I use a roland microcube and a agile al-2000
and a boss ds-1

however i only use the ds-1 if i need to go from clean to distortion rlly fast
otherwise i use the cube settings

and i have to say the distortion sucks... i dunno if its the guitar/amp/pickups

the ds-1 makes it a bit better but it still sounds too muddy, i want a clear distortion where u can hear it well like this kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zWro0Y4REs

but ya i want to get a good hardrock, punk, metal sound
your never gonna get that sound out of that setup.. sorry... just play with the setting until you get the best you can
My suggestion is to save up money for an amp with a larger speaker and more watts. A 12 inch speaker can make all the difference in the world man, hell even a 8 inch or 10 inch speaker would be better. That's the reason why I didn't get the micro cube a year ago because I hated the way the speaker sounded. But for now don't use the play with the amp's distortions and EQ, I've heard the Cube series doesn't take pedals very well.
Hope this helps

EDIT: Your guitar is fine and the DS-1 can be useful with another amp, but you need a larger speaker cone for more clarity. So bigger amp clearer sound, better sound distortion. (Hopefully) Maybe you ask around here on UG for an amp that'll fit your needs.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Jul 29, 2008,
i never have money to spend anymore cause i gotta pay the car insurance and gas but what 15 watt amp is best suited for me?
Ah yes gas is a bitch isn't it. Umm for punk, hard rock and metal. First question is do you want an amp modeler like the Cube you have now or do you want a regular amp with one or two channels? Second do you want solid state or tube? Remember tube is more expensive and needs more maintenance but the tone is better.

Edit; What your budget?
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
well the most i can probably afford in 2 months is 100$...or 120 if im lucky, all my money goes to my car and **** hangin with freinds lol ima have to go SS tubes too much $$
Hmm small budget but I know how hard it is to save money. Your probably only going to able to get regular one/two channel amps. Ok since i'm a Vox fan I'll state my little bias now so that you can disregard it. The Vox Pathfinder sounded pretty cool when I played it last in Guitar Center, sounded kinda like a mini AC15/ AC30. However the distortion was just that like an AC15/30 more for classic rock and with the gain boost mid gain punk. Anyway I honestly play punk and ska so I don't really look for those metal or hard rock tones so here's my best try okay? Take a look at a Raven amp, I have a friend who plays metal and he likes the Raven amp line, I honestly haven't hear it much so I can't say anything about it. Also another friend who plays metal has a Line 6 spider but I really don't like the amp because it sounds really digital. And last another friend plays a Peavey amp and I liked it more than the others but still not me ya know? I'm sorry I'm not much help but take a look at those name amps in your price range. Maybe you should start an amp suggestion thread since I don't know much about hard rock and metal amps. My best advice though is go to guitar center with your guitar and play all the amps in your price range and pick the one that sounds the best to you.
Hope this helps
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
a good budget amp in my opinion is the line 6 spider3 75 watt with a 12 inch celestion speaker. for a solid state its got good non tube tone great in the red rectifier mode they go for 299 but if you get it on a credit or even debit card from american musical supply you can get it for 3 payments of $83.99 and they send it to you after making the first payment.if you can afford 84 bucks for the next 3 months it will solve your problem.
i know alot of people run down the spiders what else can you get for under 300 bucks with as many possibilities and the volume i know they lack the realy warm clean tones you get from a half tube stack. the reason i suggest the 75 is even a beginer grows tired of 15 and 30 watt sounds pretty quickly 75 watts gives much longer satisfaction and quite a bit more to experiment with. i have played for 30 years after taken a couple of years of selling off the equip and not playing as much i recently decided to get back into playing more mostly to get my 10 year old daughter interested i got a spider 75 never even heard of one years ago but when you gotta pay bills i think its agreat way to go.
If your only going to have a little money to spend then you wouldnt be upgrading much. You have a practice amp they arent really made to have the greatest tone. A 15 watt spider isnt that bad but any other spider is just a more expensive practice amp. And buying the FBV pedal to make everything work comes close to doubling the price of the amp. We all have the same issues with expenses. So just live with what you got and put a little money away each month to get something good instead of another half ass amp you wont be happy with in 3 months. If get something like a spider you be on here asking how to get decent tone out of it to be told you need a better amp again.
ive heard that al-2000 series has bad pickups, i think thats the reason cause my ibanez rg sounds great on the cube, its just the agile that sounds too muddy, what pickups are a good replacement?
I've had a Microcube. If you can't get good distorted tone from it, then your pickups must be made of dry white dog poop.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert