hell UG. uhm...i feel like attempting to save some money so i wanna build a cab. i have an old bookcase im going to use for the body (2 1/2 x 2ft). if at all possible i wanna use some old speakers i got in it, but if i cant ill buy new. i nee it to be wired at 4 ohms....so, how i do i wire the speakers together, and how do i make sure its at 4 ohms? also, where can i find an input jack?

greatly appreciated.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
The impedance of your cab (ohms) will be dependent on the impedance of your individual speakers and how you wire them. If your speakers are 8ohm each, then you can wire them in parallel to achieve total impedance of 4 ohm. If they are 4 ohm each, you're out of luck and can only use one.

You can get an input jack from most any electronic parts retailer. Online I'd look at smallbearelec.com stewmac.com tubesandmore.com etc.

By the way, what kind of wood are you using? And will the cab be open back or closed back?
its maple (i plan to have a natural finish on it). and its going to be open backed.

oh, and would it be possible to have a schematic for the wiring? im not too familiar with parraler wiring, so if u could find a picture or any resource for that, it would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

Last edited by vmanoman at Jul 29, 2008,
what's the impedance of the two speakers you have? I'm interested in building my own cab, I dont have the materials at the moment though.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
im not entirely sure the impudence. but they were old home theater speakers so id assume theyd be 8 ohms.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

Well, if they are both 8-ohm speakers, wire them in parallel to get a total impedance of 4 ohms. I must warn you though, home audio speakers will likely not sound as good as guitar speakers because they are designed for full-range reproduction rather than designed to shape the tone of a guitar.
^ he is right. if you want good, inexpensive ones ( that is, you don't wanna shell out for celestions) try Emminence.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
There's a tutorial here for cab building. Search for it (you'll also find out why those dimensions won't work)...

Quote by cedricsmods
Well, if they are both 8-ohm speakers, wire them in parallel to get a total impedance of 4 ohms. I must warn you though, home audio speakers will likely not sound as good as guitar speakers because they are designed for full-range reproduction rather than designed to shape the tone of a guitar.

Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel is still 8 ohms...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jul 31, 2008,
1/[1/8+1/8]=4

Parallel impedances should be the inverse of the sum of the inverses. In series the impedances should add depending on what type of reactance is going on.

4 8ohm speakers in series-parallel should be 8 ohms though