I'm looking at a new amp and I was wondering if anyone has anything bad or good to say about these half stacks.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
The DSL is an all-tube amp, whereas the AVT has a tube in the preamp. The DSL is a far better amplifier albeit more expensive.

Do you need a half-stack or just want one?

Whats your budget and styles played?
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
I've got up to 1.2k to spend, I'd preffer to have a half stack for gigs, however it isn't neccesary.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
AVT range is ok, kind of overpriced, the only decent one is the AVT50 (for some reason its voiced differently from the larger ones).

DSL range is also ok, and kind of overpriced, the DSL50/100 heads are very solid, but the 401 is a bit lacking. Still, decent lineup, much better than the TSL line (which again, are voiced differently). Lead channel is pretty useless though (at least for my tastes). The DSL100 sounds great though, probably the best Marshall thats come out since the JMP2203 (imo).

Either way, a halfstack is probably too much for most gigs, especially the DSL heads. They sound a bit uninspired until you can really open up on the volume (like all tube Marshalls). Most places simply will not let you turn your amp up that loud. If you are really serious about getting a half stack, you'd better get an attenuator.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by al112987
AVT range is ok, kind of overpriced, the only decent one is the AVT50 (for some reason its voiced differently from the larger ones).

DSL range is also ok, and kind of overpriced, the DSL50/100 heads are very solid, but the 401 is a bit lacking. Still, decent lineup, much better than the TSL line (which again, are voiced differently). Lead channel is pretty useless though (at least for my tastes). The DSL100 sounds great though, probably the best Marshall thats come out since the JMP2203 (imo).

Either way, a halfstack is probably too much for most gigs, especially the DSL heads. They sound a bit uninspired until you can really open up on the volume (like all tube Marshalls). Most places simply will not let you turn your amp up that loud. If you are really serious about getting a half stack, you'd better get an attenuator.

+1 I agree, Thou I have more of a hard on for dsl's there a great gigging amp you can achieve a good range of tone with it. I like to think of them as a jack of all trades, master of none.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
The DSL heads are definitely solid, the green crunch channel actually gets a great range of tones and does a decent plexi imitation as well.
Quote by al112987
The DSL heads are definitely solid, the green crunch channel actually gets a great range of tones and does a decent plexi imitation as well.

finally someone that agrees
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Just recently bought my DSL401 and it's certainly better than the AVT range. I found the DSL401 to be a great amp but it improved noticeably when the tubes were changed for a set of JJ Tesla's and the stock speaker was changed to a Celestion G12T-75. The only thing it doesn't do really well now is high gain and I'll buy a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem to sort that problem.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Just recently bought my DSL401 and it's certainly better than the AVT range. I found the DSL401 to be a great amp but it improved noticeably when the tubes were changed for a set of JJ Tesla's and the stock speaker was changed to a Celestion G12T-75. The only thing it doesn't do really well now is high gain and I'll buy a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem to sort that problem.

yes iv changed the valves and speaker in mines and it sounds good, only problem is it costs about 100 pounds to change the stuff to make the amp better so you could getting something better with the money
That is certainly true but there are plenty second hand ones available on ebay that are in excellent condition for a fraction of the price. I tried a new DSL401 extensively and was about to buy it new for £450 , then make some modifications. Purely by chance I noticed mine on ebay with the modifications already done. It's in mint condition and I bought it for £280 OK, in fairness I'd have probably gone for a V30 speaker myself but I have no complaints with the G12T and certainly not for the money.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I'd go with the DSL. Great Marshall cleans and the awesome Marshall distortion. You can get a wide array of sounds with it.

Be warned though. It is a very organic amp, any mistakes in your playing will be very bright and clear. And because of this, a lot of the kids that haven't found their voice on guitar or figured out how to play well and set up their tone well bash this amp as well as the TSL line.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
I'd go with the DSL. Great Marshall cleans and the awesome Marshall distortion. You can get a wide array of sounds with it.

Be warned though. It is a very organic amp, any mistakes in your playing will be very bright and clear. And because of this, a lot of the kids that haven't found their voice on guitar or figured out how to play well and set up their tone well bash this amp as well as the TSL line.

The TSL line is voiced differently from the DSL line though. The DSL lines are ok, the green channel do sound very organic and is very dynamic but imo, the lead channels sound bad and are completely useless. The TSL channels just add on more useless fizzy high gain channels. They sound ok but not for the price you have to pay for them unless you buy them used.
avoid avts
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?