Page 1 of 2
Cause when I first started recording myself, I couldn't.
but I got used to it as time went on, and today I recorded myself again,
and it was like a flashback to back when.

so,
Do singers like the sounds of their own voice? Do you?

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

I used to not like my voice but that's because I couldn't hit notes.

But now I like it because I sounds unique and I can somewhat hit notes now.

I just wish I could sing to something besides chords and powerchords... practice makes perfect.
FIJI
i hate the sound of mine

but like the TS said ive gotten used to it over time
it just sounds weird hearing yourself
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
the only singer who likes the sound of his own voice is Rod Stewart
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by groll01
the only singer who likes the sound of his own voice is Rod Stewart

I believe it.

Flam·boy·ant

Yeah, I think after a while you get used to it.
I was recording today and I realized that its not as bad as it used to be.
Maybe I got better, or maybe I've just heard it enough that I don't hate it any more.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
I hope not, as I hate the sound of mine...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
i know i sound alot more nasaly than i thought i did
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
I always wonder if like after Steve Perry recorded "Oh Sherrie" or "Don't Stop Believing" if he just went, "Nope, that is trash."

Flam·boy·ant

i heard the guy from billy talent hates his voice....

but he's gay so it doesn't really matter
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Quote by clancy256
i heard the guy from billy talent hates his voice....

but he's gay so it doesn't really matter

anti-gay?

anti-bill talent?

Flam·boy·ant

I hate mine, and so does everyone else.

I think my growls sound alright though.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
I hate mine, and so does everyone else.

I think my growls sound alright though.

growls sound?

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Santiago300
I don't like the sound of my voice

...But then again, neither does anyone else.

HAHAHA!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
I don't like my voice.
Its cuz i mainly lost my singing voice cuz of lack of practice over the past year and now i can barely hit the notes and seriously lack any support.
So its gonna take a little while before i can develop my singing voice again n maybe i can like my voice again!!
I despise my singing voice, my talking voice, and my recorded voice.

But when I scream, angels appear.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
I despise my singing voice, my talking voice, and my recorded voice.

But when I scream, angels appear.

Flam·boy·ant

I used to hate listening to my singing voice, but after listening to recordings of me singing for a year or two I've gotten used to it. I don't like it per se, but it doesn't bother me anymore.
I like my voice when I get things right, but if I screw up I'm like ARGGH.

So yeah. It's a love-hate relationship.

If you want to know if you can sing you have to get people to tell you and be honest about it. I get told I'm a good singer, but I still think I suck more than most people. xD Besides, I don't have lessons like most people in my school, so my voice is special.
... I think. D:
Quote by xPsychoSaiko
I like my voice when I get things right, but if I screw up I'm like ARGGH.

So yeah. It's a love-hate relationship.

If you want to know if you can sing you have to get people to tell you and be honest about it. I get told I'm a good singer, but I still think I suck more than most people. xD Besides, I don't have lessons like most people in my school, so my voice is special.
... I think. D:

I have to agree with you.
Sometimes I am can tell when my voice is on it and wow.
but more than not, I think I sound terrible.
People like it though.
so I'm not complaining.

Flam·boy·ant

A good way to get used to your voice is to everyday record little bits of you reciting some piece like a speech or something and record you singing a song.
Then listen back to it and see how good/bad you've done it. You can focus on aspects where you feel you need to improve and work on them.

Do this everyday n in no time you'll be able to sound amazing!
All I have to record my voice to see how it sounds is my cellphone lol. So whenever I'm in my car I sing and record it. I hated my singing voice up until I learned to resonate and have better breath support. Nowadays I'm actually probably a bit over confident about it. I also learned how to get good break up (sort of like Rise Against/30 Seconds To Mars - From Yesterday) and I'm quite proud of that. So I like my singing voice a lot now.

I hate my speaking voice when I hear it, though. Especially when I get those weird phone calls where you can hear your own voice. I cringe lol. It sounds SO different than how I think I sound. A lot weaker.

EDIT: just to avoid confusion, my voice in my profile song is from about 4-5 months ago. I hated it so much lol. I still do, I pretty much scrapped that recording.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
All I have to record my voice to see how it sounds is my cellphone lol. So whenever I'm in my car I sing and record it. I hated my singing voice up until I learned to resonate and have better breath support. Nowadays I'm actually probably a bit over confident about it. I also learned how to get good break up (sort of like Rise Against/30 Seconds To Mars - From Yesterday) and I'm quite proud of that. So I like my singing voice a lot now.

I hate my speaking voice when I hear it, though. Especially when I get those weird phone calls where you can hear your own voice. I cringe lol. It sounds SO different than how I think I sound. A lot weaker.

Dude, i soo always wanted to love to do that!! I've always wanted to be able to sing like Tim McIllrath with all his intensity!!

Though lately my main singing influences are Maynard Keenan from Tool and Dustin Kensure from Thrice.
I can sing Tool stuff pretty well (though i can't hit some of the high bits).

But i need to work on developing my own sound n style!!
Quote by af_the_fragile
Dude, i soo always wanted to love to do that!! I've always wanted to be able to sing like Tim McIllrath with all his intensity!!

Though lately my main singing influences are Maynard Keenan from Tool and Dustin Kensure from Thrice.
I can sing Tool stuff pretty well (though i can't hit some of the high bits).

But i need to work on developing my own sound n style!!

It wasn't that hard for me to figure out, you just have to really resonate and push right.

And you already have your own sound, because no one has the same voice. Different facial structure, different voice.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jul 29, 2008,
Sometimes I sound okay-ish...I can hit notes...but I sound almost like a little kid. I wish I could sound older. Some days I can... I like to record myself to see how I really sound... I really don't like my voice at all...
Last edited by guitar_maiden at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by guitar_maiden
Sometimes I sound okay-ish...but I sound almost like a little kid. I wish I could sound older. Some days I can... I like to record myself to see how I really sound... I really don't like my voice at all...

Well, how old are you? Below 18-20? You may have to wait. Or, you're not resonating. Refer to the singing tips thread in the Musician Talk forum.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
It wasn't that hard for me to figure out, you just have to really resonate and push right.

And you already have your own sound, because no one has the same voice. Difference facial structure, different voice.

I can barely resonate anymore.
I think i need to relax more and get used to my voice more for that. And also i lack power n loudness in my voice but its mainly cuz i mostly practice in my bedroom n sing quite softly to not scare my family!
It just i haven't been liking the sound of my voice much lately so i end up getting too conscious n tense when i sing. And i can barely hit high notes... So need to really start working on that.

I feel i've got a pretty unique voice though. Gotta work on the techniques, proper my diction and develop my own style. Lately i've just been adopting Maynard, Dustin or Trent Reznor's style...
Quote by af_the_fragile
I can barely resonate anymore.
I think i need to relax more and get used to my voice more for that. And also i lack power n loudness in my voice but its mainly cuz i mostly practice in my bedroom n sing quite softly to not scare my family!
It just i haven't been liking the sound of my voice much lately so i end up getting too conscious n tense when i sing. And i can barely hit high notes... So need to really start working on that.

I feel i've got a pretty unique voice though. Gotta work on the techniques, proper my diction and develop my own style. Lately i've just been adopting Maynard, Dustin or Trent Reznor's style...

I'm not a big NIN fan but I have his song "Hurt" (his most popular song, of course lol), and his vocals are great in it. Most of his other stuff isn't quite melodic enough for my taste - at least from what I've heard.

And are you sure you just haven't forgotten how to resonate? I keep going back to that but it seems like a lot of singers are lacking it. Do you know the 'sing above the pencil' routine? You hold the pencil closely in front of your face, level with your top lip, and you visualize/imagine singing ABOVE it. I just use my hand, though. It really helps.
We're only strays.
i think mine is alright...
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
I like my singing voice, and I have no problem with my speaking voice, but I can't scream worth piss.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
I can't scream worth piss.

Is that a bad thing?

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Mr. Rittard
Is that a bad thing?

Why so anti-scream?
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-