA115, and I play my jazz bass and schecter stiletto through it, and they both sound great. I think really the only difference between the two is wattage, so buy whichever one you think you need. I've used my 115 for a talent show in a high school gym, and at a small gig with about 50 people, and it did fine.

This bass player I know used one with his P Bass at a school function, and it sounded good, but I have yet to try out the BA115, I take it they are both the same, but the BA115 is bigger.
Yea, im pretty sure thats the case. The 115 is 100w, and the 112 is 50w. Id probably recommend the 115, because you are gonna need the power to be up there with the guitarists.
The BA115 >>>>> the BA112, but neither are particularly awesome amps. Underpowered, overpriced, and in my experience completely lack the Ampeg warmth and "hugeness" that people buy Ampeg amps for. Look for alternatives.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
The BA115 >>>>> the BA112, but neither are particularly awesome amps. Underpowered, overpriced, and in my experience completely lack the Ampeg warmth and "hugeness" that people buy Ampeg amps for. Look for alternatives.

What else can be recommended for $250-$350?
Quote by messiah01
What else can be recommended for $250-$350?

Not sure exactly, but I would recommend both the Warwick Sweet 15 and Ashdown MAG 300 over it, as they are only a bit more.

The Warwick may have 30W less out the box (the MAG needs an extension cab to get full power) but it has masses of volume for that power rating. Hence, just go with the one with the tone you prefer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
look in laney RB series, really nice amps for the price,
also fender rumble can give a nice growl, but they dont have much punch

ampeg BA arent what they should for the price IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I would recomend the Ashdown MAG.

I'd also pay a visit to Carvin's website to see what they have as well.
well since i use a jazz bass by squier and im gunna buy a ba115 i think u should get the ba112 cuz thatd be scary if we ahd the same rig
Quote by telecastrmastr
well since i use a jazz bass by squier and im gunna buy a ba115 i think u should get the ba112 cuz thatd be scary if we ahd the same rig

Considering everyone just told the ts not to get either...I'll let you decide.