I'm tuning in the new strings, and they are standard tuning. I go to tune the intonation, and the needle doesn't move an inch when I move the saddle. This is on a Dean Evo XM, using a chromatic tuner. I'm thinking it might be the tuner, it's not a pedal tuner, which I know are much faster and more accurate. So what am I doing wrong?
Unless I've misunderstood, which I probably have, you use the tuning pegs to tune, not the saddles.
I tune the string with the tuning pegs, and then I fret the string at the 12th, if it's sharp, I move the saddle towards my bridge, and then I tune the string back up, then fret it at the 12th and so on and so forth.
Quote by EvoXM
I tune the string with the tuning pegs, and then I fret the string at the 12th, if it's sharp, I move the saddle towards my bridge, and then I tune the string back up, then fret it at the 12th and so on and so forth.

I'm not sure if that's a great idea. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I slacken my strings first because it seems like they would break pretty easily when moving the saddles with tension on the strings.

Also, is it a fixed bridge? If it is a tremolo bridge, it could be pulling against the springs with the increased tension, and thus slackening the other strings. (Sounds counter-intuitive, but that's what could be happening)
Last edited by rmcgdd at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by rmcgdd
I'm not sure if that's a great idea. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I slacken my strings first because it seems like they would break pretty easily when moving the saddles with tension on the strings.

Also, is it a fixed bridge? If it is a tremolo bridge, it could be pulling against the springs with the increased tension, and thus slackening the other strings. (Sounds counter-intuitive, but that's what could be happening)

No, it's not a fixed bridge. In order: I tune string using the tuning peg. Then fret the same string at the 12th and if it's sharp, I loosin' the string to where it's near C, and then move the saddle where in the direction it should go. Tune the string back to E, then fret it at the 12th, and repeat as necessary.