Page 1 of 3
I've now been home for a good 2 or so weeks from university and I'm getting increasingly worried and annoyed.

I was initially quite reluctant to come home and my late arrival caused a lot of arguments...especially when I ended up with twice the amount of stuff I took (it was mostly books and stuff and I had NO money for storage)

Then tensions began to come about because of my music. I've been trying to get a proper band of my own and my grandparents in particular don't like the idea.

It's now developed to the point where I wish I'd never left Newcastle. I seem to be having arguments over the slightest little things, such as cushions being in the wrong place or my music being too loud.

I'm getting fed-up but I rely on my grandparents and family for uni money among other things and I also do genuinely care for them. I don't like being pushed around yet I don't want to be confrontational.

Any ideas ? Before I really lose it?
Last edited by Fassa Albrecht at Jul 29, 2008,
Why wouldn't your grandparents want you to be in a band? It seems to my inexperienced ears your family are just being obtuse for the sake of it.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by sg255
Why wouldn't your grandparents want you to be in a band? It seems to my inexperienced ears your family are just being obtuse for the sake of it.

None of my family are musicians so me being in a band would make me very unique.
Storage is cheap, you can afford it.
Play your music with headphones?
Find a band anyway. Grandparents always usually don't like what their grandkids are doing.
If all else fail, become a hooker and live with your customers or move out/find a hotel.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Nope, it's too easy. I won't do it.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
None of my family are musicians so me being in a band would make me very unique.
tell them music is a beautiful art and you enjoy it very much.

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

id say get a job since ur not in school at the moment...they cant say sh** after that
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

uniqueness is good, they should be supporting you.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
tell them music is a beautiful art and you enjoy it very much.

Already done so...didn't work.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Do what?
don't ask. that only makes it worse. GNR_ROK I know what you're thinking

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Why does Fassa always have new problems that s/he feels the need to share with the pit?

Honestly this is like the 10th time I've seen you complaining about your family. Grow some balls and tell them how you actually feel. If you offend them enough that they stop paying for school, start working and make the money yourself. These are minor life situation that you're expected to deal with by yourself, much like the rest of the world.

Ps. If you want some tips on how to breath next, don't bother posting.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
You should be old enough to be able to just suck it up. Give it the old 'yes sir, no sir' and just ignore them, keep to yourself, don't talk back, etc.

Do you make a note of posting at least once a week about how your family hate your worship-bass music?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
They've probably just gotten used to peace and quiet while you were at Uni.

And you think your families being unsupportive in you being a musician? I had that problem turns out once I had a proper chat to my dad about it while he was drunk at first but later on when he was sober he actually thinks i've got the commitment to make it in music . I always thought he'd think I'd be some loser just because he never voiced his support.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Did I ever tell you how much I love you?

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']My father once said to me "Son, masturbation can stunt your growth and make you blind".

I said "I'm over here, shorty".
No offense but that sounded a little selfish,
If they are supporting you financially the least you can do is turn the music down and organize books etc so they take up less space and is more convenient to everyone

But about the band the only reason they probably don't want you to form one is because they know you have no respect in terms of volume levels and don't want to hear it, apart from that I doubt they have an issue
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by dp2007
They've probably just gotten used to peace and quiet while you were at Uni.

And you think your families being unsupportive in you being a musician? I had that problem turns out once I had a proper chat to my dad about it while he was drunk at first but later on when he was sober he actually thinks i've got the commitment to make it in music . I always thought he'd think I'd be some loser just because he never voiced his support.

Well they had no issue with it last summer when I wasn't talking about joining bands and doing gigs.
More speifially my grandparents have actually said they don't like the idea of me gigging.
Quote by Jericho114
Why does Fassa always have new problems that s/he feels the need to share with the pit?

Honestly this is like the 10th time I've seen you complaining about your family. Grow some balls and tell them how you actually feel. If you offend them enough that they stop paying for school, start working and make the money yourself. These are minor life situation that you're expected to deal with by yourself, much like the rest of the world.

Ps. If you want some tips on how to breath next, don't bother posting.

He's got a point, Fassa. Don't you have friends to ask for advice?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Well they had no issue with it last summer when I wasn't talking about joining bands and doing gigs.
More speifially my grandparents have actually said they don't like the idea of me gigging.

Ah ok. Have you tried asking them why they don't want you gigging or what their scared ofmhappening to you at a gig?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']My father once said to me "Son, masturbation can stunt your growth and make you blind".

Quote by Jesus=ConArtist
No offense but that sounded a little selfish,
If they are supporting you financially the least you can do is turn the music down and organize books etc so they take up less space and is more convenient to everyone

But about the band the only reason they probably don't want you to form one is because they know you have no respect in terms of volume levels and don't want to hear it, apart from that I doubt they have an issue

I play blooming worship music- it's not like I'm blasting out death metal at 2am.

All I want is a little band to do a few low-key gigs and open mic events with. Hell, they should be glad I've got a social life, even if it means being with other musicians
Smother them with a pillow when they go to sleep tonight.
Not enough to kill them, just enough to really really scare them so they think you're a ****ed up psycho. Maybe whisper something crazy in their ear to wake them up just before you do it.
Make sure to smile crazily while doing it.
They'll never bother you again and everything will be perfect.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by dp2007
Ah ok. Have you tried asking them why they don't want you gigging or what their scared ofmhappening to you at a gig?

They refuse to even talkwith me about it and when I try and chat about it they change the subject.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I play blooming worship music- it's not like I'm blasting out death metal at 2am.

All I want is a little band to do a few low-key gigs and open mic events with. Hell, they should be glad I've got a social life, even if it means being with other musicians

You mention ''band'' to anyone you are living with and their instant reaction while be
''Not in my house''
Bet that is all they are worried about
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
UG: Google for idiots and Fassa Albrecht's counselor.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Jesus=ConArtist
You mention ''band'' to anyone you are living with and their instant reaction while be
''Not in my house''
Bet that is all they are worried about

True, true...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Fixed....

Well spotted.

Doesn't change the fact that you complain more about your parents than my 12 year old sister does.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Tell them their being childish in not trying to talk the issue over with you and if they still refuse to talk about it you should just tell them to give you some time to talk in front of them and basically say you respect what their saying but performing gigs is something that you would really like to do that would help you both socially and musically possibly even financially.

If that doesn't work then I have no more ideas I'm afraid
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Quote by dp2007
Tell them their being childish in not trying to talk the issue over with you and if they still refuse to talk about it you should just tell them to give you some time to talk in front of them and basically say you respect what their saying but performing gigs is something that you would really like to do that would help you both socially and musically possibly even financially.

If that doesn't work then I have no more ideas I'm afraid

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
They refuse to even talkwith me about it and when I try and chat about it they change the subject.

Change your attitude, repay their mistreatment with love. That's really how you can change people's minds.
Quote by Thales
Change your attitude, repay their mistreatment with love. That's really how you can change people's minds.

Either that or learn some really hard bassline and play it to them and show them I am a capable musician.
Quote by Thales

Some light smothering is easier than this.
Trust me TS, would I lie to a complete stranger over the internet in an attempt to get her convicted of attempted murder?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
It's only about a month until you get to go back to school. Just confront them, I'm sure they'll understand. Just explain everything to them, I'm sure they'll get it.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

You have now.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Quote by StreetLight3989
It's only about a month until you get to go back to school. Just confront them, I'm sure they'll understand.

I'm not exactly the most confrontational person in the world....most of the time I'm quite a wuss
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm not exactly the most confrontational person in the world....most of the time I'm quite a wuss

Just try to explain it, I'm sure they'll understand. Trust me, if you love music and they see you're having a good time and you explain it to them they won't bother you.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by mrwaffles
Learn some of Victor Wooten's stuff. That outta show them that you're a good bassist.

But I'm a slap-bassist...
Page 1 of 3