Page 1 of 2
Ok, lets start off by saying that I've had acne problems since I was 12. Secondly, nothing ever worked for me as a kid, so I lived through High and Middle school (and college) with acne on my face.

About 6 months ago, I finally stopped breaking out, but I had horrible acne scars on my face, back, and chest. I went to my dermatologist, and, after many unsuccessful treatments, he told me about Accutane (Isotreoin I think it's called generally).

Essentially, it's supposed to be a cure for acne, and makes it stop completely over time, but it has five pages of side effects, including depression and suicide.

I was desperate, so I had him prescribe it for me (Note: Because of all the side effects, it took me like 2 weeks to actually get the prescription.)

Anyways, I have been getting Migraines every week for the past 4 weeks, and I asked my dermatologist about it. He said it may actually be one of the side effects, Pseudo Tumor Fibrosis, which basically increases the cranial pressure within your skull. It's possible to die from it, so I just had some test done.

That brings me to the point of this thread. Tomorrow, I'm going to have to receive a Spinal Tap in order to relieve possible cranial pressure. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm as scared as I've ever been in my entire life, and that's no joke. I'm going to be given Morphine into the crook of my elbow, and they're going to stick that needle into me. Now, I don't really fear needles. Oh no.

What I'm scared about is that my body for some reason has a resistance to Morphine, or any other drug that attempts to numb you, put you to sleep, ect. It just doesn't work as effectively as it does on other people. In other words, the amount of Morphine they're going to give me, which they won't increase for fear of killing me, even if I say it's not working, is only going to have the pain, or even less than that.

Has anyone ever had this procedure before? I'm asking for experience because I imagine you would know what kind of pain you felt, if any.

UPDATE:

Ok, I was probably being a wussy about it, at least for the first few seconds. However, like seemingly most things in my life, there's always a catch. First off, the Morphine didn't do anything. Second, the local anesthetic didn't do anything.

Third, after 20 years of experience, the doctor doing the procedure made a mistake.

By mistake, I mean he sneezed and snapped off the needle in my back.

He snapped it off at the base of the syringe.

He snapped the Fucking Needle Off.

So I had to be put in surgery, where they cut open my back to remove the needle, and clear up some of the cerebrospinal fluid that had leaked out of the needle when it broke. I all took about 3 hours. and now I'm home with a prescription of Vicodin and 39 stitches in my back.

I'm still waiting to see if the Vicodin is going to do anything, of which it hasn't yet since I took it an hour ago, but I'll stay awake a little longer just in case.

Thanks for the support, guys.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Last edited by yurfinlfntsy at Jul 30, 2008,
Sorry dude, the Pit'll be here for you. (well me at least, anyway) Hope you make it through ok.

Edit: I read most of what you wrote. (unlike SOME people )
That sucks...

That's terrible that they would even sell a drug that can cause depression, suicide, and pseudo tumor fibrosis.

Best wishes mate, and here's hoping for a fast recovery after the procedure.

(P.S. You may want to change the thread title, if possible.)
am i the only one who saw the thread title and thought this was about the film?
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Inb4 "it goes to 11"
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
You'll be fine man!
You will be in my prayers.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
i'm not reading the wall of text but this obviously has nothing to do with the awesome movie/band

shame on you
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by thedudemeister

No, that's why I asked if it was possible to change the title, for this is a very serious thread, and I'd hate to have people coming in saying "ololol that's an awesome movie" or "These go to 11"

or stuff like that.
I have never had the procedure personally... but I do know that if the medication wasn't working as well for you, the procedure will be quite painful.
Holy crap dude, I'm scarred for you. Seriously, I really hope you get through everything. I know whenever I get any morphine they practically have to wake me up when they're done, even if it's at the dentists. I mean like it knocks me the **** out. Hopefully it'll do the same for you man!

My suggestion though... Once you get done with the spinal tap, get off meds. I know scars suck, but I don't think anything with five pages of side effects, let alone one being suicide, is worth it.
no, i thought this was about the movie. but that sucks, hope you make it through alright dude.
Quote by thedudemeister

Nope...

But I wish you luck man, and hope you make it out fine and better than before, jsut post again if your fine after it
Well the procedure I'm not familiar with but I do understand your resistance to pain medication. Morphine gets me all doped up...but other simpler stuff like codein....doesnt really work when I need it. Plus you can anesthise me(the stuff that puts you to sleep I cant spell it) or my dad...we get violent...and VERY awake. Sucks. Anyways good luck man. Also...screw medication...try camphor oil 3 months application on the surface gets rid of most scars. And wash your face/body with witch hazel...used to be you couldnt see my face....now you can ...and its almost not scary...sorta.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

i have a natural chemical in me that makes me immune to the effects of morphine

i recomend attmpting to suck it up....if that fails .....lol
" i saw these 2 girls kiss and i i got all horny and stuff"
hope you'll be okay ya kinda fooled me though thought you were talking bout the band spinal tap
Watch out, your pain level might rise to 11.

Anyway, good luck.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Watch out, your pain level might rise to 11.

was that a joke about when that dude was talking about the volume nobs
My little brother had to have a spinal tap sans any pain medication when he was 3 and they wouldn't let my mom be in the room. If he could handle it I'm sure you can find a way to get through it. Man up chum, it'll be over pretty quickly.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Deliriumdrummer
Sorry dude, the Pit'll be here for you.

That's not very comforting for some reason. xD.
chances are theyre morphine isnt the **** you get off the streets, if you are a drug user in that way (im guessing so casue you said opiates dont work on you)
which means you have a higher tolerance, tell your doctor., they cannot do anything ,except give you more morphine. IMHO i dont like morphine, tis hangover in a pill man.
Quote by mitchellator
was that a joke about when that dude was talking about the volume nobs

dehhh of course it was
Quote by civildp1
My little brother had to have a spinal tap sans any pain medication when he was 3 and they wouldn't let my mom be in the room. If he could handle it I'm sure you can find a way to get through it. Man up chum, it'll be over pretty quickly.

Children are given Spinal Taps to relieve fevers which there cannot be found a source for, as it can lead to meningitis.

I guarantee you, he was at least on a local anesthetic.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
When i was in the hospital the first time they gave me morphine i started freaking out. It felt like i was getting poked by needles all over and i thought i was having some kind of reaction to it. I hated it. well pretty much my entire hospital experience sucked ass and everything was a daze but i hated all the painkiller drugs they gave me. tbh i really dont even think any of it helped but people tell me it wouldve been much worse without it.

Its an actual procedure right? so the doctors will know what there doing and youll be fine. Theyll probly give you more if you really need it anyway
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Quote by x/taluha
chances are theyre morphine isnt the **** you get off the streets, if you are a drug user in that way (im guessing so casue you said opiates dont work on you)
which means you have a higher tolerance, tell your doctor., they cannot do anything ,except give you more morphine. IMHO i dont like morphine, tis hangover in a pill man.

No, I've actually never done drugs, alcohol, or ever smoked in my life.

I'm simply resistant or immune to all the "downers" or "pain relievers" I've been given thusfar, including laughing gas and anesthesia.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Children are given Spinal Taps to relieve fevers which there cannot be found a source for, as it can lead to meningitis.

I guarantee you, he was at least on a local anesthetic.

that's possible, I just know what my mom told me. He had some crazy chicken pox complication where they got on his cerebellum.

Either way, I stand by my suggestion for you to man up.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
hey man...you'll be fine..

doctors do stuff like this all day. they've had plenty of practice, and can do it with their eyes closed. they are basically machanics.

keep us updated, and you'll be perfect in no time! =]
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
No, I've actually never done drugs, alcohol, or ever smoked in my life.

I'm simply resistant or immune to all the "downers" or "pain relievers" I've been given thusfar, including laughing gas and anesthesia.

then tell your doctor, that you feel like youre immune to downers and pain relievers, he'll up the dosage,
Good luck. I'll pray for ya dude.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
im sorry your acne got to the point of needing accutane. mine did as well, i know how much that stuff sucked. but i didnt have anything bad happen like you (except godawful dry skin, but yours is a bit worse). i hope it works out for you.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
Quote by x/taluha
then tell your doctor, that you feel like youre immune to downers and pain relievers, he'll up the dosage,

I'm immune to the EFFECTS, but the problem is I could still die from an overdose.

I'm already going to be given 60ccs of Morphine for the procedure, which I had to sign a waiver for, and I think they'll refuse to up the dose, because higher volumes could just blatantly stop my heart.
Quote by imicius
Do local anesthetics not work either?

No. My skin swells up, but I can still feel everything being done to me.

Which is the primary reason I haven't been to the dentist for a year.

Other than the fact that I couldn't afford it.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
No. My skin swells up, but I can still feel everything being done to me.

Which is the primary reason I haven't been to the dentist for a year.

Other than the fact that I couldn't afford it.

What about alcohol?
I had a lumbar puncture when I had meningitis.
I didn't have any pain killers. It hurt like ****, but seriously, man-up.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
that really blows man...I feel for you...I hope you have good luck and it all eventually blows by...and also, I dont want to make you more scared, but im guessing you have read the article you gave us...this is supposed to be the most uncomfortable and painful procedures out there....good luck bro...cant wait to see the thread about after this.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Nigel: The sustain, listen to it.
Marty: I don't hear anything.
Nigel: [pause] Well you would though, if it were playing.

Aw this isn't a spinal tap movie thread?
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Update:

Ok, I was probably being a wussy about it, at least for the first few seconds. However, like seemingly most things in my life, there's always a catch. First off, the Morphine didn't do anything. Second, the local anesthetic didn't do anything.

Third, after 20 years of experience, the doctor doing the procedure made a mistake.

By mistake, I mean he sneezed and snapped off the needle in my back.

He snapped it off at the base of the syringe.

He snapped the Fucking Needle Off.

So I had to be put in surgery, where they cut open my back to remove the needle, and clear up some of the cerebrospinal fluid that had leaked out of the needle when it broke. I all took about 3 hours. and now I'm home with a prescription of Vicodin and 39 stitches in my back.

I'm still waiting to see if the Vicodin is going to do anything, of which it hasn't yet sinc eI took it an hour ago, but I'll stay awake a little longer just in case.

Thanks for the support, guys.
Page 1 of 2