Gibson SG
Alvarez 6 string acoustic
Alvarez 12 string acoustic/electric
B.C. Rich Warlock
SQUIER
Ibanez 4 string bass

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace
-Jimi Hendrix R.I.P
now adays when alice in chains plays with their new singer, jerry cantrell does most of the talking. as long as your singer doesn't want to, why not.
My band takes turns fronting. It'll usually start with my drummer introducing the song, then my bassist saying funny about it, and then i'll add on.

Drummer: Next song is "Run Time!"
Crowd: Yay!
Bassist: Its dedicated to Trogdor! (My cat I named Trogdor)
Crowd: hahaha
Me: No the kitty, not the dragon.
Slect members of the crowd: hahaha

Bad example but still.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
If by fronting you mean talking to the crowd between songs then yes, of course you can, and I've seen many who do just that, but there's one thing that's always struck me about someone else doing all the talking. (and this is just my observation and opinion here)
From the audience's point of view, when an audience is used to singers in bands being the person who talks to them, and suddenly the singer in this particular band that they are watching is refusing to talk to them and leaving all the talking to the guitarist or bassist or whoever, it tends to make the singer look a bit aloof.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 30, 2008,
I'd have to agree with Slacker on this one. Where someone who's not the singer does all the interaction with the crowd, it looks a bit strange - people start to ask 'why isn't the singer talking?' rather than 'why's the guitarist talking?'

People may start to think the singer's a bit shy, or arrogant, or not really involved in the band - none of which are good things.

Of course, other members of the band should do stuff. But the singer is *inevitably* the focal point for the band and the person that the crowd will be watching for a lot of the performance. They are pretty much the frontman by default, and you'll have to be pretty interesting to make up for the fact that the audience will be a bit confused.

And while people like Yngwie and John Entwistle (in his solo band) might front without doing lead vocals, they're also utterly amazing technical musicians and the person who the entire band is focused around. I doubt that's you, and that's not a bad thing, but people won't be going to listen to you, they'll be going to listen to the band, and the singer is the voice of the band.
Yeah, imagine if you were talking to someone who, even though you know they can talk perfectly well, and instead of using their mouth to talk to you, (like most people do), they used their hands instead.
You'd think, 'W.T.F. ????'

And this is kinda what happens to an audience when the singer shuts up between songs and someone else does all the talking instead.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 31, 2008,
As long as your pretty good then theres nothing wrong with it, look at The Who. I'd call Pete the frontman of that band.

But yeah, my friends band the guitarist and the singer kind of both front it. They have some hilarious banter and such between songs. Its still important that the singer talks though and trys to get the crowd moving though. Otherwise, you need a new one.
Quote by the glue man
Before Iron Maiden got Bruce Dickinson to sing, the bassist was sort of the frontman. He's still almost the center of attention at the shows.

No, before Iron Maiden drafted in Bruce Dickinson (or Bruce Bruce as he was known then) from fellow N.W.O.B.H.M. band 'Samson,' Iron Maiden had another singer and frontman called Paul Di'Anno who was actualy the vocalist for them on their first album.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 1, 2008,
As far as "aloofness" is concerned, it really depends. Knowing how hard it can be to sing, how much effort is required and all that, I'm a bit sympathetic if the singer has someone else do the talking in between songs while he grabs a drink or just rests his voice for a moment.

Personally, however, I don't go to shows to listen to someone talk. I go to enjoy the performance. You can never really go wrong with keeping the conversation to a minimum.