Ive been playing for about 3 months now, and so far i can play the full Ironman song, and One, without the final solo. I am self taught so far, but i might look into lessons, what do ye guys think? Am i doing well?
well if you dedicate your 3 months just to those 2 songs... then no... you just want to learn a song, I've been playing for almost 5 months now and i can play almost 30 complete songs. probably about 27 or 28... close enough to 30... and i'm tab taught... tabs are easy to read... a lot of them are just really hard to play...
No, i can play more songs than that, i was just naming those as an example.
Audio recordings, videos, anything of that sort would be nice.

However, based on what you're saying, you are doing pretty well. Lessons are a nice way to overcome plateaus and just generally learn if you are doing something the right way. It might help to take one or two just to see if it helps at all with your playing, as the instructor will most likely [better] know the correct way to perform what you need help with most or just correct your bad habits.

You're doing a hell lot better than I ever did, but I've only been playing for about two years, most of which was under the instruction of a teacher.

Here's a handy little tip for that last One solo: just break up the hard parts into digestible bits and practice 'em with a metronome.

I don't know if I was any help, but there you go.
Quote by randomhero93
well if you dedicate your 3 months just to those 2 songs... then no... you just want to learn a song, I've been playing for almost 5 months now and i can play almost 30 complete songs. probably about 27 or 28... close enough to 30... and i'm tab taught... tabs are easy to read... a lot of them are just really hard to play...

If you can play one song perfectly or 30 songs at a mediocre level then go with the one song. if you can master that song perfectly with all its dynamics and problems then it would put you in a much better mental position when you learn more songs. if you learn to just rope learn lots of music it can easily take away the passion for each individual song and so that song will never be any better than mediocre.
I teach people the basics of guitaring and then let them go their own course, and teaching them a couple of songs until they can play them flawlessly easily beats teaching them loads of songs at one time so they cant really focus on one song.

i understand that randomhero has had 5 months to learn those songs so fair enough maybe he didnt learn them all in one go, but dont let that put pressure on you dude. guitaring is a personal thing and should never be a competition. Its just because there are a lot of really young people on this forum wanting to be appreciated that they are all eager to demean each other.
Just carry on doing what you love and dont let the b**t**ds get you down.
iv also been playing about 3 months and I dont know any songs the whole way through, I seem to just learn the riff of a few tunes and then just get bored. I have gotten a lot quicker at chord changes, I can play barre chords quite nicely, Gotten a lot better at pull offs, hammer ons, bends e.t.c and I have started to improvise in the minor pentatonic scales (only one i know at the moment) developing my phrasing. using what i have learnt so far i have made a rhythm tune in Am using minor barre chords and then a little lead to go with it in the Am penatonic . I think Im doing okay but I would also like to get lessons, even if its just a few to help me develop the correct technique and to fully understand what im playing, I am also trying to work on knowing all the notes I am playing I can usually tell by looking but it takes about 3 seconds to work it out, I really want it to be almost instant. But to answer your question, yes I dont see why not, if your still enjoying playing and learning new things then your doing great, stick with it, we all learn at diff speeds and in diff ways, just dont give up
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube