Poll: Are guitar playing games a good thing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are guitar playing games a good thing?
Yes
16 42%
No
9 24%
Depends
13 34%
Voters: 38.
Page 1 of 2
After being in that thread about Guitar Rising,
I'd like to know if you think guitar playing should be a game?
poll coming soon.

here are my thoughts (though I'm sure as first post, they will be overlooked):
I really think that it would make guitar learning too easy.

I mean.
Guitar learning up to this point has been really
-Get a teacher
-Teach yourself
Now, there is this thing.
that is just going to mess up that perfect system.
I feel negative towards it,
possibly because I'm not so much a rock guitarist, I tend to sway towards blues/jazz.
and all this guitar hero and rock band do is emphasize rock (which makes sense for rock band) but still, I mean why don't they put more Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitarhero.
Or get some Jazz guitar in there.

I have such a distaste and negative vibe for this thing, this
"Rock band and guitarhero". I think guitar is just too
important to be trivialized into a game.
I mean, I was playing guitar for the first time with some friends of friends,
and they were experts on the game.
and I was the only one who could play real guitar, but I couldn't play guitarhero at all.
All in all, It was very demoralizing. =[
I think that I'd be ok with it more if they weren't advertising it as a game.
If they said they have a program that could teach you guitar.
I'd be far happier.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

has been really what?

edit: and its a game from ppl attemptimg to make money
they succeded
we have the ppl who wish they could play guitar
and we have ppl who play guitar

and we all kno who the clear winner is there
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Last edited by itsxsteves at Jul 29, 2008,
SRV is on Guitar Hero. Texas Flood.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
guitar hero is fun but then there is way too many games like it now
Sig space available, give me some praise
As long as the players know that they're not playing real guitar, then, I don't see the problem.

They can be fun.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
i dont think the poll name is appropriote.
no 'game' is a 'good thing'
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Quote by Just Andrew
As long as the players know that they're not playing real guitar, then, I don't see the problem.

They can be fun.

thats just it.
Its really cause of that new "game" coming out,
that you just plug a guitar into the comp and its like guitar hero on a normal guitar.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Flam·boy·ant

dude its a game. dont take it so seriously. Just have fun
and if u can play guitar for real, then ur ahead of the curve. congrats. uve earned the right to sit and smirk at ur friend u get all amped up ovr playing a song with a plastic toy knowing ur infintely cooler than them.
plus, ur arguement isnt rly that valid since the real reason ur angry about it is ur buttsore that u suck at guitar hero
Look, there is nothing wrong with games at all. I mean so I suck at guitar hero, big deal? I can play real guitar, whereas not everyone can. Thats enough satisfaction alone.

Quote by Mr. Rittard

and I was the only one who could play real guitar, but I couldn't play guitarhero at all.

honestly I think your just upset cause your embarrased....

However, I do think throwing some blues or jazz into the game could be amazing.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
I thought TS had written a poem, lol.

It's pointless to get all stressy over it. Guitarists get up in arms about it because they see guitar games as encroaching on what they feel to be their niche, when really it's not like people who are good at Guitar Hero etc are playing gigs or selling albums because of a game. It's completely different to being a musician. I fail to see how one demographic could negatively influence what it means to be the other in any noticeable way.
Quote by prsrulz91
dude its a game. dont take it so seriously. Just have fun
and if u can play guitar for real, then ur ahead of the curve. congrats. uve earned the right to sit and smirk at ur friend u get all amped up ovr playing a song with a plastic toy knowing ur infintely cooler than them.
plus, ur arguement isnt rly that valid since the real reason ur angry about it is ur buttsore that u suck at guitar hero

It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't play guitar hero.
I was just stating it.

I just don't like the idea of guitar playing being put into a game.

but I suppose I should just let it go.
It just bugs me is all.

Flam·boy·ant

If you hate Guitar hero sooo much... I dont wanna imagine what a war veteran thinks about Call of Duty haha.
Quote by rigiddigits
I thought TS had written a poem, lol.

It's pointless to get all stressy over it. Guitarists get up in arms about it because they see guitar games as encroaching on what they feel to be their niche, when really it's not like people who are good at Guitar Hero etc are playing gigs or selling albums because of a game. It's completely different to being a musician. I fail to see how one demographic could negatively influence what it means to be the other in any noticeable way.

that was what I needed to hear. (not the poem part though, lol)
kudos to you.

EDIT:
Quote by Habs
If you hate Guitar hero sooo much... I dont wanna imagine what a war veteran thinks about Call of Duty haha.

I don't hate guitar hero either.
It just bugs me.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Habs

He probably thinks "if only we'd had God mode when we stormed that f*cking hill, I'd still have both legs and my testicles".
Quote by Mr. Rittard

and I was the only one who could play real guitar,
but I couldn't play guitarhero at all.
I'd be far happier.

Who cares if they couldn't play real guitar? I could beat someone at CoD 4, but that person might actually be a Navy Seal and he could kill real bad guys better than I could.

If your ego is fragile enough that your friends being better at a game than you is demoralizing then you are of no use to a functional and civilized society. Institutionalise yourself before you go crazy and hurt someone.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by Mr. Rittard
It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't play guitar hero.
I was just stating it.

I just don't like the idea of guitar playing being put into a game.

but I suppose I should just let it go.
It just bugs me is all.

again ITS A GAME!!!!!
no matter what happens, its something that's not supposed 2 b taken seriously, and those who do take the game seriously are just faggy douchebags
so just take it with a grain of salt and have fun with it. Most ppl understand that its not actual guitar neway, so its not like they think they r the nxt jimi hendriz cuz they can play a toy controller so u have nothing to worry about
Quote by Mr. Rittard
After being in that thread about Guitar Rising,
I'd like to know if you think guitar playing should be a game?
poll coming soon.

here are my thoughts (though I'm sure as first post, they will be overlooked):

I mean.
Guitar learning up to this point has been really
-Get a teacher
-Teach yourself
Now, there is this thing.
that is just going to mess up that perfect system.
I feel negative towards it,
possibly because I'm not so much a rock guitarist, I tend to sway towards blues/jazz.
and all this guitar hero and rock band do is emphasize rock (which makes sense for rock band) but still, I mean why don't they put more Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitarhero.
Or get some Jazz guitar in there.

I'd be far happier.

whats wrong with that? the more people able to express themselves through music, the better.

i dont particularly like games like guitar hero, but the guitar rising 'game' looks decent as it will actually help people to learn the instrument.
Last edited by TheHereAway at Jul 29, 2008,
basketball players play basketball video games
alotta guitarists play guitar video games.
but yea, i love shoving in my guitar hero friends and such how i can play a real guitar....i especially love to do it after they argue the hell outta eachother saying which one of them is better....i just an automatic "u get owned now" button.
its a sweet game. fun to play with some friends, but i absolutely HATE it when people say that guitar hero is HARDER than real guitar. That is the most ****ed up statement i have ever herd. ok so they can get 80% on "One" by Metallica, but lets see them play it on real guitar. That is the thing that pisses me off. They think that i suck because they think guitar hero is harder than real guiter. ok theres 5 buttons ond one place to strum, and you only have to strum like half the notes, but on real guitar there is like what, 120 "buttons" and 6 places to strum, and you also have to strum every note, with perfect timing, and using the right tecknique. so any ways, those pple piss me off! its about time someone started a thread like this
Quote by MightyAl
He probably thinks "if only we'd had God mode when we stormed that f*cking hill, I'd still have both legs and my testicles".

Hahahaha !

Well.. I played Guitar Hero and I was soooooo bad, I couldnt even play Paranoid (easy mode)

What I find funny is all those guys playing for HOURS trying to master a song on expert when they could use the time to actually play a REAL guitar.
Quote by darthteet
Who cares if they couldn't play real guitar? I could beat someone at CoD 4, but that person might actually be a Navy Seal and he could kill real bad guys better than I could.

If your ego is fragile enough that your friends being better at a game than you is demoralizing then you are of no use to a functional and civilized society. Institutionalise yourself before you go crazy and hurt someone.

OK! DO YOU NOT GET THAT THE PART ABOUT ME SUCKING AT GUITAR HERO ISN'T WHAT IS BUGGING ME?

Tits on a whale...
When I first started playing guitar, I sucked, we all did when we start,
and I taught myself how to play and I progressed.

I don't care if I sucked on guitarhero.
thats not the basis of my argument and it shouldn't be the basis of yours.

Good day to you.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Mr. Rittard
OK! DO YOU NOT GET THAT THE PART ABOUT ME SUCKING AT GUITAR HERO ISN'T WHAT IS BUGGING ME?

Tits on a whale...
When I first started playing guitar, I sucked, we all did when we start,
and I taught myself how to play and I progressed.

I don't care if I sucked on guitarhero.
thats not the basis of my argument and it shouldn't be the basis of yours.

Good day to you.

What is the basis of your argument then?

Quote by Mr. Rittard

This?

Or that there isn't a Jazz Guitar Hero?

Quote by Habs

What I find funny is all those guys playing for HOURS trying to master a song on expert when they could use the time to actually play a REAL guitar.

Same for people that spend hours mastering Madden when they could be out learning to play real american football.

That's a stupid argument because they are two different things. Much like you saying that people should play guitar instead of guitar hero. I say people should road race instead of playing Burnout.

Idiot.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Tubyboulin
I think TS is just mad that he sucks at Guitar Hero, and there are blues songs including SRV on them so stop your bitching about it.

I wish people would drop it.
I've already responded about three times that your comments have nothing to do with what I am talking about.

and Yeah, they have one or two SRV songs.
Whoopdidoo.

They aren't even his best songs.
Seriously. GTFO.

Flam·boy·ant

it depends really:

on one hand, it just gives kids one more game to sit in front of the tv instead of ACTUALLY learning an instrument.

but on the other hand, it could get them into decent music instead of most of that mtv garbage and it might influence them to play a guitar if they really like that sort of music.

so yea it all depends
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Quote by darthteet
1.What is the basis of your argument then?

2.This?
Or that there isn't a Jazz Guitar Hero?

Its not so much an argument ( I regret my poor word choice) as it is my opinion.
Which has nothing to do with the fact that I suck on guitar hero.

When you get things too easy you take it for granted (and I'm not talking about prodigies).

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Ben12321
its a sweet game. fun to play with some friends, but i absolutely HATE it when people say that guitar hero is HARDER than real guitar. That is the most ****ed up statement i have ever herd. ok so they can get 80% on "One" by Metallica, but lets see them play it on real guitar. That is the thing that pisses me off. They think that i suck because they think guitar hero is harder than real guiter. ok theres 5 buttons ond one place to strum, and you only have to strum like half the notes, but on real guitar there is like what, 120 "buttons" and 6 places to strum, and you also have to strum every note, with perfect timing, and using the right tecknique. so any ways, those pple piss me off! its about time someone started a thread like this

yeah i agree. People who actually take it seriously and think they r sooo much better than us real musicians should just go kill themselves. they are a waste of space
Quote by darthteet

+723895143256345636127478067183240657861307840560187346
Quote by Mr. Rittard
I wish people would drop it.
I've already responded about three times that your comments have nothing to do with what I am talking about.

and Yeah, they have one or two SRV songs.
Whoopdidoo.

They aren't even his best songs.
Seriously. GTFO.

Really, then what is it?

Are you mad that they dont have any of your favourite songs on it? Get over it.

Are you mad that people are getting exposed to more guitar based music, and your scared that people will start playing real guitar and itll lose its exlcusivity? If you were a decent enough musician then that shouldnt worry you.

Are you scared people will judge you if you cant play the GH songs on a real guitar? You must be pretty insecure if your that worried about what your friends think of your playing.
Quote by Mr. Rittard
Its not so much an argument ( I regret my poor word choice) as it is my opinion.
Which has nothing to do with the fact that I suck on guitar hero.

So what are you basing your opinion on? The fact that you aren't good at it, or that there are no jazz songs, or what? I don't actually understand your criticism of the game.

Quote by Mr. Rittard

When you get things too easy you take it for granted (and I'm not talking about prodigies).

Exactly! Guitar Pro should be outlawed, it makes learning too easy. Same for guitar teachers, books, and tab websites. Infact, practicing makes it too easy. Instead people should only be allowed to play guitar live at gigs (minimum audience size ~5,000) so that they appreciate that learning guitar is hard work.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Wiirdo
SRV is on Guitar Hero. Texas Flood.

The new one? There's a ****ty cover of Pride And Joy but I don't think I've seen Texas Flood anywhere.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Really, then what is it?

Are you mad that they dont have any of your favourite songs on it? Get over it.

Are you mad that people are getting exposed to more guitar based music, and your scared that people will start playing real guitar and itll lose its exlcusivity? If you were a decent enough musician then that shouldnt worry you.

Are you scared people will judge you if you cant play the GH songs on a real guitar? You must be pretty insecure if your that worried about what your friends think of your playing.

Nope, nope, and nope.

And I'm very much so above "decent". thank you very much.

and as far as not being able to play guitarhero songs on real guitar. GTFO. seriously.
I don't learn songs I don't like. but I can play all the songs on guitarhero that I do like.

I'm quite a good guitarist, on top of that I'm an all around well rounded musician.
I played Carnegie Hall in a Concert Band. Conducted many different local concert bands.
I can play most woodwinds and brass instruments as well as a good deal of stringed intruments. Music Theory? I've taught it. so please, don't pester me.

though, you know what? I suppose I do feel that "itll lose its exclusivity". I think it should be exclusive, because I don't think people should need a game to get motivated to play guitar.

If they really wanted to learn guitar they would have started learning it by now.
If they only wanna learn when they have a game.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Ben12321

Have you ever played actually One on guitar hero on expert? It's WAY harder than playing it on a guitar! On a normal guitar, you get to use a pick for the fast strumming parts. In guitar hero, you have to finger pick all of them. On a normal guitar, if you get off beat with the two-hand tapping part, all you have to do is listen to the drums, bass, or whatever and get back on beat. In guitar hero, if you get off beat, you have to strum with your right hand.

Lastly, even though there is a small window for strumming in GH, you can't just get completely off beat and still beat the song like you implied. And whoever got 80% on One sux.
Quote by darthteet
So what are you basing your opinion on? The fact that you aren't good at it, or that there are no jazz songs, or what? I don't actually understand your criticism of the game.

Exactly! Guitar Pro should be outlawed, it makes learning too easy. Same for guitar teachers, books, and tab websites. Infact, practicing makes it too easy. Instead people should only be allowed to play guitar live at gigs (minimum audience size ~5,000) so that they appreciate that learning guitar is hard work.

1.Basically this,
I think it should be exclusive, because I don't think people should need a game to get motivated to play guitar.
If they really wanted to learn guitar they would have started learning it by now.

2. I'll actually agree that I was wrong.
I didn't think it through.
Its not that it would make it easy.
Its what I said for number 1.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Mr. Rittard
Nope, nope, and nope.

And I'm very much so above "decent". thank you very much.

and as far as not being able to play guitarhero songs on real guitar. GTFO. seriously.
I don't learn songs I don't like. but I can play all the songs on guitarhero that I do like.

I'm quite a good guitarist, on top of that I'm an all around well rounded musician.
I played Carnegie Hall in a Concert Band. Conducted many different local concert bands.
I can play most woodwinds and brass instruments as well as a good deal of stringed intruments. Music Theory? I've taught it. so please, don't pester me.

though, you know what? I suppose I do feel that "itll lose its exclusivity". I think it should be exclusive, because I don't think people should need a game to get motivated to play guitar.

You forgot "modest".

There was some sort of event, or series of events, that made you want to play guitar. Just like there is for everything.

For example, I might want to be a pro footballer because I watched my favourite footballer score some goal. Or a might want to play guitar because I was amazed at little wing. Or I might want to play guitar because guitar hero got me interested in it, and I tried it, only to realise that I really enjoyed it.

You are basically saying 'your reasons for playing guitar aren't as good, or as valid in some way as mine, so therefore I don't like guitar hero".

You still haven't told me what your criticism of the game is, though I suspect I may have deuced it...
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
It's brilliant marketing, because just about everyone has fantasized about being a rock star.

Honestly, I don't know anyone who thinks it's equivalent to playing the real thing, and I can guarantee that someone playing "Through the Fire and Flames" on an actual guitar would impress people a lot more than someone doing it on Guitar Hero.
Page 1 of 2