That people are much meaner on the internet than in real life?

I've noticed that while in the real world most people will avoid directly criticizing or belittling others, such behavior is rampant online. Flaming, if you will, is an almost exclusively online phenomenon.

I remember a thread a while ago, about a website where you would upload a photograph of yourself (or someone else, like I did several times) and other anonymous users would rate/describe "you." It shocked me how casually people would rate any photograph "hideous," how "gay" and the like were used to describe (almost definitely heterosexual) people.

I realized that I am often guilty of this myself. Insulting people on the internet is so much easier than doing it in person. It's cold and emotionless. You can't see how you hurt them. I am far too quick to insult someone whose taste in music I don't agree with, or who posts a photograph of a girlfriend who I find decidedly unattractive, and from what I've observed, I am far from the only one.

Why do we do this? Do some people, or all people, have an innate need to belittle others? Does the anonymity, the impersonality, of the internet make this easier? Do you, in fact, think that I am completely wrong about this?

Discuss.

Oh, and inb4 people insulting me and calling my post "gay" in an attempt to be funny. You're not.

Edit: OK, I admit it. You are funny. I laughed at the first couple "mean" posts.
kill all humans
Last edited by alaskan_ninja at Jul 30, 2008,
That's a stupid idea. Fuck off.

I'm funny.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
i think in some aspects yeh people can be. but i guess maybe cos its less personal then actually talking to someone in real life so there should be less chance of it being taken seriously.
i see what you mean... alot of people think its fine to insult people on the internet rather than in real life because you cant see the reaction... Similar to those people on Xbox Live.. you cannot see their faces
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
You shut your whore mouth when men are talking.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The impersonality of the internet mostly. If you called someones girl friend an ugly dog in real life you're likely to get a swift punch to the face, where as you can't get a crack in the face online.
Quote by 89cruefan
i think in some aspects yeh people can be. but i guess maybe cos its less personal then actually talking to someone in real life so there should be less chance of it being taken seriously.

youre gay

see what i did thar?
Less to worry about yeah.

To be honest though whether online or 'irl lawl' I'll confront someone about something if it's annoying me.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Less to worry about yeah.

To be honest though whether online or 'irl lawl' I'll confront someone about something if it's annoying me.

Reva beat down? Video tape it please
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur