It seems like so long ago when i bought my first guitar...a First Act from wally world..I loved and learned on it...

Then along came my custom Fender strat and i realized the First Act SUCKED.

Anyways a few days ago I was talkin to one of my friends i had lost contact with and i remembered he had my old guitar. Well..needless to say its still a piece of *insert vulgar language here*.

So being as crappy as it is and my being bored ive decided that im gonna fix it up a little bit.

Plans:
Strip out ALL the old electronics
Strip the paint
New Paint Job*im thinkin tribal or celtic, any color ideas?*
Routing the body for a humbucker
New Neck gonna put the order out soon
New tuners*Schaller Locking tuners*
New pickup*EMG 81, would put a blackout in it but it would take the tone of the crappy wood*
New wicked pickguard
And some good ole straplocks

So any questions? Or any ideas cause im just doing this outta boredom so any ideas are completely welcome
Last edited by The_V_Player at Aug 5, 2008,
I was actually thinking of doing this, my cousin has a first act I might try to get off him, only problem is I'm in jersey, he's in Colorado. I only have an acoustic so I figured it would be good to try to make something out of this.
You can probably buy one off ebay for like $10 lol. If i actually liked the guitar I wouldnt do as much but i dont so i am =D

Boredom+Old Guitar=Cool New Guitar? =P We'll find out
Seriously, I'd have a think about how it's going to turn out!!

If you are talking about getting a new neck, and replacing pretty much everything else, why not buy a good quality body and assemble a decent guitar? Bodies can be sourced quite cheaply.

If you get a really good finish on it, you'll be gutted if it comes out crap because it's all built around a cheap body (and you have some nice sounding ideas!) - I know this because I built a Saga kit, and I did a lovely job of the finish, but the guitar was pretty poor, although it did prompt me to by a proper Telecaster, which was the best guitar related decision I ever made! The Saga has gone now.
Last edited by mark_wuk at Jul 30, 2008,
Yeah I know and I thought about that.. Which is why I decided on the EMG 81 Pickup. In all honesty I really DO NOT care all that much for EMG pickups because they dont really use the tone of your wood, therefore if you have a crappy guitar and put an EMG in it it'll sound pretty good on metal but take a passive pickup that actually use the woods tone and it sounds like crap. If it was a good guitar I would put a Seymour Duncan in there but even the active Blackout actually uses the woods tone so for this project im sticking with the EMG on the this one.
Ok so i found a couple Ibanez humbuckers in my room today while i was cleaning and im gonna use one until i have the cash for the EMG. Does anyone know which pot i need for the Ibanez? Cause im gonna order one but i need to know which one. And im also ordering the pickguard from guitarfetish.com.

Future pickguard:

Yeah thats what i thought but the owner of our local shop said somethin about a 250k and i was just makin sure.
And tonight my friend is makin the Celtic design and my friends bringin the guitar over so i should be able to post pics soon
Active pickups use like 25K pots. Not 250k or 500k.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I know that the active pickups use 25k pots which they come with, but in my earlier post i said im using an ibanez pickup till i have the cash for my EMG so asked which pot to use for the Ibanez pickup
Man, I just did a bunch of that to my first guitar, an old Gibson Sonex. Let me tell you, it was worth every bit of effort and money. I dropped a SD AHB-2 Metal in the bridge and an EMG 89 (coil tapped 85) in the neck and this thing is a monster. It's my daily driver now. If you play metal, definitely get the AHB-2.

It's great to have a beater that screams. Have fun with it.
Quote by noisefarmer
while yr at it you might as well replace the body and the wood too.

then what would be the point of the First Act guitar?
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by noisefarmer
while yr at it you might as well replace the body and the wood too.

GTFO.
Learning English would help too.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.