how i can get a good bass tone for metal? ie. strings amp settings so forth and so on. i got an esp B-55 with a peavey max 158 amp any suggestions are much appreciated.
Brand new strings are always good, preferrably Stainless Steel ones (Elixirs are good too, though). For settings, if you play with your fingers, boost the mids a little higher (about 7/10) and leave the bass relatively flat. Add treble to taste. It should give you a gritty metal tone that cuts through a distorted mass of guitars pretty well. If you play with a pick, do the same thing but with a little less treble and high mids.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Brand new strings are always good, preferrably Stainless Steel ones (Elixirs are good too, though). For settings, if you play with your fingers, boost the mids a little higher (about 7/10) and leave the bass relatively flat. Add treble to taste. It should give you a gritty metal tone that cuts through a distorted mass of guitars pretty well. If you play with a pick, do the same thing but with a little less treble and high mids.
i do pretty much the exact opposite. i cut my mids way out and boost my bass and treble 2 the max. then i play with a pick close to the bridge and add distortion if i want it. i have never tried Your Plague's method, i would try them both and see what works for you.
Quote by bass7player21
i do pretty much the exact opposite. i cut my mids way out and boost my bass and treble 2 the max. then i play with a pick close to the bridge and add distortion if i want it. i have never tried Your Plague's method, i would try them both and see what works for you.

Your method sounds great for standalone playing, and playing with other music. Try using those settings in a band situation; you won't be able to hear yourself. Mids are the key to cutting through guitar distortion, and especially for finger-style players. You only have to add just enough to where it doesn't sound "honky," but you can finally hear yourself. Scooping your mids is more of a classic metal tone, IMO.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Boot the high/mids and the bass. Add a litte gain.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Play through a Trace-elliot amp with a Warwick

Really though, I second boosting the mids.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
depends what kind of metal tone you want,
boosting the mids works most of the time

edit: I'm confused with a 15"peavey
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by salemboicot
don't alot of metal players use g.k amps as well?

Metal bassists are usually found with Ampeg, Mesa, GK, and Peavey. That's at least what I've seen from experience. Keep in mind, any amp can be used if you can EQ it right. Now basses are another story.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

depends what sort of metal tone youre after, if you want cliff burton, rex brown, cut through the mix sort of tone, boost the mids and trebles.
but if you want really bassy like limp bizkit, slipkknot tone, cut the mids and boost the lows.
iits personal taste and band situation really.
Yeah, there really is not one "Metal Tone" that is envelopes all metal. You would need to ask for a specific tone (my favorite is Lamb of God). Or a generalization such as trash, or melodic etc.
There is no real 'metal tone', though most of what has been suggested will work fine.

A classic counter example to all the normal style is Steve Harris, who plays a P bass with flatwound strings, yet cuts though easily.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Turn the Knob on the guitar itself to full treble, if you have more than One pickup, then maybe switch to the bridge? turn down the bass at the amp EQ till it's not too muddy - But you still want it to thunder!

That's what i'd probably do, i think. The thing is, I don't think there is such a thing as a "metal" bass tone, it's really up to you - you could go for all-bass and next to no middle or treble if you wanted, you could go for all treble and thrash out motorhead-style chords.
umm .... just use whatever bass setting you like ... your never going to stand out if you get a "metal sound" if you do what is expected of you you probably wont get noticed.

i just find a tone that sounds good to you. and the key to a metal sound really is how it blends with the other guitarists. you can try what you usually do by yourself and if you have a big enough amp you might not have to make any adjustments at all. but sometimes it might sound too honky or just too messy with other players so adjustments are useually nisisarry.

Geddy lee,chancelor,Fieldy,Flee they did not get noticed by makeing thier sound "the usual" they experimented until they found something that was great
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Just buy a Sansamp, mid scoop won't be too much a problem as your job as a metal bassist (well, most new metal) is just to provide huge, thundering lows. Easy!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Just buy a Sansamp, mid scoop won't be too much a problem as your job as a metal bassist (well, most new metal) is just to provide huge, thundering lows. Easy!

Not always. In Black Metal, the bass is often very trebly. The stereotypical modern metal tone has a lot fo cutting power.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
In black metal you can barely hear the bass anyway! But yeah it really depends what you're going for. Either way I'd recommend a Sansamp, they're really popular amongst metal and bassists who play heavier stuff.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
thanks for all the help. With all your advice and my own personal taste ive come up with a tone that i really like. i set the laows flat boosted the mids to around 7 and cranked the highs all the way up. thanks again
I used to be pretty big into black metal haha. No matter what style of metal, definitely boost mids. Then depending on the sub genre, thats how you decide whether to boost more bass or more treble.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Boost lower bass frequencies, boost mids gradually, and shut down higher frequency highs.
A B.C. Rich Bronze series, And a Behringer.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I used to be pretty big into black metal haha. No matter what style of metal, definitely boost mids. Then depending on the sub genre, thats how you decide whether to boost more bass or more treble.

This. For example, if your doing power meta, folk metal, or thrash I like to boost bass, but for black or death metal I like to boost treble.
Quote by JobyByTheNight
A B.C. Rich Bronze series, And a Behringer.

...because it's idiots like you that make the world go round.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by bass_ownage
ive got my settngs at low:10 mid:8 hgh:4
(fingered)

Thank god the HGH isn't turned up to 10, you'd be huge.

TS, pretty much just remember that mids are what get you heard in a band situation. Bass and Treble are pretty much a matter of taste.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by ChemicalFire
...because it's idiots like you that make the world go round.

Hey fuck you, it was a joke. Don't go insulting my knowledge, just because you don't have a sense of humor.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Personally, I play with a flat EQ. My bass has a lot of bass and mids anyway, and still has plenty of clarity.

What you need to adjust depends on taste. If you want a smooth thump, cut some treble. If you want a biting tone, cut a little bass. If you want to just sit in the back and fill out the sound, a small mid cut will help maintain band clarity.

Read thefitz's blog on EQing, and go from there.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1