im the guitarist, and we are a bassist and a drummer.

The bassist thinks he is doing metal (he even composed a song called we are metal) but he plays more pop rock.

for example in the song we are metal, i thought the progression was in power chords, but it is in major chords.

He wants the guitar to be clean, but i want it with a ton of distortion.

Plus he has no creativity, if the song doesnt have a G major it has a D major, theres at least 1 of those 2 chords in every song.

But i want to do more punk/pop-punk stuff, but with a cool solo (which is in the only thing weve agreed)

The drummer is reallly bad, so he guides him to a choppy pop rock.

HELP ME PEOPLLE!
Right, so you are a guitarist, and are a bassist and a drummer?

Sit the bassist down and lay it out quite flatly that he has no clue what metal is, and fails at life.

Quit your band and make a new one, I shouldn't think it would be hard at all to find run of the mill musicians willing to play generic punk/pop-punk stuff, with, as you said, 'a cool solo'.
he wants clean guitar and metal at the same time?

just kill them both and see if that's 'metal' enough for him.
Uh, a lot of what you typed doesn't make any sense, and besides just because he uses G and D major chords in his songs doesn't mean he isn't creative. Yeah just quit your band if you want to play pop-punk, there are lots of people who will play that.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
What's wrong with G major and D major? You're essentially claiming that he is uncreative because of the key that he composes songs in.
Most musicians tend to write around the same key, because that indicates the vocalist's singing range.

Your bassist wrote a pop/rock song called 'We Are Metal'? That's nothing, legendary glam rocker Mark Bolan once wrote a song called 'Metal Guru.'

This genre thing is actualy the death of many bands before they even manage to get off the ground. If more people went into putting a band together with an open mind and the plan of just seeing what comes out when you get the band together, then building upon that, rather than thinking, 'I'm gonna be the next god of housebrick core metal!' or whatever the latest trend is, then you'd get more bands being perfectly happy with what they are achieving, which in turn will encourage them to achieve more.
Quote by AA00P
Right, so you are a guitarist, and are a bassist and a drummer?

Sit the bassist down and lay it out quite flatly that he has no clue what metal is, and fails at life.

Quit your band and make a new one, I shouldn't think it would be hard at all to find run of the mill musicians willing to play generic punk/pop-punk stuff, with, as you said, 'a cool solo'.

In my town thats close to impossible. If he comes from a small town like me, or a town where people who listen to rock music are the minority like mine, then its a lot harder to find musicians. I still havent found anybody other than a bassist and another guitarist to jam with.

I'd talk to the bassist though, and tell him thats not metal, and then proceed to play old metallica, megadeth, slayer, black sabbath, and dio. That should tell him what metal is.

The drummer, if he sucks then I dunno guess you just got to find one that can play is all I can think of, that is unless you can play drums too and you could show him how to drum.
Why is a bass player having opinions in the first place, he doesn't matter. There is nothing more annoying then a bass player who thinks they're entitled to an opinion (except maybe a drummer that cant shut up when the actual musicians are talking). Tell him to go **** himself, buy a ****ty bass and do it yourself, or hire me, I'll work cheap and don't give a crap about musical direction.
Quote by lumpy890
Why is a bass player having opinions in the first place, he doesn't matter. There is nothing more annoying then a bass player who thinks they're entitled to an opinion (except maybe a drummer that cant shut up when the actual musicians are talking). Tell him to go **** himself, buy a ****ty bass and do it yourself, or hire me, I'll work cheap and don't give a crap about musical direction.

How cute.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by lumpy890

Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
That was like 99% joking, I'm probably more of a bass player then a guitarist, but I do stand by the general principle. Bass players should not be running the music, in most genres anyways. Tell the bass player that you provide the melody, so let you deal with it, he should just do his job and provide the harmonic backbone.

I'm not saying don't take his ideas into account, I'm just saying if you flat out disagree, tell him.

P.S. You might be able to balance your clean and distorted problem, check out a band called "Opeth" or "Katatonia"
Alright. I'm just gonna lay it out, even though it may sound insulting. If they want to play metal and you want Pop-punk or whatever, you should probably find some other musicians to play with - maybe it's just me and that genre, but i'd say that someone who likes metal and someone who likes pop-punk in one band..

Well.. I believe the pop-punk thing will hold back the bass player from unfolding himself, in the way he wants, since it is often very.. Monotone if you ask me.

And on the other hand, it will keep you from doing what you want how you want it.
On the other hand - mixing genres can create miracles..

Oh.. Listen to Manowar! Blink and Greenday will be blown out your arse ^^ Teehee.

Hil
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Most musicians tend to write around the same key, because that indicates the vocalist's singing range.

Your bassist wrote a pop/rock song called 'We Are Metal'? That's nothing, legendary glam rocker Mark Bolan once wrote a song called 'Metal Guru.'

This genre thing is actualy the death of many bands before they even manage to get off the ground. If more people went into putting a band together with an open mind and the plan of just seeing what comes out when you get the band together, then building upon that, rather than thinking, 'I'm gonna be the next god of housebrick core metal!' or whatever the latest trend is, then you'd get more bands being perfectly happy with what they are achieving, which in turn will encourage them to achieve more.

+ Infinity and 7

Listen man, To be a serious gigger in a band that wants to go some where, all musicians in the band must have a simaliar musical perception. Whether it be rock or pop or whatever, if you REALLY want to trancend all that, Make your own genre. My band is Psychadelic Garage Metal. We really don't even know what that means TBH, but its the principle that if you want to GO somewhere, don't tether yourself to whats already outthere, break the box and fight the mold.
Quote by actaderock

Plus he has no creativity, if the song doesnt have a G major it has a D major, theres at least 1 of those 2 chords in every song.

HELP ME PEOPLLE!

**cough** Most bands **cough**

just different notes though

example

Metallica playing in E
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by lumpy890

I'm probably the third (maybe fourth) person to comment on your little statement anyway. But The bassist is your rythm, my songs seem remarkably empty to me when I'm not messing around with my friends. (My metronome is my only solace)
Favorite Songs:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Kryptonite
One
Stairway to Heaven
Quote by Highwaytohell
+ Infinity and 7

Listen man, To be a serious gigger in a band that wants to go some where, all musicians in the band must have a simaliar musical perception. Whether it be rock or pop or whatever, if you REALLY want to trancend all that, Make your own genre. My band is Psychadelic Garage Metal. We really don't even know what that means TBH, but its the principle that if you want to GO somewhere, don't tether yourself to whats already outthere, break the box and fight the mold.

There ya go. I have no idea what genre our band is, and we're quite happy with that. I don't think we sound like much of any genre. And we don't necessarily agree on music. Our rhythm guitarist and drummer like grunge, and me and the lead/singer like classic metal and standard rock, but we don't play any of those. As long as you all like the music you're playing, you'll be okay. And just so you know, I'm the bassist and I write quite a bit of the music. And I have some solos and stuff.

As for your bandmates sucking, either find new ones (which is a lot harder than it sounds) or teach them to play better. And simplify their parts or something...
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa