Page 1 of 2
I want one of these guitars but I can't decide. According to the gibson specs, they're exactly the same except the neck joint location. They're even the same price. I love how they both look but I'm leaning more toward the flying v. Help me decide, tell me the differences.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Products/Designer/V-Factor/specs/
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Products/Designer/X-plorer/specs/
it's the most difficult choice a gibson player can possibly make.......

Watch Metalocalypse and choose whether you like skwisgaar or toki more, and go with that one
go with the V man it'll never let you down

if you want a reason for chooseing the V it can depend on what kind of music you play ive found that the V has more of a metal tone to it rather than the explorer, its also slightly lighter, an to me its a hell of a lot more confortable to play on than that big ass exlplorer is
Last edited by GeoffreySmis at Jul 29, 2008,
Go and play both and you will see that they feel totally diffrent when holding/playing. Decide on that impression
explorer in my opinion is one of the greatest shapes ever, i would go with teh explorer
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Play them both and see which is more comfortable. Looks really shouldn't be much of a factor when choosing a guitar. In this case you are set on two shapes, and since you can't decide on which, decide on which one you like playing better, which should have been why you want them in the first place (IMO).

pepsi
I have an explorer....you can't walk through doors. Kicks ass though. I recommend going to a guitar shop and playing both and find out which one is most comfortable.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Explorer
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
i imagine they sound very alike.. but the explorer looks so much better
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I feel like the explorer looks better when you're just standing, but the v looks better when you're running around, and the explorer looks more like it's meant for metal. The v just looks badass for anything
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jul 29, 2008,
if your going by looks, then the Explorer wins.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
don't play both ! waste of time ! go with the explorer. metal up your ass !

just my opinion.

and as said before: you can play it easier, when sitting down.
Explorer. the V looks...nah, don't like it
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I think the V sounds better, even if they do have the same pickups...

Tough choice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well, technically, the Explorer SHOULD have an overall bigger sound and more sustain bigger the body is significantly bigger, but it wouldn't be too much of a difference.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by GeoffreySmis
go with the V man it'll never let you down

if you want a reason for chooseing the V it can depend on what kind of music you play ive found that the V has more of a metal tone to it rather than the explorer, its also slightly lighter, an to me its a hell of a lot more confortable to play on than that big ass exlplorer is

How so? The Explorers body is bigger, therefore has a heavier, deeper tone. Are you sure it wasn't just the pickups?

I'd go with the Explorer because of how hared it is to sit with a V.
Dickless.
I like Toki more, but the Explorer is a much more comfortable instrument to play. I plan on getting an Explorer when I have the money.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Personnaly, I prefer the Explorer. You have better fret accessibility, and you can sit down with it way easier.
Explorer. It's just THAT much easier to play sitting down.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
how is the explorer easyer to play sitting down. if you sit with one wing between your legs with a v like your supposed to, its in the classical position. its alot easyer to play every fret.

and i love my V
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
I thought the v would have a deeper tone, more resonance, and better sustain because there is more neck to body contact.

Next question...white or black? The black ones come with a rosewood fingerboard and the white ones come with ebony. I love the feel of maple fingerboards. I like the explorer in black more but the v in white.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I thought the v would have a deeper tone, more resonance, and better sustain because there is more neck to body contact.

Next question...white or black? The black ones come with a rosewood fingerboard and the white ones come with ebony. I love the feel of maple fingerboards. I like the explorer in black more but the v in white.

Dude.... I'm serious. I own an Explorer, and it is worth every penny I paid for it. Simply awesome.

I have it in Ebony, and it is amazingly beautiful, not to mention it sounds beastly.

V's are uncomfortable, and sound thin IMO.

You will love it, I guarantee you. Especially if you play metal. It sounds really deep, and growls with palm mutes.

Of course this all depends on your amp. My amp doesn't do it justice.
I don't plan on playing metal on this guitar. I'm looking for more of a classic rock sound. My next guitar will be for the metal. I'm sure I'll love both of them, that's y the decision is so hard. And I don't really think I would choose either of them over my strat anyway, that thing just sounds awesome. Just looking for something with a little more power. But not over the top metal...yet.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I don't plan on playing metal on this guitar. I'm looking for more of a classic rock sound. My next guitar will be for the metal. I'm sure I'll love both of them, that's y the decision is so hard. And I don't really think I would choose either of them over my strat anyway, that thing just sounds awesome. Just looking for something with a little more power. But not over the top metal...yet.

I use my Explorer for classic rock, even though it does sound awesome for metal.

You shouldn't choose your strat over an Explorer or Flying V either, they are total different beasts.

The Explorer is the better buy IMO, and I think you will be happier with your purchase.
explorer is probably the better choice here as it has a deeper tone and esaier to play sitting down.
Quote by StevoIRL
Hetfield what a man bit of belly but still what a man

Gear

Gibson Slash Signature LP
B-52 AT-112 60 watt
Digitech Rp90
I'd say for a Gibson, get the Explorer. Sexiest guitar out there, next to the Rhoads V, which brings me to my next point...

If you go the Explorer route, just get the Gibson in Black. But you COULD get a Rhoads style V. I hate the way the Gibson Vs look. It's too rounded off and stuff. Looks like it was made to comply with child safety standards or something.
I really like both, but I prefer the V slightly more than the Explorer. I love wedging my leg between the V when I sit down to play, I find it very comfortable. And of course...

Last edited by Ausgeno at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by Ausgeno
I really like both, but I prefer the V slightly more than the Explorer. I love wedging my leg between the V when I sit down to play, I find it very comfortable. And of course...

*Pic of Hetfield*

But, there's this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
But, there's this.

lol.

james hetfield's stage presence was dominating back in the day, i think partly because of his explorer. Go for the explorer...its really a great guitar. The flying v is just butt ugly.
I've played the Vee on stage before and the are comfortable. The Explorer is more comfortable to play sitting down. Sound wise they both have the same pick-ups so tonality they are very similar. Choose how they feel not by the coolness factor.
I personally would go with something other than gibson(over priced) but out of the two i'd say Explorer.
Although its not really of any constellation but my friends hollow body explorer has incredible acoustic qualities. But as for regular explorers they are extremely comfortable to play.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
The beauty about the flying Vs and explorers is that they aren't overpriced. They're about 1200, which is about the same price and even less than some other v's and explorers. I'm buying it pretty much for the coolness factor. I have an american deluxe strat, and that's the only electric guitar that's ever felt right in my hands. So that'll b my main one, I'm just looking for something with powerful humbuckers that looks good. I was thinking about this one too http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-V-Dave-Mustaine-Angel-of-Deth-Electric-Guitar?sku=516229. But it's too metal for me. I'm looking for more of a classic rock guitar (looks wise). I think I'm leaning towards the flying v. It's lighter and the sitting down thing doesn't really affect me cuz I usually play standing up. I like that it's symmetrical and the pickguard looks better.
I always think of Explorers as rhythm guitars for some reason.

I know, I know - loads of guys use them for some sick leads. But I always think of it as the Flying V's rhythm-playing brother. Maybe that's why I like it more.

On the question of color: get white, with a black pickgaurd.
Page 1 of 2