OK so for my first build I built a Smokey Amp clone. It was originally going to be a Ruby but I changed my mind and kept it simple (1 IC and 2 caps ). It is a reasonably loud amp for 1/2 watt. It clips when at full guitar volume but cleans up when rolled back. On my bridge p/u it is a trebly OD and on the neck its almost a fuzz. This build has officially launched my addiction to electronics. It feels great to play on something you built with your own hands.

I housed it in a peanut can

Gut Shot

I burned myself once
I love the peanut can idea :P
Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster
Some random Yamaha acoustic
VOX amPlug AC30
Awesome, you got soundclips? I can't check at the moment because UG s denying me access to profiles
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
This is just orgasmic n_n it would be HELPFULL for people like me that dont have much space (specially when you can practice at work xD, carrying my amp around everywhere gets annoying >.< can you hook me up with some schems so i can see its beauty? and also you can later on tells use how long is the bettery life which i think should last fer quite a while if its a 1/2 watt speaker
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
^^ill try and get soundclips if i have the time to record something.

^idk what the battery life is yet but I've played for an hour already on one battery.
Schematic is about as simple as it gets
Theres also a breadboard layout somewhere at beavisaudio.com (great site btw)
What was the speaker ohmage?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Jul 30, 2008,
peanut can amp ftw! that's awesome. i wanna try!
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
i made one too, but i also added a simple jfet preamp so it would sound better
Im actually going to try this when i have to spare time o.o" Seeing as for me it would be quite the advantage one of this and i really dont need that loud of a thing atm so i can be happy with only this xD
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Invader Jim
It can power from 4 to 16 ohms, asfastasdark. It also sounds terrible, but what can you expect from using only 3 components...

Very true, do you have any suggestion for better DIY battery-powered amps? Ruby/Little Gem a lot better?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Nuckin Futs!
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by asfastasdark
Very true, do you have any suggestion for better DIY battery-powered amps? Ruby/Little Gem a lot better?

Ruby and Lil Gem will be alot better, but I dunno if that'd still be good. Just go to runoffgroove and listen to the soundclips (I have dial-up so I can't do that ).

Anyway, here's a schem I 'invented' of what I like to call the Little Gem 1.5. It's a Little Gem Mark 1 with the input buffer of the Little Gem Mark 2. That way, you have the simplicity of build and low parts count of LG1 with the better tone of LG2 (but LG 1.5 is still 1/2w power instead of 1w).

It's unverified. Someone build it and tell me how it goes/sounds/upload clips...
edit: And try not to take the credit for 'inventing' it...

I also have a Tube version of the Ruby, called the Ruby Tubey. If anyone wants to try to build it (that's not a beginner), PM me and I'll give you the schem.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jul 31, 2008,
^yeah the distortion is really fizzy lol. I was just psyched that it actually worked and exaggerated a little(maybe more than a lil ). Thats a good idea on your schem btw, i may do that.

I have been breadboarding a fuzz and running that into it and it sounds decent, i may house it in the can too and add an on switch. If not ill just make a ruby or something.

It is fun building amps and effects, everyone who wants to should try, its really not all that difficult.