Hey all,

So I'm a little intrigued about the emotional attachment that people develop with their pets and stuff. I'm not amazed that it's possible or something, just interested about it. If you need a motive, it's because my sister's budgie of up to 8 years died today.

If you don't mind, I'd like to recount it. If you do mind, don't read this or skip to the last line. Prepare for a "wall of text".

So yeah, Ernie died today. It was quite a poignant passing because she finished up with her head in a toy that my sister gave her years and years ago. She came home round about an hour ago crying. It's weird because I could take the death of Ernie fine until she came home, and I cried a bit too. So did mum. We've had her for so long.

Recently Ernie ran into some trouble where she tried to lay an egg, but had some issues and ended up all bloodied up and such, on the verge of dying. It was some issue where she pushed out her internal organs or something along with the egg. So my sister took her to the vet and she got surgery done and such, and ended up surviving. Throughout all this, Ernie suffered with an improperly healed broken wing and foot problems, meaning she couldn't walk properly or fly at all. So I guess in a way, it's kind of nice that she finally gets to rest without being in some kind of pain.

I believe it was almost 8 years ago that we bought Ernie (and my budgie Tiny who is still alive) from a private breeder. Since they weren't tame, we had to do so ourselves and from memory, Ernie warmed up to my sister really quickly. She used to be really active, and rolled around chirping and playing with the toy that my sister bought her (and that she ended up passing with). She loved playing with pens and playing with my sister, and they spent so much time together, even when my sister was studying for her final high school exams (HSC in NSW). She's in first year of uni now.

So my sister came home and cried, sitting in front of Ernie's cage and I went over and hugged her and stuff, so mum decided to get a box to bury Ernie in. She went and got a box, and we all went outside and buried her under the roses. There were some really bad details in there concerning insensitive things my parents said, but I won't retell that. So now I've given my sis a mug of hot water, tissues etc. and now I think she'd like some alone time. I'll check back later.

So yeah. Feel free to tell any stories about your old pets if you wish, and discuss the emotional attachment if you want. Also, I didn't "use the searchbar" as many of you are keen to point out, but frankly, stuff it.

See you all later.
Quote by Chrois
So now I've given my sis a mug of hot water, tissues etc.

why do you hate your sister?

Id hate it if my dog died, it'd be worse than actual people dying I think, Id feel guilty like I didn't pay enough attention to her or whatnot you know taken her for granted and **** even though I know she was happy
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
why do you hate your sister?

Id hate it if my dog died, it'd be worse than actual people dying I think, Id feel guilty like I didn't pay enough attention to her or whatnot you know taken her for granted and **** even though I know she was happy

So your parents died...but at least you still have your dog. I know what you mean..but still.
Quote by JizzerWizzer
So your parents died...but at least you still have your dog. I know what you mean..but still.

hmm tough call who id miss more
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Yeah I had a budgie once. I loved him, and I definitely cried when he died. Thing is, I was the one who killed him. Apparently they don't like scuba diving.
A U S S I E
Wow, so youre telling me that youre birthday is 2day???
Well then, happy day
Sorry for my crappy english, im from Denmark
Quote by Ninosbarkho
Wow, so youre telling me that youre birthday is 2day???
Well then, happy day

...what?
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
I have a shih-tzu named Toby, he got poisoned once and we thought he was going to die, it depressed everyone in the house for days to see him just moping around, sleeping all the time. They told us that he'd be ok if the blood came back to his eyes and one morning I woke up to check on him and there were veins in his eyes. I was ecstatic, seriously. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to that dog <3
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Jcore44
Yeah I had a budgie once. I loved him, and I definitely cried when he died. Thing is, I was the one who killed him. Apparently they don't like scuba diving.

I'm sorry if that sounds insensitive.

meh, my cat died and I didn't give two sh1ts. tbh I was allergic to her anyway, so it was actually good for me
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/slann101/blog/34809/
^ my dog

its because for 8 + years, they are a large part of your life. you feed them, you look after them for so many years, when their suddenly gone it takes a while to adjust to.
the first time iv cried in front of anyone since i was about 10 was when i had to bury my dog who had been hit by a car. we had only had her for about a year, but none of our other dogs had died so it was quite a new feeling
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5