hey

i have an ashdown MAG combo, and i saw that it has two knobs on each side, 1 called input and 1 called output

when i put either higher it goes louder

my question is which 1 should i be puttin higher, like should i keep the input at 12 oclock and then change the output or vice versa

also does it make any difference?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by salemboicot
i don't really know, but at a guess is one for adjusting how loud the signal from the instrument is going into the amp, and then the other controls the signal out of the amp.....wtf, does that even make sense???

i think thats what you mean and thx but what im asking is whats the difference with turning the input up instead of the output or vice versa?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
if that's what they do, then if the input of the instrument is too high, it will distort cos the signal will be too strong, but if you have a bass with a crap signal you can turn the input up to
compensate for it, or if it is active you can turn the signal down. And the other just seems like what you'd do with a normal gain control. so distortion or not.
ok thanks so much for that

it also makes a lot more sense than ur previous post
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
What you do is you keep the output at 0.

Then you turn the input up until you're in the perfect spot for it - it should say on a threshold meter or VU Meter or something.

Then, you turn up the volume until you get to the desired volume.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
ok that sounds good but where exactly should i let the needle reach on the VU meter?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Looks like you want it about 3 on the VU. Take a look in the manual though, might tell you there.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

ok thanks for that il have a look into it

EDIT: i just put the input on full and it barely goes by '10' on the meter

is that normal?

note that im play a fender p-bass with passive electronics
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Jul 30, 2008,
Are you putting it into the right input? One is for passive instruments, the other for actives.

See which one puts your bass at a higher input level.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

yeah i put it in the right jack

its says the high jack is for passive instruments so i put it in there
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
yeah i put it in the right jack

its says the high jack is for passive instruments so i put it in there

Oh, okay.

Um... I guess that's normal then. I'm not sure what to say now.

Enjoy?

As long as it's loud, I guess it doesn't matter lol.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

lol ok thanks for that nutter

i appreciate the help
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I find on my MAG that the input makes a difference to the tone - the EQ is more effective with a higher input level and even with the EQ bypassed it sounds a bit beefier with higher input.
sorry for the double post but...

hey nutter i figured out what i was doing wrong

i had the volume knob on the bass turned down so that when i turned it back up again the meter went higher

just thought ud like to know
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I wouldn't rely too much on the vu meter - it's not that accurate and your ears are a better judge of when you've got it too high.
Quote by sonsie
sorry for the double post but...

hey nutter i figured out what i was doing wrong

i had the volume knob on the bass turned down so that when i turned it back up again the meter went higher

just thought ud like to know

I didn't think to ask about that.

Oh well!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

lol ok thanks for your help guys

il just play with what its on now if it doesnt make that much of a difference

but if i put the input too high can i blow the speaker?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
i find the VU meter extrememly helpful, i have my needle right before it goes into the red area to give some nice punch.
1 last question

what does the sub-harmonics knob do?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
It's an octave effect. Press the button and turn the knob up and turn the bass up on the EQ and you should hear what it does.
Youre supposed to have it so when you pluck the strings in your normal way, the needle pings to the 0(just before the red bit), it's about 2 o clock for me but it'll change depending on your technique.

This feeds the correct supply of power to the preamp to keep it beefy but not distorting! You may want to set the input level lower than it should, so when you play a peice with higher dynamics, it doesnt clip.

Preamp distortion is not nice.

Then you set the EQ to how you want.

Then you set the output level to what is required.

If you want a good analogy, imagine the amp is a car/motorbike. To get the best performance (not economically), you want to keep the revs high, this is where all the power is. If the revs are low, it wont pull as much as when theyre near the red line. Go over the red line and you can **** your engine over.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Jonnomainman
Youre supposed to have it so when you pluck the strings in your normal way, the needle pings to the 0, it's about 2 o clock for me but it'll change depending on your technique.

This feeds the correct supply of power to the preamp to keep it beefy but not distorting! You may want to set the input level lower than it should, so when you play a peice with higher dynamics, it doesnt clip.

Preamp distortion is not nice.

Then you set the EQ to how you want.

Then you set the output level to what is required.

Pffft.

Stop saying what I said but in one post, you big meanie!

Love you really
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I've got the same amp and I have a question. How do I get the VU meter to move? I'm playing a Passive Squier Jazz bass and I'm using the correct input, when I turn the input knob it doesn't move at all. I can't get it past -20, and it's supposed to be at 0.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
there is a EQ in out button, check if thats in, if it is then boost some of the frequencies.
Quote by srvflood
I've got the same amp and I have a question. How do I get the VU meter to move? I'm playing a Passive Squier Jazz bass and I'm using the correct input, when I turn the input knob it doesn't move at all. I can't get it past -20, and it's supposed to be at 0.

you have to play as well.

the needle will only move when you play.

if the needle doesnt move, and you get no sounds from the amp, check the volume on the bass.

if the needle doesnt move, but you hear sounds from the amp when you play, your VU meter is broke.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
This is a very helpful thread, I have to use an ashdown sometimes at the rehearsal rooms I go to and I only had a vague idea of what either knob would do.
Quote by Jonnomainman
you have to play as well.

the needle will only move when you play.

if the needle doesnt move, and you get no sounds from the amp, check the volume on the bass.

if the needle doesnt move, but you hear sounds from the amp when you play, your VU meter is broke.

Looks like my VU meter is broken. Awesome. Is it a big deal or is it something that I absolutely have to get fixed?
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Looks like my VU meter is broken. Awesome. Is it a big deal or is it something that I absolutely have to get fixed?

It's not a deal at all, just asthetically something annoying. If its still under warrenty, take it in for repairs.

You'll have to set your input level by using your ear.

Turn the input knob up a little then play, then turn it up a little more. Repeat until it starts to distort. When it starts to distort, turn the input knob down a tad and you'll be set.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5