hey UGers, Im planning on starting to play bass. could anyone recommend a bass & amp. I guess my budget is a grand. these are the main bass's ive been looking at

Ibanez atk300
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK300-Electric-Bass-?sku=511834

schecter 004
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-004-Bass?sku=513841

Ive tryed out the ibanez it was pretty nice, im dying to try out the schecter. if there is another bass i should be looking at plz tell. oh & i have no clue wat amp i should get, could someone recommend one. im looking for a combo, mainly for bedroom practice.

thnx
Last edited by Devilman2020 at Jul 30, 2008,
well iv only played a few basses but one of those was an Ibanez ATK300 and i really badly want to buy it.

if you bought that you could also buy an ashdown mag but since you only need it for practise you could get anything

just stay away from epiphones/gibsons and behringer
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by salemboicot
i liked the schecter. I like maple fingerboards. think that it has a better sound than ibanez. But
i have never really like the sound of ibanez basses.

i think this calls for a poll
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
That Schecter looks great, I'd give that one a serious look. The ATK is a great bass for the price too, though, so definitely try both and decide what you like for yourself.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
look at some G&L basses
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I have the Ibanez, its great.
Ihave never seen that schecter,though.It look like the shizz IMO.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
the ATK sound is somewhere between a stingray and a really classic/ old school Pbass.

the Achecter has a more modern style. but more twords punk than metal
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I bought that ibanez today and it's great, looks and sounds great. If you can't try the Schecter definitely get the ibanez. What sort of music are you gonna be playing?

P.S. Denmark Street is insane!
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Look in the FAQ
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ScottB.
I bought that ibanez today and it's great, looks and sounds great. If you can't try the Schecter definitely get the ibanez. What sort of music are you gonna be playing?

P.S. Denmark Street is insane!

style of music hmmm, well i guess funk, blues, classic rock, idk anything that sounds good & is fun to play
Are those the only ones you have played? Go hit up a store that has a variety, let your hands choose, not your eyes. I think you should play a P-bass, I think everyone should, but thats me. As for amps, I will always recomend Peavey, and Ashdown.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by JobyByTheNight
Are those the only ones you have played? Go hit up a store that has a variety, let your hands choose, not your eyes. I think you should play a P-bass, I think everyone should, but thats me. As for amps, I will always recomend Peavey, and Ashdown.

dont forget jazz basses, everyone should try one of those aswell
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Do you really want to spend a grand on your first lot of gear? If you end up not liking it, the resale value isn't great with instruments or amps.

well bass was the first insurment i ever learned how to play, that was about 9 years ago. after a year in of playing bass, i started playing guitar, ive been playing guitar for 8 years now. i want to take up bass but also play guitar. ive tryed the ibanez & i like it alot so ima go with that. now i need a amp, can someone recommend me one?
Quote by JobyByTheNight

dont worry man the tone is wats important. I have been looking at a rickenbaker bass, i tried one at the place i work at it sounded pretty awesome. i think with employee discount i could get it for 850 or 900 i dont remember
Quote by Devilman2020
dont worry man the tone is wats important. I have been looking at a rickenbaker bass, i tried one at the place i work at it sounded pretty awesome. i think with employee discount i could get it for 850 or 900 i dont remember

900 what? I'm assuming dollars, but it really annoys me when people are too lazy to put the $ sign. The dollar isn't the only currency in the world.

As for the Ric, lovely basses, but don't do it. Not if your gonna have it on the side. Something a bit more mid level might be more suitable, I would say go with the ATK's. They are awesome basses, maybe even a Musicman Sub if you can find them anywhere.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Devilman2020

Tone is important, as is feel.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by JobyByTheNight
Tone is important, as is feel.

As the amp is what dictates the majority of your tone, many would say that feel is far more important on an instrument.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
acoustic ab50. I love those things.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by CaseOnBass
An ATK300 as your first bass? **** you're lucky.

It has nothing to do with luck. I work 2 jobs, 80 hours a week. first job covers rent, second job covers everything else. sometimes it too much buy hey wat can yea do lol
Last edited by Devilman2020 at Aug 2, 2008,
well you've worked hard and you deserve to treat yourself to an ATK (Y)(Y)
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
well you've worked hard and you deserve to treat yourself to an ATK (Y)(Y)

lol right on man
Quote by sonsie
so when you going to go buy it?

becuase im GASing for an ATK

and also if you want you can save up for this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK750QM-Bass-Guitar?sku=517419

its just a suggestion

thats pretty kool looking how does that compare to the 300? wen i first played the 300 i was pretty happy with it. it sounded pretty awesome, i was playing through a half stack dont know wat company it was. but it sounded real nice. I might pick one up on saturday
well to be honest im not really sure

you'll have to ask someone who plays both

but from what i can see its the same thing except that it also comes with a jazz pickup and a quilt maple top which makes it look a lot nicer
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by the humanity
acoustic ab50. I love those things.

this guy reccomended an amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Never buy anything purely on recommendation. I hate the tone Ashdown amps give. I know it's a good tone, and won't hesitate to recommend them. However, I would never want to buy one.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by the humanity
this guy reccomended an amp.

lol You stand by that amp strongly, ima go to sam ash & try it out if they have it. thanks everyone for the help u guys are the best lmao