I was playing a peavey windsor that I'm thinking of buying today, and its really the first tube amp that i've taken a good look at- I lost track of time tweaking it for more than 2 hours-, any way I noticed a problem. With the preamp at 7 ish, I could only play at like 1 or 2 master volume. Going up to 3 wasnt really louder, but it made a terrible screeching sound when it was silent. But when I played a note it went away. Is this feedback? Do all tubes do this? How do I get rid of it?
the combination of you being close to the amp and the amp's volume/gain probly caused the feedback. thats how all amps are
Yes, this is what the world at large generally refers to as "feedback". It's inherent in any amplifier with the gain high enough, but due to the particularly complex harmonics generated by tube amps, the onset of said "feedback" is relatively early. It's very easy to overcome, all you need to do is either mute the strings when not playing, or invest in noise reduction of some variety. One thing to note is that feedback in and of itself is not a bad thing: first off it serves as a great indicator of the harmonic content associated with the distortion of any particular amplifier, and you can make some really frickin' cool sounds with it given the right circumstances.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Yes, this is what the world at large generally refers to as "feedback". It's inherent in any amplifier with the gain high enough, but due to the particularly complex harmonics generated by tube amps, the onset of said "feedback" is relatively early. It's very easy to overcome, all you need to do is either mute the strings when not playing, or invest in noise reduction of some variety. One thing to note is that feedback in and of itself is not a bad thing: first off it serves as a great indicator of the harmonic content associated with the distortion of any particular amplifier, and you can make some really frickin' cool sounds with it given the right circumstances.

I don't think anyone listening to anyone play would say a highpitched screech isn't a bad thing, so i'll need some noise reduction, cause it was feedbacking when my guitar volume was off. Is this like a noise gate, or a power cleaner?
Thanks
WHOA!!! Guitar volume off = no feedback. So obviously there is another problem.
Quote by Kendall
WHOA!!! Guitar volume off = no feedback. So obviously there is another problem.

So it was just the amp, and not all tubes do this?
We can't necessarily be certain that it was the amp as there are definitely other factors involved (AC power, light bulbs, the cable, etc.), but I think accusing the amp is an accurate assumption.