So, the deal is, I currently have a guitar (Ibanez S520EX), set up with some Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings (that's 9 - 46). I'm looking it to possibly changing to a heavier gauge of strings. Not an extreme change, just a set of 10s instead of the 9s. This isn't something I'm experienced with, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I play mainly lead oriented things, really only in standard tuning, (sometimes going Eb), and I'm wondering what impact (if any) this change of gauge would have on playability, and in particular the action. I'm aware that the increase in gauge means more tension, and hence it would be slightly more difficult to bend, but does this also equate to a lower possible action (after neck relief is taken into account, of course, along with setting up the bridge for the new gauge). I have no issue as far as bending power goes, but am curious as to the effect on the action.

Thanks in advance

~Mike
Last edited by Malerick at Jul 30, 2008,
Larger strings need more room to vibrate. Chances are that the change is so small that there will be no needed adjustment to your action, but you may find that you need to raise it just a touch.
Not taking any online orders.
I find that heavier gauge strings actually need less room to vibrate because they have more tension. This allows me to actually play with a lower action. This is completely opposite to what CorduroyEW said, and may be completely wrong :P

But if you tune your high e string to b, the high e string (which is now tuned down to b) vibrates more than the actual b string. *shrugs
Gear:
M'Gerada classical guitar (first crappy guitar)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (sold)
Laney 15w SS (sold)
Cheapo Aldi Acoustic
Pocket Pod (borken)
Ibanez RGR421
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Haha, thanks Corduroy and Reck. I thought that it would be as Reck described (bigger string = more inertia = more tension = less room needed for vibration), but I wasn't sure... and I'm still not XD. Still, thanks!
well with the hybrid set you have a heavy set of 10's and a light set of 9's. So your heavy string are already 10's. If you want your light strings to be heavier than get a pack of 10's. Or if all together it isn't heavy enough.... get a hybrid set of 10-50... which are 10's on the light strings and 11's on the heavy strings. I use a hybrid set of 10-52.. which have 12's on the heavy strings but im also tuned to drop c.
The 10s are a little bit heavier, I generally use 10s because I have a pretty heavy pick attack and I just prefer to use something a little bit stiffer. And yeah, it lets you play with the action lower as well (but having your action too low makes bending feel weird imo).

But I usually switch between hybrid and regular slinkys, its not a huge difference. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for the other.
in standard tuning i use 10-50 which like i said are 10's and 11's... i like the 11's on the heavy strings because they are tight and make it easier to play death metal riffs and thrash riffs. And they dont sound weak. Makes it sound heavier and then the 10's are on the light strings for solos.
Quote by solidsnake15
in standard tuning i use 10-50 which like i said are 10's and 11's... i like the 11's on the heavy strings because they are tight and make it easier to play death metal riffs and thrash riffs. And they dont sound weak. Makes it sound heavier and then the 10's are on the light strings for solos.

This makes zero sense whatsoever.