Page 1 of 2
So who out here plays mathcore ish stuff? what bands and how do you have your set up for that. I play fall of troy and everytime i die etc. as well as my own stuff. I play a Epiphone LP-100 for it tuned dropped D flat With a line 6 spider 3 HD75 half stack. as well as using a digitech BP 200 pedal.
yea i used be in love with that kind of ****. im into punk alot now but i used to love august burns red
everytime i die is tha ****
underoath
those bands us gibsons with high output pickups, esps and ibanez
for a really long time ive wanted a gibson lp classic with a seymour duncan JB in the bridge and a marshall stack, maybe a jcm 800 or somthing

but yea mathcore and those bands with the sick breakdowns and **** is awesome
keith from every time i die has a sick voice
I looked mathcore up on youtube. It sounds EXACTLY like all the other "cores". I'm not a fan of any of them.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
oh august burns red ah theyre more metalcore. math core i mean like Everytime i die's old stuff and like dillinger escape plan. etc.
yeah i know breakcore is pretty awesome too. ever listened to like emmure or life ruiner. Btw. the cores dont all sound the same. lol what about Ska core lol that doesnt sound a bit like grindcore. I didnt think cattle decap and waking the cadaver sounded like the mighty mighty bosstones
Last edited by erikdelay at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by strat212
I looked mathcore up on youtube. It sounds EXACTLY like all the other "-cores". I'm not a fan of any of them.

I will respect your opinion, but will tell you to kindly get out of this thread and never view the Hardcore forums.

I myself am [re]learning music: reading it, time signatures, composing, beats, et cetera, et cetera. Somewhere in the midway point, but almost there. Really digging how complex the math genre is, though.

However, I've never played live, so I wouldn't know squat about the set up, but I would imagine it would be just normal?
pretty much normal. sometimes with more effects and tech stuff. some bands tend to have synth or tech mixed in too. but for the most part normal. its a confusing genre to learn but it sounds cool as **** when you play it or listen to it
I thought mathcore was stuff like Into The Moat...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Ok so I had to look this one up on Wikipedia "recognized for a high level of technical musicianship" does this really need to be subcategorized? That is like saying all metal bands are crap musicians unless they happen to fall under the genre Mathcore, the nerdiest sounding geek title of all. Lame.
Quote by Fryer Mike
Mathcore= Emo?

It's pretty much complicated screamo...

Which is just angry emo...

I guess adding "Math" to the genre title is a ****-load less pretentious than using the term "Progressive"...
alrite listen
a mathcore band is catogorized by fast unique riffs, changing up riffs,sudden change in time signatures, speed picking and other crazy sounds, harmonics, pinches, trills etc. its not simple music or 'screamo' or 'hardcore' its complicated and insane, hence the 'math'core title
i think the band that can be classified as mathcore most is abr.
listen to the song 'composure' by them
its crazy and u will see what im talking about
I get that they change key sigs and tempo etc. but who really wants to be associated with Maths? Unless of course they happen to be interested in Pythagorean tuning, in which case they probably should have Math in front of their sub-genre...
Or the same crap riffs that have chugging drop c open strings
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I was thinking "mathcore" wtf is that. Some sort of after school special thing. Math metal sounds like breaking down the genres has gone a little to far. But hey what ever floats yer boat.
Quote by guitarnoize
Ok so I had to look this one up on Wikipedia "recognized for a high level of technical musicianship" does this really need to be subcategorized? That is like saying all metal bands are crap musicians unless they happen to fall under the genre Mathcore, the nerdiest sounding geek title of all. Lame.

no , you are misunderstanding it. the guitarists in mathcore are recognised for a high level of technical musicianship yes - but thats a byproduct of the genre. mathcore refers to the complicated use of time signature changes and combinations mixed with multiple tempo changes.

Bands like -

DEP
Ion Dissonance
Architects
SiKth
The Safety Fire
FellSilent

etc...
Last edited by ch715dallat at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by Panda Man
alrite listen
a mathcore band is catogorized by fast unique riffs, changing up riffs,sudden change in time signatures, speed picking and other crazy sounds, harmonics, pinches, trills etc. its not simple music or 'screamo' or 'hardcore' its complicated and insane, hence the 'math'core title
i think the band that can be classified as mathcore most is abr.
listen to the song 'composure' by them
its crazy and u will see what im talking about

Sounds pretty crazy! (sarcasm)
You know what? A style of playing one single instrument of a band does not need a sub-catagory. I could play like that to rap music. Wouldn't make it Mathcore.

It's Emo, to be truthful.
Quote by strat212
I looked mathcore up on youtube. It sounds EXACTLY like all the other "cores". I'm not a fan of any of them.

+1
Quote by Fryer Mike
Sounds pretty crazy! (sarcasm)
You know what? A style of playing one single instrument of a band does not need a sub-catagory. I could play like that to rap music. Wouldn't make it Mathcore.

It's Emo, to be truthful.

alrite asshole mike.
im not defending mathcore or whatever the **** u want to call it.
i dont really care what anyone wants to call it (i dont even really like that kind of music)
im just saying why and how 'mathcore' got its name
who the hell are u to say what kind of music deserves sub-category?
and u classifying it as 'emo' shows that u have no knowledge at all of this kind of music.
u need to get off this thread
I don't need to do ANYTHING you tell me to do. And calling me an asshole it not a very nice thing to do. Clearly, you are defending this genre of music. You're doing it right now.

Calm down man, I think it's very emotional music.
Not a fan, but to be honest, Protest the Hero (are they mathcore?) are quite talented. Not something I'd listen to, but yeesh, that's crazy.

I dunno, but I heard that the Holly Springs Disaster (if they're mathcore) use Orange Amps. That's all I can say. Not sure if that's that, but then again, not my style, I heard it from a friend.
u are supposed to put ur emotion into music
of course these guys are gonna come across as emotional because they are all screaming
they arent part of the 'emo' genre becuase they dont sing and bitch about how some girl left them and how they wont ever find love
if u did some research or ever listened to the music then mayb u would know that they are not 'emo' and would fall under the category of 'mathcore'
just saying dude
I thought Mathcore was like Tool or Meshuggah (spelling?).

Guess I thought wrong... :-/

EDIT:
This sounds like how I would describe progressive.

I guess that's what I was thinking of.

And to answer the original, I can't say I really like what I've heard from bands like Dillenger Escape or Protest the Hero. I haven't heard much though, so I may give them another listen.
Saint Louis Blues
Last edited by The Picker at Jul 29, 2008,
Emotional...
I didn't mean Emo as in the stupid style or w/e.
Emotional. It is a quite emotional genre of music (however ridiculous the genre may be).
I don't think it really need a seperate genre altogether however, if you're saying that it's just complex and "insane" guitar riffs.
Quote by roshjosh
Steve Vai is mathcore.

i see what ur gettin at, but vai would not be classified as mathcore i dont think
hes not screaming or 'chugging' or putting breakdowns in his songs (thats where the 'core' part comes in)
just because his guitar style is similar to mathcore styles wouldnt make him mathcore
i think hes considered like virtuoso or somthing. w/e

btw i see what ur saying fryer mike
sorry for dicking out on u
Wtf is up with all the "Core" music. Can't they just have like MetalCore and be done with it?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Sounds to me like some dbag metalheads from Harvard just wanted to be a little different.

(just so I don't get flamed...I'm not calling ALL metalheads dbags...just the certain hypothetical Harvard dbags)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

idc about what all you think of mathcore, i just wanna punch the douchnozzle that said abr is metalcore, im so sick of people saying that, ive been a hardcore abr fan since their first demo
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
I kind of hate mathcore.
But it has something to do with mathematical equations to get that "math" sound
(Not sure if its "mathematical" in the intervals or what)

But it just feels so wrong.
Odd time, dimished minor augmented
lol

Listen to
The Dillianger Escape Plan
I don't really like their math songs

The Number twelve looks like you
They're crazy and actually are talented.
The only math core I approve of
Page 1 of 2