The HRD has a lot more clean headroom in my experience.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Do you think it would be better to get then? Cause I'm looking at them, and they seem to be around the same price. Also, it says the HRD comes in Brown with Oxblood. Any idea what that looks like?
Marshall type of amp would be better suited for your styles than either.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Do you think it would be better to get then? Cause I'm looking at them, and they seem to be around the same price. Also, it says the HRD comes in Brown with Oxblood. Any idea what that looks like?

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=2231000500 This covering
with
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=2161400400 this grille cloth
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I wouldn't get either amps for what you want to play. If you played clean all the time, I would recommend it.

Uh, so what would you think I should get then? I don't really want to go above $800 if possible.

Are there even any good Marshalls in that price range?

EDIT: They all seem to be $1000+ and I'm not keen on that, seeing as I just dropped a grand on a Strat.
I will pretty much suggest a Marshall clone to just about everyone. But save up a bit more and get a Ceriatone 18 watt TMB clone. It should fit your budget but you will need speakers which will put it over. They sound like little plexis (which are perfect for the styles you listed), are very mod-able and are quiet enough that you can play a gig without having to use an attenuator.

Or hell, order the parts from them and build your own for much cheaper (it will be a better amp than the Marshall version) if you're up to it.

Few amps are as dynamic as a plexi which can go from clean, to blues, to Hendrix, to Zeppelin to EVH all by turning your guitar's volume knob.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 30, 2008,
Can you provide me with a link to these Ceriatone amps?

I was also considering a Traynor YCV50 Blue, and that's still an option, I do believe. I really wanted those nice Fender cleans, though. Bah, I'll go check 'em out tomorrow or Thursday.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Uh, so what would you think I should get then? I don't really want to go above $800 if possible.

Are there even any good Marshalls in that price range?

EDIT: They all seem to be $1000+ and I'm not keen on that, seeing as I just dropped a grand on a Strat.

have you thought about looking used? there's also that new blackheart that i hear is really good. unless you need more than (i think) 15 watts.
Quote by ortrigger
have you thought about looking used? there's also that new blackheart that i hear is really good. unless you need more than (i think) 15 watts.

Oh, trust me I looked into those, but apparently Long & McQuade AND Steve's Music can't get these in Canada. That's what the email response was. I was sad, or I would've definitely got it.
ah well, the Traynor would be a good one to look into. I've also heard great things about Carvin amps so maybe look into those too.
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSTMB/BSTMBKitsCombo.htm

There is the amp I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFvhHbSRkf0

The Ceriatone is better than the Marshall and cost less (though they're made in Malaysia, so shipping on these can be a bitch, but a Marshall 18 watt for less than $1000 is a killer deal)

Not a great amount of headroom.

If you want great cleans, the Marshall JTM45 has the best cleans I've heard on any amp (imo). Ceriatone also makes a clone of that, which is similar in price. It will not do classic metal though, but has enough gain for Zeppelin types of tones.
$550 canad for a fully built amplifier with tubes included but it is just the chassis (ie. no head cabinet). The head cabinet is not necessary to play one but if you are gigging or moving the amp around, it'd probably be best to have one. I'd suggest a Mojo combo cabinet though and sticking a Weber or Scumback greenback clone in it. But by then you're probably a few hundred over your budget (at least $1000). But its definitely a good deal for a professional level amplifier which far outclasses the Marshall handwired one which cost over twice as much.
Just make sure impedance matches and the cabinet can handle the wattage. It should work, will it sound its best? probably not but you could definitely upgrade to a new cabinet later. The 1974 traditionally ran on a single 1x12 Greenback, and you could get an avatar 1x12 cab for $200 (plus shipping).

But yeah, its a great price for the amplifier. Although what eventually kills on these things is the shipping. It sounds sketchy at first, the amps are hand built by a guy in Malaysia, but the company gets great reviews from everyone who has dealt with them. still, as you can imagine, the shipping from that location can be a real bitch (over $100 easily). If I were you, I'd email the owner of Ceriatone. He gets really good reviews from his customers, and is a class act (actually boutique builders in general are just awesome guys with great customer service). He also does any modifications you want (master volumes, gain stage cascading*, etc).

*if you don't like the amount of gain on tap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4VzrEbm-o

But as I said, the 18 watter is a rock amp and will not get you even close to the headroom of a fender. If you want cleans, I'd suggest a JTM45 (a 30 watter). Regardless, if you're interested in their stuff, check out the rest of the stuff on their site, they make Marshalls, Fenders, Trainwreck clones as well as their own circuits.
Probably close to $150. There is a shipment table on their site.

but should still fit in your budget.

I can't comment on ceriatone amps first hand, but there are tons of videos on youtube, they SOUND terrific, and from a guy who has built his own amp, by looking at pictures of his amps gutshots (interiors), his amps are built flawlessly. (I'm a big nerd who is into that sort of stuff, haha).