I am looking to get an 80's type heavy/thrash metal sound. Two amps that have caught my attention are the Laney VC50 and Mesa Mark III

I like the Laney because I have heard that they are like Marshall JCM800's on steroids, and that is exactly the sound I need. I am looking at the Mesa well... because it is a Mesa and it is really cheap for an amp of its type. The Laney is cheaper. They are both the combo versions. Any opinions as to what I should get?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
I havent played either but I believe the Mesa is mor suited to heavy/thrash.

lol im from canberra also
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
By heavy metal, I mean more the traditional 80's metal like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Maybe I should have made that more clear?

Cool, 3/5 of my band is from UG lol
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by grobbo91
By heavy metal, I mean more the traditional 80's metal like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Maybe I should have made that more clear?

Cool, 3/5 of my band is from UG lol

Im looking for a band in Canberra.

Know anyone?
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Laney would be more suited to a hard rock sound a'la Iron Maiden and the like. Haven't tried the Mesa but I think it would be more modern. Laney has fantastic cleans. Base your decision on that.
^Apparently the combo I have is the exact same as the amp you have (VH100R) except in combo form. Have you ever tried to get a heavy metal tone out of it? Paul Gilbert used them for a while and I really liked his metal tone he got from the Laney.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Quote by grobbo91
^Apparently the combo I have is the exact same as the amp you have (VH100R) except in combo form. Have you ever tried to get a heavy metal tone out of it? Paul Gilbert used them for a while and I really liked his metal tone he got from the Laney.

It has metal gain, but the voicing isn't really suited so much to metal as hard rock. Yes you can play metal with it but it will have a lot of middy high-end. I can play stuff like Killswitch Engage when the amps gain is on 8
I just remembered that Opeth use them, and they get a pretty heavy sound out of them. I'm kinda worried that the Mesa will sound too modern for the tone I want.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Thanks for that video. I might go with the Laney then. It seems heavy enough for my tastes.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200