I have a Crate 15-watt SS amp, and i m savin for a Kustom Defender but im starting to jam with ppl a lot and i need more volume...should i hold out or buy the EVJ combo to hold me in the meantime
is that the one with only the volume knob? i dont understand the concept: where does the EQ come from? overdrive/clean switch?

enlighten me
I recommend you keep saving.

^The more knobs and frills an amp has, the more it robs from the original tone, IMO.
So, the "less is more" design of the EVJ is probably why it's such a popular amp, and modding platform.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i like the amp, but you can't crank it and get a clean tone (for the obvious reasons)
but it's still got a pretty nice tone to it, and it's not a bad amp to have overall.
I can't count the number of times the VJ has come in useful in random situations. I bought one on a whim, for no apparent reason, and use it a lot more than logic should dictate.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
i love mine!! i've done a couple mods for more clean headroom. and pedals sound great with it. a eq and good reverb is nice to have also. so you might take that in to consideration.
It would be a nice amp to have, and a good upgrade in the mean time, but it's a one trick pony, so make sure you like it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
It would be a nice amp to have, and a good upgrade in the mean time, but it's a one trick pony, so make sure you like it.

mine must have sleeves............it's got more than one trick. beautiful cleans, nice blues tone, classic rock tones and with a pedal kick ass metal tones.
^It's clean at low volumes. For gigging/jamming volumes, it's overdriven to a nice dirty blues/classic rock. An OD can push it to metal, but there are MUCH better solutions for metal players. It's certainly no metal amp. And that's all assuming he has an OD. For someone without an OD pedal, at jam volumes, it's a one-trick pony.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by rokknrollldude
i need more volume...should i hold out or buy the EVJ combo to hold me in the meantime

The VJ combo will not provide you with the volume you seek. Hold out. If that's too hard, see if you can find a nice 15W tube combo used.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^It's clean at low volumes. For gigging/jamming volumes, it's overdriven to a nice dirty blues/classic rock. An OD can push it to metal, but there are MUCH better solutions for metal players. It's certainly no metal amp. And that's all assuming he has an OD. For someone without an OD pedal, at jam volumes, it's a one-trick pony.

like i said above mines not stock. nor do i use the epi speaker. with very little money you can do a couple mods and get alot more clean headroom.
^I'm talking about the amp assuming he will keep it at least mostly stock. Modding it is a different story.

EDIT: And slats is right, assuming your talking about jamming with a drummer/full band. If you just jam with other guitarists, the VJ could be okay, assuming they don't have huge amps.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
get a blackhearwt handsome devil or little giant

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by TNfootballfan62
^I'm talking about the amp assuming he will keep it at least mostly stock. Modding it is a different story.

EDIT: And slats is right, assuming your talking about jamming with a drummer/full band. If you just jam with other guitarists, the VJ could be okay, assuming they don't have huge amps.

did you not read his post? and modding is half the fun and pretty cheap to do.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 29, 2008,
Aren't there new Epiphone amps coming out sooner or later? Like Epiphone Valve Seniors?

If they don't come out in a while, I'd get the EVJ. I have one, and it's a nice tube amp. It's good for now, I'm probably going to upgrade my amp later on, but this is good for what I do.
Quote by mmjohn
did you not read his post? and modding is half the fun and pretty cheap to do.

Read whose post? Modding is indeed fun, and cheap until you start fully retubing and buying new speakers. But many people, especially those inexperienced in electronics and guitar, don't want to jump into modding right away. Especially when saving for a better amp, anyway.

My discussion and judgment of the amp has been assuming he won't be performing any mods, so I think my opinion still stands. Like I said, if he wants to mod the amp, this is a whole new ballgame.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Read whose post? Modding is indeed fun, and cheap until you start fully retubing and buying new speakers. But many people, especially those inexperienced in electronics and guitar, don't want to jump into modding right away. Especially when saving for a better amp, anyway.

My discussion and judgment of the amp has been assuming he won't be performing any mods, so I think my opinion still stands. Like I said, if he wants to mod the amp, this is a whole new ballgame.

you can buy a head and different cab. bitmo spanky mod $24.95 www.tubestore.com/bmspanky.htm
tubes about $22
output transformer $32
sound is priceless!!
i have a 1x12 cab with a celestion g12k
^At that money, you're looking at better amps, stock, though. And he's trying to save money for his future amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
After seeing the rest of this thread, I'm not sure what to think. The VJ is fantastic for a few things (certainly not a one trick pony, but certainly not more than a three trick pony......two is a well rounded number so I continue this post based on that presumption). At jamming volumes it can either give you crispy clean-ish crunch, or a full on crunch. The low end is not tight by any stretch of the imagination and though an OD can help, it will never completely resolve this. If you have the option of backing off the amp volume and relying on an OD for distortion, it's completely magnificent. Therefore the VJ has two tricks: the first is a crunched up jamming amp, the second is a surprisingly good sounding recording amp.

My drummer can play over mine, without even trying, with the volume all the way up. Admittedly he's quite a loud drummer, but this still deserves mention as I'm certain I don't have the only loud drummer in the world.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by TubeAmpGuy

+1

If you can stretch your money to pick up a used Classic 30 on eBay, that is definitely the way to go.

With that said, the VJ is a very solid sounding (and cheap--I believe Sweetwater is still selling the combo for $150USD with free shipping) little amp. I recommend you try it out in a store to see if the volume will be enough to meet your needs.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
i really like my VJ, but i'm with slats and kyle etc. i'm not sure it's loud enough, and i'm not sure it's versatile enough without costly mods and/or pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
heyboar claims it increases it to 8 watts. but i did bitmo spanky mods, tubes and transformer at the same time. i know it brighter crisper and louder than it was before the mods were done. $80 well spent........but most important is the increase in clean headroom. the tone stays very clean till about 1 o'clock on the volume knob.
^ Dude, I'm sure your modified VJ is the shizzizzle, but the threadstarter is looking for a volume increase on a tight budget. The VJ alone isn't the answer, and as for the $80 of mods you're proposing:

a.) he doesn't have it and
b.) if he did, he could afford a nice 15W tube combo.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by rokknrollldude
will a new output transformare make my VJ louder?

i was answering this question.............you might want to read the whole thread.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Epiphany521
is that the one with only the volume knob? i dont understand the concept: where does the EQ come from? overdrive/clean switch?

enlighten me

you use your guitar's tone controls to shape your sound, and your guitar's volume controls to clean up the sound.

I'm suprised at how few players know how to do this. The most famous amps in history, Fenders, old Marshalls, Hiwatts, etc. were all single channel amps that would overdrive when you turned them up (no master volumes, get gain by cranking the volume) yet guys like Page, Clapton, etc. new had any trouble getting clean and overdriven tones without things like channel switching.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 30, 2008,
im thinking ill wait...i have $170 and im earning moneys fast, by xmas i should have mor than enuff bucks for the kustom, if not a classic 30....thanks for the advice guys!
Quote by rokknrollldude
im thinking ill wait...i have $170 and im earning moneys fast, by xmas i should have mor than enuff bucks for the kustom, if not a classic 30....thanks for the advice guys!

i think waiting for what you really want is a wise idea. the vj is great but by the time you had it set up and sounding how you want. you would be alot closer $ wise to the amp you really wanted.
but WAIT!!!! what 15-watt amps do u suggest
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I wasn't aware that Eric Cartman was a UGer.

He said that about me

If you're earning money on a consistent basis, there's no reason you'd need to settle for a 15 watt amp, necessarily. Just pick out a nice amp for what you play and save up for it.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?