Page 1 of 2
Because ive been playing for about 6 months now and i havnt yet, should i? why are they so important?
My Youtube Channel

ESP LTD KH202 Kirk Hammett Signature ROCKS! n im gettin it, which ROCKS EVEN MORE!

Quote by MightyAl
I'm going to say mine would be one with a build-in Fleshlight, so I can f*ck my guitar and play it at the same time.
because 90% of the time, a guitarist is playing rhythm guitar. To play good rhythm guitar you'll need to know a lot of chords.
Yes, you should. Most songs are pretty much built on a chord progression. I also found that knowing and (very importantly) understanding chords helped my theory knowledge loads.
No question about it, i've been playing guitar for just short of a year the first thing i learnt was the chords my mate who had his guitar 4 months before me still hasn't learnt them and he sucks at guitar, he's held back by not knowing the basic's
what have you been playing these last six months? and yes it is important to learn chords.
Quote by Freepower
You mean, the whole time you've been playing, you haven't played three notes together?

And YES.

ye i hav, i didnt know they were considered chords i still ha a lot 2 learn
My Youtube Channel

ESP LTD KH202 Kirk Hammett Signature ROCKS! n im gettin it, which ROCKS EVEN MORE!

Quote by MightyAl
I'm going to say mine would be one with a build-in Fleshlight, so I can f*ck my guitar and play it at the same time.
Quote by Pibbz
A chord is just when 3 or more different notes are played simulateously. Doesnt even need to be played by the same instrument
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Pibbz

So does everyone, you just happen to realize it.

You can "invent" chords, but it also helps to learn as many of everyone else's as possible. I remember a great story about the Beatles -

Whenever they heard there was a bloke with a new chord in Liverpool, they would all jump in a van and track him down, and swap a chord of theirs for his one.

The Beatles did pretty well.
Quote by DimebagRob
what have you been playing these last six months? and yes it is important to learn chords.

Quote by Freepower
You mean, the whole time you've been playing, you haven't played three notes together?

Lol, I really wanted to say these kinda quotes but didn't want to sound mean.

That's a big fat YES from me too.
Quote by Fatty Sizzler
Chords are the foundation of music.

What he said.

Even if you want just to play lead, you'll still need to know about chords.
Chords are essential. Learn 'em, love 'em, write songs with 'em.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
yes, chords can be used just to teach your hand thru muscle memory where to go.
Just remember, at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
Chords are used all over the place. Chords are even used in soloing, in a way. Often, lead players use arpeggios, and to know what an arpeggio is is to know what a chord is. They are the foundation of the song. You can't call yourself a guitarist if all you do is mope around with 5th chords all the time.

Ok, let's back up for a minute. You're six months in, you don't need to be learning all about chord contruction and arpeggios yet. Learn the basic chords. Learn A-G major. Then, start learning songs that use a lot of chords, and not just powerchords. This will introduce you to a lot of new chords and you will learn them just from playing the song.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
What do you intend to play your wild and crazy solos over?

Learn about your foundation which are chords other wise you are going to come unstuck very quickly.
The first ones you should learn are G A E D and C not neccisarilly in that order. There are many songs that use these basic chords in the open position. A classic would be knockin on heavans door. Many beginers are taught this in one of there first lessons for the purpose of learning their open chords.
Using chords will help you in EVERYTHING you do musically.
hey are what dictates what sounds good when you are soling and everything.
PLUS sometimes you are gonna have to do rhythm and if someone says, play a Dmajor, Cmajor and Gmajor and you stand there going ' a what??' they arent gonna take you seriously.

Ive been passed tons of Auditions on my chord knowledge alone.
Its only after ive passed they find out how good i am at lead aswell.

Plus! Learning chords also ensures you learn rhythm. Having a good sense of rhythm is essential. Personally my timing is really good, because i only played rhythm for my first 2 and a half years of playing (ive been going about 4 years now). I can keep time with myself really well.

Well thats how i think i got so good at timing.

So basically, YES. LEARN YOUR CHORDS!
Chords are one of the most basic concepts in harmony, and if you want to progress at all as a musician, you would do well to study them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
so riddel me this, what should i learn about cords, very broad question i know so let me explaine. im a beginning guitar player, ive HAD a guitar for a while but didn't really start playing untill i found out that playing guitar keeps me sane from the evils of engineering so about 6 months. while im compleately happy playing scales and reading as many of the lessons as i can trying to apply whem when i can, i would like to broden my horizions.

learning chords seems very intimidating, because theres to many and so much to learn i dont know where to start or what direction to take. i played sax for about 10 years or so, since elementary school and i thought that i could translate sax into guitar but no dice my knoledge means jack.
I’m an....
Engeneer
Enginere
Enginiere
Im good with math
Basically, you need to start with your open chords first. The hardest part is switching between them quickly, but if you practice consistently for a while, you'll get it. Next, you'll have to learn your barre chords. I can go more indepth with the actual formation of chords, but I suggest you find an article on it instead. I'm no teacher.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
At very very least learn all the major, minor and dominant 7th chords open, and major, minor, dominant and major7th and minor7th barre chords
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
At very very least learn all the major, minor and dominant 7th chords open, and major, minor, dominant and major7th and minor7th barre chords

What is the '7th'? cuz ive read about the 5th or total guitar magazine and i didnt understand it, whats the difference between 5th n 7th?
My Youtube Channel

Quote by MightyAl
a 7th chord is one that has an added 7th note in the chord. Most chords are made from the 1st, 3rd and 5th. Take the scale of C as an example

C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

C chord is 1, 3, 5 which is C E G
C maj7 chord is 1, 3, 5, 7 which is C E G B

7th chords often add an interesting extra bit to a chord or a progression. They can sound jazzy. For the time being, I'd suggest just learning all the major and minor chords in open and barred position. www.gosk.com - this is a useful site for chords.
Quote by Pibbz
What is the '7th'? cuz ive read about the 5th or total guitar magazine and i didnt understand it, whats the difference between 5th n 7th?

Theory is very helpful when learning chords...check out
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
and
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
i was reading on gosk and is a basic chord an open chord?
My Youtube Channel

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by c14h10n2
so riddel me this, what should i learn about cords, very broad question i know so let me explaine. im a beginning guitar player, ive HAD a guitar for a while but didn't really start playing untill i found out that playing guitar keeps me sane from the evils of engineering so about 6 months. while im compleately happy playing scales and reading as many of the lessons as i can trying to apply whem when i can, i would like to broden my horizions.

learning chords seems very intimidating, because theres to many and so much to learn i dont know where to start or what direction to take. i played sax for about 10 years or so, since elementary school and i thought that i could translate sax into guitar but no dice my knoledge means jack.

haha we are similar! i played sax for 19 years (and counting) and ahve recently started guitar! i know what you mean with the knowledge transfer , ive found it very hard i learnt just open chords and barre chords for now and they translate to most songs well =)

i am trying to learn some jazzy hords with 13ths and 11th on them but i understand its alot of hard work
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Quote by c14h10n2

How is it intimidating? Its probably the first thing you should learn. Learn E A D G C and be able to change them smoothly then worry about what next. You said your an engineer. Didnt you learn to add and subtract before you got into triganomitry? If you look at the whole big picture its intimidating learn one thing and move on and its not.
ask me to differentiate something and i can do it, i have long since forgotten addition and sutraction. intimidation may have been the wrong word. let me explaine in "engineer" talk. i saw my physicd book for the first time and it was intimidation because all that information i was going to learn. and i did i learned it section by section over time and then it wasn't intimidation anymore. when i say guitar chords are intimidating i mean that there is SO much information out there i dont know where to start thus your suggestion "knocking on hevans door" from earlier in the thread are invaluable to me.
I’m an....
Engeneer
Enginere
Enginiere
Im good with math
Well yeah, but I would reccomend learning the basic open chords E major, A major, you can find the others here http://www.cyberfret.com/chords/beginning-7/index.php
After that learn the basic power chord shape and you will then be able to play every single chord up and down the neck using only one finger shape shape (but they won't be minor or major) if you like rock and metal you don't need to worry about other chord shapes as much.

A power chord looks like this

------------------------------
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
7-----------------------------
7---------------------------
5-------------------------- (you don't have to play the high 7 (the octave note)

The above chord is an A5, we know its A because the note at the 5th fret on the low E is an A if we moved this same shape up to frets it would become a B5, because and you guessed it, the note at the 7th string of a low E is a B.
The chord names are 5's because the second highest note in them is 5 notes away from the lowest note otherwise known as the root or starting note and also this shape will always be an interval of a 5th no matter where you play it on the neck so every powerchord is a "5 chord".
You can also play the same shape with the lowest note starting on the A string, so now you just need to learn the notes on the fretboard (or be able to count up the neck and work them out)

Hey Presto, you can now play a chord of every possible note and thats good enough for a beginner, but you will start to absorb some theory; however, Angus Young of ACDC didn't even know the names of the power chords he was playing!
After your good with these learn E based barre chords which are another example of just using one shape that you can move up and down the neck.

Now Iv'e being playing for 2 years and that practically sums up everything I know about chords, I am able to play most songs and write my own music with a band, although I haven't bored you with construction theory or anything like that (but once again aim to learn this at some point)

Hope that helps... ask me if you need anything clearing up with this
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Aug 1, 2008,
Page 1 of 2